Thread: What lens to be use for wedding dinner shoots?

Default What lens to be use for wedding dinner shoots?

I'm a newbie to SLR. But got couple of lobangs for friends' wedding shoots, any good recommendation on what lens to be use for wedding dinner shoots? By the way, I'm using canon 60D.

Default Re: What lens to be use for wedding dinner shoots?

I will choose wide angle zoom something along 17-55mm

Quote Originally Posted by Istar View Post
    I'm a newbie to SLR. But got couple of lobangs for friends' wedding shoots, any good recommendation on what lens to be use for wedding dinner shoots? By the way, I'm using canon 60D.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Thanks bro. How about prime lens?

I am not a all time wedding photographer, but like you I was invited to cover for a few friends. So others more experienced can give you better suggestions. I know there are some wedding photographers that pride in primes. For me, I say go for zoom lens. Wedding photography is a rush and tiring event, especially for new comers. If you don't know the wedding process well, you can't anticipate where the important moments are and when to be ready for it. So I highly recommend you talk with someone who is well verse in this and willing to advice you. At the same time do consult in your friends about what is their expectation from you, be serious about it and don't take it as a friend friend situation. After all, it's their once a lifetime (hopefully ). Knowing what their expectation is, also knowing what special moments they want to be placed into the picture.

After the morning wedding ritual, there will be some slot for the couples to roam around for wedding photos, as a photographer, you can or almost should advice them on how to pose and where to pose. The couples would be most likely mentally stressed and have to think about various stuffs along the way. You as a friend and also a photographer can certainly bring joy and relaxation to the process, if you can take initiative to let them enjoy the process with surprises along the way.

Prime lens in my opinion is too static. Unless you have 2 cameras, I suggest you stick with zoom for flexibility and also anticipate if you can cover the events such as the tea ceremony. You must understand at that moment, the room will be full of people and you need to compromise your position at times. You also need to move around to get different perspective, I feel one perspective don't do justice to the ceremony.

Be prepared to perspire at a "dog" and don't get to enjoy the lovely dinner. But I'm sure it will bring experience to your photography hobby or career.
    Always use flash, flash is just not for night and dim moments, flash give good picture output. If your friends ritual start early in the morning like 4am, the sky is going to be very very dark. Some dialect group start early and some start later like 6~7am. Those timing will be less challenging imo.

Last but not least, check your gears before you sleep, you don't want surprises. If possible, see if someone else can be your backup should you not have 2 camera bodies. You don't want cases like no camera to shoot because it broke down suddenly. That's why when it comes to commercial and friends situation, I am more kia su, because first you spoilt your own reputation if you can't deliver commercial. The latter is you sour the friendship if you cannot deliver also.

Last edited by David Kwok; 29th September 2011 at 12:47 AM.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Blog Entries

If you want to use prime lenses only, you need to recce out all the locations prior to the event, understand all the seating plans, the program/flow of the night, and know down to the exact details of the walk in, etc etc... then decide what lens to fit on that night.

No one can tell you which prime lens will work for sure. Simply because we do not know the location, how the tables are arranged, what is the flow of the ceremony, what lighting the location will be. You have to make that call when you find out. This is also why, no one goes to shoot a wedding seriously with just one prime lens and one camera body. If you only have budget for one camera body and one lens, go for a zoom and a good flash.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 29th September 2011 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    I will choose wide angle zoom something along 17-55mm
    In this case TS must take note of the distortions at the wide end of the lens. Nobody of the guests wants to see his/her face stretched and distorted later on the pictures.

TS: There are numerous threads here in the forum, please search for 'wedding' and take ample time to read them all. Loads of tips and pointers .. and the main pointer is: don't do it if you are a newbie. Chances of so-so results (or worse) are high and the relation to your friends could be the price to pay for your experience. A good friend will admit if he's not able to commit expected results. A good friend's advice is that the couple should hire somebody professional and you can tag along and do the 'unofficial pics' - which can be a very nice addition. But being new to equipment, new to photography, new to wedding ... quite a challenge that must not be underestimated.
    EOS

Everyone has their different preferences. I have met wedding photographers who use one fast prime lens, and other wedding photographers who literally have a full bag of gear ranging from fast f/2.8 zooms AND even faster primes.

In general, to get more variety of perspectives, usually people have 3 sets of focal lengths - a wide angle, a "normal" lens and a telephoto lens (for when a distance is preferable - for example, if a marriage ceremony is being held in a church, it may not be such a great idea to keep clicking in the face of both the bride and groom and solemnizer). These can be achieved via 3 zooms or 3 primes or even a mix, e.g. for a Canon user with 60D, 10-22/24-70 f2.8/70-200 f2.8 or a fast wide prime (15?), 50mm f1.4 and say, 85mm f1.8 or 1.2L...

Sometimes you can just cut out the telephoto perspective altogether. But it's really up to you.

On a side note, if you're new, I hope you are not happily agreeing to shoot friends' weddings for the sake of a quick buck. Especially if they have asked you to be the main photographer. I think second is fine.

everyone has the own perspective.
    i normally use 10 22 with 580ex only...
    there is another photographer on the ceremony as well..
    so, u can discuss with them

*just my 2 cents*

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine
    In this case TS must take note of the distortions at the wide end of the lens. Nobody of the guests wants to see his/her face stretched and distorted later on the pictures.

TS: There are numerous threads here in the forum, please search for 'wedding' and take ample time to read them all. Loads of tips and pointers .. and the main pointer is: don't do it if you are a newbie. Chances of so-so results (or worse) are high and the relation to your friends could be the price to pay for your experience. A good friend will admit if he's not able to commit expected results. A good friend's advice is that the couple should hire somebody professional and you can tag along and do the 'unofficial pics' - which can be a very nice addition. But being new to equipment, new to photography, new to wedding ... quite a challenge that must not be underestimated.
    Seconded. When my friend's asked me to cover their weddings, knowing my level of photography won't be up to standard, I advised them to get a professional one. And tag along. This way you can also learn more about wedding photography from the "pro".

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 to fit everybody in. 50mm f/1.8 for wedding rings and other things you want to bokeh. A flash to use as fill flash and should be all set.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.