Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 133

Thread: Nikon's: A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses!!!

  1. #101
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    741

    Default Re: Nikon FB page under fire

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post


    btw this was shot using my iPhone 3GS
    with no fancy filters

    i would like to see some DSLR users beat this
    Erm...sorry me newbie here. Mind sharing what is the difficulty here? Is it just slap on a kit lens, close the aperture, put the dish with window behind and then shoot?

  2. #102
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Nikon FB page under fire

    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieInCS View Post
    Erm...sorry me newbie here. Mind sharing what is the difficulty here? Is it just slap on a kit lens, close the aperture, put the dish with window behind and then shoot?
    no picture no talk, i can show constant results with my iPhone
    Last edited by ortega; 30th September 2011 at 12:07 AM.

  3. #103

    Default Re: Nikon FB page under fire

    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieInCS View Post
    Might sound weird...but I write faster and better in exam with the non-refillable pilot gel pen, simply because it is the lightest. Oh ya, MUST BE 1/3 ink left, if not the balance is funny...So pen does matter...lol
    Haha faster is not the point but if you find a pen that can make you score full marks for exams, please help me buy one

  4. #104
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Nikon FB page under fire

    you can also consider viewing this exhibition
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...ram-Exhibition

    to see what the iPhone in capable hands can do

    tomorrow last day

  5. #105
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    741

    Default Re: Nikon FB page under fire

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Haha faster is not the point but if you find a pen that can make you score full marks for exams, please help me buy one
    Buy this one. 1/3 Ink left then go exam. Cannot confirm full mark, but minimum get A because you write much faster than everyone else. Tried and proven.


    Oh ya, must be 0.5mm...0.7mm prone to smudge...

  6. #106
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    741

    Default Re: Nikon FB page under fire

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    no picture no talk, i can show constant results with my iPhone
    Will try tmr if got time...but can try other fruit? This one like hard to cut...

  7. #107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieInCS

    Buy this one. 1/3 Ink left then go exam. Cannot confirm full mark, but minimum get A because you write much faster than everyone else. Tried and proven.

    Oh ya, must be 0.5mm...0.7mm prone to smudge...
    Haha are you sure write faster will get A? So more fps will get good photos?

    So far I do exams slowly and its working for me I also shoot very slow

  8. #108
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Nikon FB page under fire

    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieInCS View Post
    Will try tmr if got time...but can try other fruit? This one like hard to cut...
    use a good knife, don't need skill

  9. #109
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    741

    Default Re: Nikon's: A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Haha are you sure write faster will get A? So more fps will get good photos?

    So far I do exams slowly and its working for me I also shoot very slow
    yes...at least it was so when I was in uni. Due to the bell curve, as long as you complete 1 mark more than everyone else, you get your A.

  10. #110
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Nikon's: A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by hellfire88 View Post
    “Don’t spend money on gear. Spend it on plane tickets.” -Yves Chouinard

    http://www.pixelatedimage.com/blog/2...y-the-tickets/
    Yes, that's what I always think when I'm looking at some new lens.

  11. #111

    Default Re: Nikon's: A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieInCS View Post
    yes...at least it was so when I was in uni. Due to the bell curve, as long as you complete 1 mark more than everyone else, you get your A.
    Not as easy as it sounds. In my school the mandated class average was a B-. I was once in a class of 10, and the teacher took that to mean one get A, one get A-, everyone else B and below.

    I'd sometimes much rather a system when everyone can get A.

  12. #112
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Nikon's: A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by cannedpineapples View Post
    Not as easy as it sounds. In my school the mandated class average was a B-. I was once in a class of 10, and the teacher took that to mean one get A, one get A-, everyone else B and below.

    I'd sometimes much rather a system when everyone can get A.
    Still better than having 3/4 of the class failing... I have been in that kind of class before, and it is hella scary.

  13. #113
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    2,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123
    Another example for you...

    Ansel Adams' Yosemite series.

    Many photographers has tried to replicate his shots. As much as using the best gear, using software to triangulate his exact GPS location... spending months after months trying to achieve the same shots.

    None has succeeded.

    And what did Mr Adams use? compared to the gear of today?...
    Most likely, Ansel would be using a 8x10 or 11x14 view camera. He also had a packed mule. But what else he had that we don't have today is better atmospheric conditions then than today.

  14. #114
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    741

    Default Re: Nikon's: A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by cannedpineapples View Post
    Not as easy as it sounds. In my school the mandated class average was a B-. I was once in a class of 10, and the teacher took that to mean one get A, one get A-, everyone else B and below.

    I'd sometimes much rather a system when everyone can get A.
    If everyone get A just because he has a certain score(e.g. >75/100), then what is going to differentiate between the average student and good student? What is going to differentiate the really good ones from the good ones?

    This system of bell curve has its flaw, being that it can be cruel, but it reflects the real society. It can get pretty competitive, in that I have seen Ph.D students practising past year papers in the 2nd week of semester.

    It has its advantage too...I once walked out of my exam hall thinking I will fail the module because I only did half the paper. Yet, I was suprised with a B+ simply because many others did less than half the paper...
    Last edited by NewbieInCS; 30th September 2011 at 08:44 AM.

  15. #115
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Nikon FB page under fire

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Typo. This is because a typist is only as good as the keyboard they use... And I have a bloody cheap keyboard.
    Likes
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  16. #116
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Nikon FB page under fire

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post


    btw this was shot using my iPhone 3GS
    with no fancy filters

    i would like to see some DSLR users beat this

    the person behind the camera matters more than the equipment he/she uses, if he/she does not know how to fully make use if the equipment then the result will not be good
    Likes.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  17. #117
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Nikon FB page under fire

    I am willing to take the blame for all the problem cause. I can tell you all guys that you guys should never be blinded by the high-tech equipments. To take all the blame, I volunteer to trade a self-made 120 format pinhole camera made from errr... (Shoebox? Brand can varies from nike to flying eagle, worksmanship and QC not guranteed) for your PNS, DV camcorder with photo taking function, DSLR, Medium Format digital camera, RF, Digital RF, Digital back, Handphone camera. (If I miss out any type or format, you can contact me for negotiation)
    Last edited by wootsk; 30th September 2011 at 09:14 AM.

  18. #118
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Nikon FB page under fire

    Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    I am willing to take the blame for all the problem cause. I can tell you all guys that you guys should never be blinded by the high-tech equipments. To take all the blame, I volunteer to trade a self-made 120 format pinhole camera made from errr... (Shoebox? Brand can varies from nike to flying eagle, worksmanship and QC not guranteed) for your PNS, DV camcorder with photo taking function, DSLR, Medium Format digital camera, RF, Digital RF, Digital back, Handphone camera. (If I miss out any type or format, you can contact me for negotiation)
    LOL.

    BTW I know someone still doing traditional plates. Photogravure etching to be exact...

    If you are interested, I can hook you up with him. But the only problem is, he is not in SG but in Japan. He is an american living in Japan btw.

    You can see his work here:
    http://www.kamprint.com/
    Last edited by daredevil123; 30th September 2011 at 10:31 AM.

  19. #119
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Nikon FB page under fire

    by tonight this fire will be longer than the one at Shell refinery on Pulau Bukom.................
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  20. #120
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    741

    Default Re: Nikon FB page under fire

    Don't want to copy the fruit, so used lemon. Ok...truth is I only have lemon in my fridge that I can cut easily. Newbie here, first time shoot fruit, so pls don't be too harsh.


Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •