View Poll Results: Would u cover an important full day event for free, covering at your expenses

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 25.40%
  • No

47 74.60%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: would you cover an whole day event for free?

Default Re: would you cover an whole day event for free?

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    no for me because that would be ONE INCONSIDERATE friend/relative

ESPECIALLY relatives ..... ANYTHING go wrong....... every time u meet these relatives, you will be reminded of it
    If they do remind you of that in public just remind them that you did suggest they should pay for a pro rather then ask you work for free. That usually makes them shut up and forget/deny the event.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Thanks for all de advice bro.. C= will take note of it

Only if i have too much time on my hands.. well it depends actually. If it is something cultural, count me in! I do not mind it being free if it brings my eyes to the world

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    ... and further requests will follow for subsequent events; then how to say "No"...
    Just say "sorry, not free" or "better look for someone else as I'm not sure if I'll be free that day"
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Just say "sorry, not free" or "better look for someone else as I'm not sure if I'll be free that day"
    How about: "I would love to. You know how much I care for you, right? But unfortunately, it clashes with my grandma's wedding day. I am afraid I just can't say no to grandma."

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai

How about: "I would love to. You know how much I care for you, right? But unfortunately, it clashes with my grandma's wedding day. I am afraid I just can't say no to grandma."
    Ha.. Like that also can ar...

I had several encounters of similar nature, but stand firm on my position. I will tell them politely to engage a full time photographer to ensure professional-level service quality, and that I have other commitments that prevent me from being able to cover the event from start to end, and processing the photos.

I generally steer away from these, as once u start, it NEVER stops. If u do for friend A, friend B will have the same expectations ..and friend C, D etc.

This is very personal matter.Can't tell that much.It all depend on the photographer itself

This is entirely a personal decision.
    Money is not always the main issue and sometime we do it for experience.

this would be a Photographer-and-Company beware situation. it can turn into a huge mess if the Company doesn't like the photos.

i would like to think:

i) a good photographer rarely shoots for free without a good reason
    ii) a budding photographer might shoot for free to get experience, but one horrible set of photos can ruin a career
    iii) professionals will definitely not shoot for free (without a good reason) because it's their ricebowl
    iv) companies expect professional work because most of the time, they think a GWC is up to the job just because he/she owns a DSLR. i would love to see the hilarity that ensues from that "understanding"

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    this would be a Photographer-and-Company beware situation. it can turn into a huge mess if the Company doesn't like the photos.

i would like to think:

i) a good photographer rarely shoots for free without a good reason
    ii) a budding photographer might shoot for free to get experience, but one horrible set of photos can ruin a career
    iii) professionals will definitely not shoot for free (without a good reason) because it's their ricebowl
    iv) companies expect professional work because most of the time, they think a GWC is up to the job just because he/she owns a DSLR. i would love to see the hilarity that ensues from that "understanding"
    So true! Esp no.4. Mostly people will have the mindset that a GWC shoots nice photos, a GWC with exp rigs are pros.

impossible for me.....
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

I thought this is simple decision making.

If you mind then {
    What can they give me that I want?
    What can I give them that they want?
    Is the trade off, acceptable to me?
    Is the trade off, acceptable to them? }
    else if you don't mind then {
    just do it}

sorry if i am slow... wat does "gwc" means?

Quote Originally Posted by nyxes View Post
    sorry if i am slow... wat does "gwc" means?
    Guy/Girl With Camera

ahh, makes sense thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nyxes View Post
    ahh, makes sense thanks!
    it can also stand for "Guy/Girl Without Clothes"

i always "give a discount"

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    This is very personal matter.Can't tell that much.It all depend on the photographer itself
    yea. very personal. But I do see many of ppl take us for granted. Like, some would nag me to go take photo for them at events (races etc). At the end, they don't even say thank. Meal, transportation etc ur own. LOL. Oh well, the choice is ours. Now I just politely reject them. Period. Those photos of such people just delete out. hehe. Life already too much trouble. let's just keep it simple.

There was this friend once even challenged me sth like, when are you taking photo for me?, after she knew I'd just bought a DSLR. before that I took many nice photos for her. wtf. I learnt the hard way too. lol.
    Last edited by vlg134; 16th November 2011 at 03:03 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123