Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Going down...

  1. #1
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Going down...




    1.in what area is critique to be sought?
    I would like to have comments and advice on the composition.
    Took the photo in a way that it looks like ladder.

    2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I want to show that the water droplets seems like rolling down the leaf.
    Showing the middle water droplet as the biggest one, in focus. The blurness of other droplets show movement.

    3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    I took this photo when I was taking photos, trying out my macro lens.

    4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I think that the background 'greenery' portray that this stem is isolated from the rest, that attracted me and also the water droplets 'movement.


    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Going down...

    I like the vivid colour and the strong diagonal line, but the black in the bottom right is a bit distracting.

    Also maybe getting EVEN CLOSER would be good? So you can see the reflections in the water droplet and really explore it's beauty.

    Finally maybe some contrast in color (green on yellow maybe?) would be nice.. Either that or you can increase vibrance/ saturation of this leaf so it pops out more..

  3. #3

    Default Re: Going down...

    Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    1.in what area is critique to be sought?
    I would like to have comments and advice on the composition.
    Took the photo in a way that it looks like ladder.

    2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I want to show that the water droplets seems like rolling down the leaf.
    Showing the middle water droplet as the biggest one, in focus. The blurness of other droplets show movement.

    3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    I took this photo when I was taking photos, trying out my macro lens.

    4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I think that the background 'greenery' portray that this stem is isolated from the rest, that attracted me and also the water droplets 'movement.


    Thanks.
    1. The compositions shows little dimension and space.
    2. I don't feel that the droplets is rolling down nor is going to roll down. As much as I can feel is just lens blurring effect.
    3. Noted.
    4. Similar to 2 in terms of motion. One thing I do notice is the softness of the pic, which I personally don't feel good about. I do understand macro has very shallow DOF, but i hate to say that the shallow DOF feels to attract me here.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

  4. #4
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cannedpineapples
    I like the vivid colour and the strong diagonal line, but the black in the bottom right is a bit distracting.

    Also maybe getting EVEN CLOSER would be good? So you can see the reflections in the water droplet and really explore it's beauty.

    Finally maybe some contrast in color (green on yellow maybe?) would be nice.. Either that or you can increase vibrance/ saturation of this leaf so it pops out more..
    Ok, noted. Thanks for the advice.
    Just thought that something is lacking.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok

    1. The compositions shows little dimension and space.
    2. I don't feel that the droplets is rolling down nor is going to roll down. As much as I can feel is just lens blurring effect.
    3. Noted.
    4. Similar to 2 in terms of motion. One thing I do notice is the softness of the pic, which I personally don't feel good about. I do understand macro has very shallow DOF, but i hate to say that the shallow DOF feels to attract me here.
    Not really lens blur. At that time, the wind was blowing, so I quickly captured this.
    The droplets did move down a little.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Going down...

    To me generally its a good captured.. Just my opinion, try manual focus to sharpen your subject..

  6. #6

    Default Re: Going down...

    Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    Not really lens blur. At that time, the wind was blowing, so I quickly captured this. The droplets did move down a little.
    Okay, how should I say this. What I understood is a few ways to express motion, one is motion blur, the other is tension. Suppose I take it that you did indeed managed to capture the image as motion blur, but a photo has to speak for itself. Narration can almost be just superficial information. I'm not voiding that fact that efforts are placed into making this photo. I'm also not trying to insist that I'm right. I'm just trying to give you what I personally feel would make sense.

    When I look at the picture, I'm hoping it will tell me a thousand words. To be frank, I couldn't differentiate between a motion blur and a OOF blur due to thin DOF. At least in this picture, it's not that obvious. Yet there is another way to create motion in still. It's the tension, the just about to happen still. I see in a number of photos. Some are portrait about a man about to sprint off on a track. It creates tension, it gives an understanding what is going to be next. In your picture, I don't see such hints. It's subtle yet it helps. So that's why I concluded the image is not showing what you want to show. At least it's not obvious enough.

    Actually I feel there is one more that I can think off. Trails. When water moves down, at times, it leaves water trails. It's an indication of movement too. Same goes for when a droplet of water is going to fall, or about to roll, the shape is different. It will be heavy on one side and like a tear drop. So if you want to illustrate movement and tension, you ought to be able to capture the subtleness in it.

    I hope it makes sense. Just my 2 cents worth
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •