Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 九王爷 Nine Emperor Gods Festival (27 Sep - 5 Oct 2011) @ Kiu Ong Yiah Temple

Default Re: 九王爷 Nine Emperor Gods Festival (27 Sep - 5 Oct 2011) @ Kiu Ong Yiah Temple

Quote Originally Posted by ahboy168 View Post
    Anyone can tell me if this festival relate to going kusu island for praying ? I am confused.
    Nope. It is not.

Default Re: 九王爷 Nine Emperor Gods Festival (27 Sep - 5 Oct 2011) @ Kiu Ong Yiah Temple

Monday (260911) was the Inviting the 九皇大帝, i was at east coast park

Hi

So there is daily event till 5 Oct? I am free on evening from today til fri... hope to go capture some great shots!

any idea what time the gran finale ends on 5 Oct? I can't come early... i guess can only reach around 10 plus...

Quote Originally Posted by huhsimi
    thank you, ed9119

I think this event quite tedious....we can shoot within the temple...once they leave the temple to parade and move to other temples....the tough part comes because got to move around and get good shots.
    luckily there are free buses for the devotees...so most probably shooters like us can hop on one and follow.....

Not sure how many are interested, perhaps I can do a poll to see how many pple are interested.

1) huhsimi
    2) Therenaissance
    3)
    4)
    5)

Cheers
    I'm in. Are you from the yew Keng or photographer? This is for the last day on 5th or ongoing from today til the last?

The last day is on the evening of 5th oct?
    ( Documenting the Human Condition | Flickr )

hi all

i google and found this:

http://www.the-inncrowd.com/festivalsevents.htm

Nine Emperor Gods Festival. For 9 days at the Kiu Ong Yiah Temple ("Nine Emperor Gods Temple") on Upper Serangoon Road, devotees rejoice in the visit of the Nine Emperor Gods, who is believed to cure ailments and bestow good fortune and longevity. Priests write charms with their blood and at the height of the celebration, the images of the Nine Emperor Gods parade past in intricate sedan chairs carried by 8 men. As the chairs leave the temple, they begin to sway and jerk as if possessed by the gods. The carriers then charge into the crowd, running back and forth as devotees are bathed in the smoke of hundreds of joss-sticks. Onlookers open their wallets and handbags, fanning in the holy smoke to encourage financial success in the coming year.

so i think the event is on for 9 days... better call the temple to confirm

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    Hi

So there is daily event till 5 Oct? I am free on evening from today til fri... hope to go capture some great shots!

any idea what time the gran finale ends on 5 Oct? I can't come early... i guess can only reach around 10 plus...

Too bad, it will start 8.30pm and parade will commence.

Quote Originally Posted by theRenaissance View Post
    I'm in. Are you from the yew Keng or photographer? This is for the last day on 5th or ongoing from today til the last?

The last day is on the evening of 5th oct?
    I am just a hobby photographer. Last day and grand finale is 5th Oct but from now till 5th, you guys can go either Eunos MRT or Kiu Ong Yiah Temple at upper serangoon to have a look.

Kudos to yap1985 for the vids below:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baRRKYpF9w4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4CEd...eature=related

Cheers

Blog Entries

I've been there for the past 10 years plus...

from what i know, they will move off at around 9-10 ( as I will always leave 1st b4 they move off, in order for me to get a good parking lot haha, so I'm not sure about what time they move off). but normally i will start seeing them at around 10.30pm - 11.00pm.

route wise I'm not sure (as I'm a direction idiot haha) i only know they will end up at a big long kang near seng kang area or punggol? I'm not too sure haha.

after they settled down, they will start praying for around 30mins before sending the god back.

everything will end around midnight
    Last edited by luckyorange; 28th September 2011 at 05:33 PM.
    Lousy de My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    hi all

i google and found this:

http://www.the-inncrowd.com/festivalsevents.htm

Nine Emperor Gods Festival. For 9 days at the Kiu Ong Yiah Temple ("Nine Emperor Gods Temple") on Upper Serangoon Road, devotees rejoice in the visit of the Nine Emperor Gods, who is believed to cure ailments and bestow good fortune and longevity. Priests write charms with their blood and at the height of the celebration, the images of the Nine Emperor Gods parade past in intricate sedan chairs carried by 8 men. As the chairs leave the temple, they begin to sway and jerk as if possessed by the gods. The carriers then charge into the crowd, running back and forth as devotees are bathed in the smoke of hundreds of joss-sticks. Onlookers open their wallets and handbags, fanning in the holy smoke to encourage financial success in the coming year.

so i think the event is on for 9 days... better call the temple to confirm
    Yeah, already confirmed as per Tranvui

Blog Entries

well you guys can visit the temple to shoot some candid haha =)

good luck to all (rem to pray )
    Lousy de My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    I've been there for the past 10 years plus...

from what i know, they will move off at around 9-10 ( as I will always leave 1st b4 they move off, in order for me to get a good parking lot haha, so I'm not sure about what time they move off). but normally i will start seeing them at around 10.30pm - 11.00pm.

route wise I'm not sure (as I'm a direction idiot haha) i only know they will end up at a big long kang near seng kang area or punggol? I'm not too sure haha.

after they settled down, they will start praying for around 30mins before sending the god back.
    Wow, a veteran of this event !!!!
    Will the Yew Keng start from Upper Serangoon or Eunos ?
    Are you in the yew keng or a hobby photographer ?

Cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by huhsimi View Post
    Wow, a veteran of this event !!!!
    Will the Yew Keng start from Upper Serangoon or Eunos ?
    Are you in the yew keng or a hobby photographer ?

Cheers
    yup I think from upper seragoon all the way till seng kang.

I'm not sure the route (as I will always leave 1st b4 they leave) haha..

Me I will stand beside the road holding joss sticks, half way thru I will join in as my uncle is part of the yew keng (if he see me) haha
    Lousy de My Flickr

I just checked with the temple. The night yew keng will start 8pm on Wednesday 5th Oct.
    Please be there before 8pm just to play safe.

I went to Eunos earlier and there was another one. This Sunday is their yew keng and starts from 10am.
    FYI, for interested shooters.

Cheers

Hi I'm v interested to go to the yew keng for eunos temple this sunday as mentioned in earlier posts

I never take many night shots before

Anyone else wanna go?

hmm there's a ocbc beside the temple right? that's the 1 i went every year...

Quote Originally Posted by pewpewpew View Post
    Hi I'm v interested to go to the yew keng for eunos temple this sunday as mentioned in earlier posts

I never take many night shots before

Anyone else wanna go?
    Ya, this Sunday I think I will be dropping by there also. Hope to get some day shots just in case my night shot skills cannot make it. =)

Quote Originally Posted by nicorn View Post
    Yup, you're right !

Any one going for the Eunos one ?
    Finale is this Sunday from 10am

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nicorn View Post
    hahaha, Yup there is, haha
    Lousy de My Flickr

I am definitely keen. In fact, I was planning to make a trip down to have a look and gather more information but seems like this thread comes in handy!
    please count me in!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast