Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

  1. #1

    Default Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

    This thread may be a bit ridiculous, but just want to hear if any bros here do it be4.

    since, I am gg overseas, likely I will hug along the FOC Nikon tripod for shoot. But I realised that, once my camera on top (D700 and SB400 and 50mm 1.8g), it tends to like shaky . Not good long exposure shot.

    Anyway to modify the tripod for this trip. I am abit reluctant to lug a heavy tripod along or buy a Carbon tripod for this purpose.

  2. #2
    Member JohnJon82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lavender
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

    The center column got hook at bottom? Can hang your bag to it, make the tripod more steady. Just make sure the total weight of your camera + bag + stuff weight less than the tripod max allowable weight, or you will have a new camera + lens soon
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by small pig
    This thread may be a bit ridiculous, but just want to hear if any bros here do it be4.

    since, I am gg overseas, likely I will hug along the FOC Nikon tripod for shoot. But I realised that, once my camera on top (D700 and SB400 and 50mm 1.8g), it tends to like shaky . Not good long exposure shot.

    Anyway to modify the tripod for this trip. I am abit reluctant to lug a heavy tripod along or buy a Carbon tripod for this purpose.
    Be gentle with the FOC tripod.

    I used abit too much strength to pull out one of the legs, and the plastic clip broke. And the tripod cant be used anymore. And it happened in overseas. Lol

  4. #4
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Be gentle with the FOC tripod.

    I used abit too much strength to pull out one of the legs, and the plastic clip broke. And the tripod cant be used anymore. And it happened in overseas. Lol
    The Nikon hook is plastic? In comparison the one from canon is metal.... also FOC

  5. #5
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    The Nikon hook is plastic? In comparison the one from canon is metal.... also FOC
    I think he meant the clip on the leg and not the hook. Not sure what Nikon gave out... though, but I am not too excited about FOC tripod... even the Canon's one is not that amazing.

    Anyway, use your bag as stabilizer like what Johnjon had suggested... however if it was the tripod head that was shaky... then there is nothing to be done... except to use massive amount of duct tape. Or just forget about tripod and get yourself a monopod or use freehand.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  6. #6
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    The center column got hook at bottom? Can hang your bag to it, make the tripod more steady. Just make sure the total weight of your camera + bag + stuff weight less than the tripod max allowable weight, or you will have a new camera + lens soon
    Please make sure the bag touches the ground and is not swinging. Otherwise this method will rather 'improve' the instability ...
    EOS

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Please make sure the bag touches the ground and is not swinging. Otherwise this method will rather 'improve' the instability ...
    haha, the pendulum effect. (iirc) I think the bag must be as close to the ground as possible, but not touching.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

    haha, the pendulum effect. (iirc) I think the bag must be as close to the ground as possible, but not touching.
    Actually touching is good. Then secure the top of the bag to the centre hook using those bungee cords with hooks at the end, those type they use to secure stuff at the rack of motorcycles and bicycles

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually touching is good. Then secure the top of the bag to the centre hook using those bungee cords with hooks at the end, those type they use to secure stuff at the rack of motorcycles and bicycles
    ooo..ic..cos the hooks that i used is the "key-chain" hook. non-elastic...

    but well, I don't use that tripod already, so haven't been using this method since then.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  10. #10
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Curious to know why a flash is mounted.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya
    Curious to know why a flash is mounted.
    For night land scape portraits
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

  12. #12
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by small pig

    For night land scape portraits
    I see.. Have you tried triggering the setup and handhold your flash? You can control the lighting better this way.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  13. #13

    Default Re: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

    i realised the shaky part is the tripod plate that is connected to the pan head.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

    I find the FOC Nikon tripod not as steady although I have some weight hooked. I was using my friend's D90 with 18-200mm on this tripod. Very shaky.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    I think he meant the clip on the leg and not the hook. Not sure what Nikon gave out... though, but I am not too excited about FOC tripod... even the Canon's one is not that amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabskong View Post
    I find the FOC Nikon tripod not as steady although I have some weight hooked. I was using my friend's D90 with 18-200mm on this tripod. Very shaky.
    OT: On the contrary, the FOC tripod from Canon is quite steady (but weight abt 1.5kg), esp if it's centre hooked. Except that the ballhead given is not as "fluid".

  16. #16

    Default Re: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by small pig View Post
    This thread may be a bit ridiculous, but just want to hear if any bros here do it be4.

    since, I am gg overseas, likely I will hug along the FOC Nikon tripod for shoot. But I realised that, once my camera on top (D700 and SB400 and 50mm 1.8g), it tends to like shaky . Not good long exposure shot.

    Anyway to modify the tripod for this trip. I am abit reluctant to lug a heavy tripod along or buy a Carbon tripod for this purpose.
    IF you really want to modify your FOC tripod to stabilised it, either you have to stiffen it or damp out any oscillating movement. Either way, you will be adding bulk and weight to your FOC tripod.

    there are trade off and compromises.
    my best advice is look for a decent and small tripod that cost around $200 that may just hold your kit adequately.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kiasu Nation
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

    zzz can afford D700 but no money for tripod....

    dun regret it if your tripod give way and your D700 goes bye bye

  18. #18
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by small pig View Post
    i realised the shaky part is the tripod plate that is connected to the pan head.
    Btw... what is the brand and model of your FOC tripod. Actually I would suggest against it. Either use free hold, monopod or steadpod... but not the FOC tripod if you find it unstable... because even when it look stable after everything you try (even duct taping the tripod plate to the pan head... a gust of wind might bring your whole setup down to the ground... or worst - cliff.

    to support your multi-thousands dollars setup... better get something reliable.

    If seriously wanted to try out those FOC tripod... then at the very least, ensure that the camera is at all time 'connected' to you... such that, never let the neck strap leave your... neck... so that when the tripod fail, you can still rescue your camera in an instance.
    Last edited by rhino123; 2nd October 2011 at 12:19 PM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  19. #19

    Default

    Hey, dun save the money. Buy a decent tripod. I bought my at around the $158 at TK foto. I try using the foc tripod with d7000, 18-270 w/o flash it already shaking. With ur setup it will be worst. Dun save $ if u really need to spend it, if not u might end up spending more. my 2cent advise.

  20. #20
    Member JohnJon82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lavender
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    OT: On the contrary, the FOC tripod from Canon is quite steady (but weight abt 1.5kg), esp if it's centre hooked. Except that the ballhead given is not as "fluid".
    I got the Canon FOC tripod T3-3510. Being my 1st and only tripod I don't know is good or not, read everywhere free tripod always bad... The ballhead not very steady though, will creep a bit after I lock the screw before shoot.
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •