Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 九王爷 Nine Emperor Gods Festival (27 Sep - 5 Oct 2011) @ Kiu Ong Yiah Temple

Default Re: 九王爷 Nine Emperor Gods Festival (27 Sep - 5 Oct 2011) @ Kiu Ong Yiah Temple

Quote Originally Posted by orosin View Post
    Hi

Actually, you may still take some good shoots of the procession at the East Coast Park (around F4 carpark, if I am not mistaken) in the evening of 5th Oct., 2011 from about 10.00pm.

You just need to look for the many brightly lit gatherings. There will be many. Each one caters for their own association. If you missed one, go to the others. They are there to 'send' off their deities.

As a matter of fact, there are many temples praying to 九皇爷 in Singapore. Usually, the temples will line up yellow coloured flags along the roads or streets leading to their temples. It is quite easy to spot these flags.

I guess these are some interesting things to shoot during this festival:

1. The taoist rituals
    2. The sedan 'dance'
    3. The colourful buses/trucks
    4. The lion/dragon dance
    5. The wanyang - chinese operas
    6. The 'sending off' of the deities at the sea shore....etc

Enjoy your shooting experience. Cheers
    this is good news..

i think we all should come to document such great events..

Default Re: 九王爷 Nine Emperor Gods Festival (27 Sep - 5 Oct 2011) @ Kiu Ong Yiah Temple

No need to apologise, especially for typo errors. We are all here to learn from each other (apart from photography).

Yes, amongst other names, 九皇爷 is also called 九皇大帝. However, the nine different dieties are officially address as different 星君. They are the nine children of 斗母娘娘.
    These are the celestial stars.

With some of these information, I guess it will be more interesting and meaningful for our candid shots of the festival of 九皇爷。

Cheers

sorry i forgot to mention that i was keen on the night shot.
    will sign up

Im not a "free lunch" photographer

Hope for those who came had an enjoyable time.
    I will be uploading my pics shortly to the gallery area.

Thank you !

No need to apologise, especially for typo errors. We are all here to learn from each other (apart from photography).

Yes, amongst other names, 九皇爷 is also called 九皇大帝. However, the nine different dieties are officially address as different 星君. They are the nine children of 斗母娘娘.
    These are the celestial stars.

With some of these information, I guess it will be more interesting and meaningful for our candid shots of the festival of 九皇爷。

Cheers
    Also in the spirit of learning, the Nine Emperor God festival belongs more in the realm of Chinese Popular Religion than Daoism ( 道敎).

Enjoy yourselves.
    Last edited by Daoyin; 3rd October 2011 at 04:52 PM.

Pics uploaded.
    Enjoy !!!

C&C are welcomed and I apologize for any bad shots due to my poor skills.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...ival?p=7489489

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    Also in the spirit of learning, the Nine Emperor God festival belongs more in the realm of Chinese Popular Religion than Daoism ( 道敎).

Enjoy yourselves.
    Yes, this festival is more related to 道家 than 道教. For those who wanted to know more, The Taoist College in Singapore is conducting a "Western research on Taoism" by Professor Barbara Hendrischke of University of New South Wales in the evenings from 15th Nov., 2011. Check out at telephone : 64492115. Sorry for being off-track.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by orosin

Yes, this festival is more related to 道家 than 道教. For those who wanted to know more, The Taoist College in Singapore is conducting a "Western research on Taoism" by Professor Barbara Hendrischke of University of New South Wales in the evenings from 15th Nov., 2011. Check out at telephone : 64492115. Sorry for being off-track.

Cheers
    Thanks orosin for the info.
    And sorry for my OT post.
    I don't know in depth on 九皇大帝 but 道家 is more of a school of thought. If you read 道德经,there is no involvement of such rites.

Aside to Daoyin, what you have said, in Chinese, it can be called as 民间宗教, where people don't just pray to deities of a specific religion.

Quote Originally Posted by tranvui View Post
    Thanks orosin for the info.
    And sorry for my OT post.
    I don't know in depth on 九皇大帝 but 道家 is more of a school of thought. If you read 道德经,there is no involvement of such rites.

Aside to Daoyin, what you have said, in Chinese, it can be called as 民间宗教, where people don't just pray to deities of a specific religion.
    I agree. But best to resist further discussion.

Orosin has provided me an education on what to photography for which I thank him. Perhaps he can be generous and give some background to the rituals and significance of the sedans, colourful buses etc. I am sure this will make it more meaningful to photographers planning to go tommorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    I agree. But best to resist further discussion.

Orosin has provided me an education on what to photography for which I thank him. Perhaps he can be generous and give some background to the rituals and significance of the sedans, colourful buses etc. I am sure this will make it more meaningful to photographers planning to go tommorrow.
    i have learnt from orosin in this thread too!

Quote Originally Posted by tranvui View Post
    i have learnt from orosin in this thread too!
    Hi guys

I'm just sharing my limited knowledge lah. I am still a novice in photography. Would like to learn from all u youngsters. (I am a senior citizen!)

As for the candid shots, I suggest the following:

1. Taoist rituals. Take close up shots of the colourful coat of the Taoists with incense smake filtering in the air; or, while devotees kneeling down to pray.

2. Capturing movement of the palalaquins while they are on the move. Low angles shots would be nice, I think.

3. Capture the abundant colours of the floats/buses/trucks.

4. Capture the carnival spirits, especially at the sea shore with the hugh fire of the incense burner drifting towards the sea.

These are some of present moment thinking when I try to capture tomorrow evening's photos. The challenge for me is the 'technicals' of photography. Apertures, Speed, exposure....etc

BTW, tranvui, 道德经 is not normally recited during Taoist Rituals. During 九皇爷festivals, 北斗真经,九斗真经,斗姥宝忏,玉皇赦罪宝忏and many others are recited in the Rituals. Just to share..:-)

Cheers

Hi

Anyone who is staying in the east, and keen to join me for the photo session tomorrow evening can sms me at 93623987. If you're not driving, I can pick you up at the nearby MRT stations around 7.30pm, to go to a temple celebrating this festival at Jalan Tua Kong, off East Coast Rd. And then to the East Coastline for the 'send off'. Should be completed by 11.30pm or earlier.

Cheers

hi

so where is more happening? CCK comined temple or Eunos?

i am likely able to make it tonight... so happy

Hi

Actually, you may still take some good shoots of the procession at the East Coast Park (around F4 carpark, if I am not mistaken) in the evening of 5th Oct., 2011 from about 10.00pm.

You just need to look for the many brightly lit gatherings. There will be many. Each one caters for their own association. If you missed one, go to the others. They are there to 'send' off their deities.

As a matter of fact, there are many temples praying to 九皇爷 in Singapore. Usually, the temples will line up yellow coloured flags along the roads or streets leading to their temples. It is quite easy to spot these flags.

I guess these are some interesting things to shoot during this festival:

1. The taoist rituals
    2. The sedan 'dance'
    3. The colourful buses/trucks
    4. The lion/dragon dance
    5. The wanyang - chinese operas
    6. The 'sending off' of the deities at the sea shore....etc

Enjoy your shooting experience. Cheers
    alamak... where got carpark f4?

Blog Entries

Wah today they ended earlier than last year..
    Lousy de My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by weekh View Post
    alamak... where got carpark f4?
    sori, was at carpark F2

Hi guys,

Just went to Hougang for the night send off.
    Very happening.....

Was recording for more than 10mins suddenly encountered "Card Access Error". The movie was not saved. ={
    Perhaps next time I should split into different parts.

No worries, this Saturday 7pm there is the biggest one at Eunos.
    All colorful buses from all the kiu ong yiah temples will be there because Eunos is moving into a new temple at Seng Kang.

I'm sure it will be the most happening one.

See you guys there !!!!

Cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by huhsimi
    Hi guys,

Just went to Hougang for the night send off.
    Very happening.....

Was recording for more than 10mins suddenly encountered "Card Access Error". The movie was not saved. ={
    Perhaps next time I should split into different parts.

No worries, this Saturday 7pm there is the biggest one at Eunos.
    All colorful buses from all the kiu ong yiah temples will be there because Eunos is moving into a new temple at Seng Kang.

I'm sure it will be the most happening one.

See you guys there !!!!

Cheers
    Yup I went there too. Haha its getting better every year
    Lousy de My Flickr

where about in Eunos is the temple bro???
    E-M10, E-PL1, 40mm-150mm, 9-18mm, Pentax c-mount 25mm, LX 5, Pentax Super Takumar 50mm, 45mm

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast