Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 229

Thread: Groupon Deals Photographers

  1. #161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB
    853.

    If you fulfilled all those shoots, we ought to cut you some slack - for hard work - only that.

    For singlehandedly contributing to the downgrading of the already cheap photography market 853 times - that I have nothing to good to say so I will not comment further in that regard.

    If the whole thing bettered you as a photographer, congrats.

    In athletic training, there's something known as Overtraining, where overdoing something is actually detrimental to progress. Someone we trained the right amount actually progressed better than the one who tried too hard. In art it's also the same. We need time off between shoots to self critic images, to find inner voice, to get inspire. In business, you also need time off to keep the mind and mood nimble and in good spirits so as to make adjustments and tweaks to the system. When all hands are tied, your trapped. I am sure you feel some kind of burn out, dread, shutdown somewhere.

    You can actually do 53 selectively and progress way better than doing 853.
    Yes.. i did felt that way... thats why i really need enough sleep..

  2. #162

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    actually i did responded to one of the ads in the Service Wanted. i got a reply and it said i will be bonded legally and i am supposed to shoot for free for the first 3 times for each of the 3 locations. The reason being to evaluate my standard, which is bullshit in my opinion. Who on earth gives such free services? Even TFCD needs to follows a theme that benefits all parties involved ( of course i am seeing alot of ppl mistaking TFCD as free photography service nowadays, even demanding handling of ALL raw files! I see it as "hiring" a free photographer)

    the reply also mentioned about the earnings, it ranges from very low to several thousands dollars, all to be shared among the MUA and pg etc... of course no one will have problems with earning 1k in a day.. but how about the lower end? and how often will the high paying jobs come? nothing is certain.. it is also mentioned that they have special customers who are on special discount and the MUA and photographers need to bear with the lower income due to the discount being offered, which is ridiculous!

    copyright is shared among the company and the photographer. I have no idea how this can works out.

    so of course i didn't border to reply.. I told my mother n she said "crazy!"

  3. #163

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by theandycreation View Post
    Yes, there are nasty customers.. paid a penny and ask for plenty.... but some are really good....
    Hope you made the most out of the good customers, keep their contacts, make a mailing list. Send them your wedding packages. Hopefully out of the good ones, some will get married, out of those, some will hire you.

    That is, if you were not so overwhelmed by the 853 jobs to still do such back end work on client management. 853 couples, I doubt you will even recognize some when you see them on the streets again...
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  4. #164

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    here is another article published in Straits Times on 18 Dec 2011.

    Coupon sites losing sheen? | Guides & Articles | ST701 Shops

    "Mr Karl Chong, CEO of Groupon Singapore, says: 'We approach each merchant with a tailored, individual approach based on the prior history of similar deals. While we do consult merchants based on our experience, the final decision for the sales goal rests with the merchant.'"

    It would be be interesting to hear from those who tried before how Groupon work with them on setting the upper limit of the no of deals to close. How did they allow 500-800 deals for a one man show photography business?

    group buying sites took off because the deals allows someone to enjoy the product/service at a steeply discounted price. The low price they paid for should not be an excuse for a compromise in the quality of service rendered. I think most ppl buy beacuse the groupon ads for these photography package are worded as such "Professional commercial photographer"."Work with commercial photographers", "Professional photographer". it should not be done by someone who is still at a portfolio collecting stage.
    :)

  5. #165
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by bedrock View Post
    here is another article published in Straits Times on 18 Dec 2011.

    Coupon sites losing sheen? | Guides & Articles | ST701 Shops

    "Mr Karl Chong, CEO of Groupon Singapore, says: 'We approach each merchant with a tailored, individual approach based on the prior history of similar deals. While we do consult merchants based on our experience, the final decision for the sales goal rests with the merchant.'"

    It would be be interesting to hear from those who tried before how Groupon work with them on setting the upper limit of the no of deals to close. How did they allow 500-800 deals for a one man show photography business?

    group buying sites took off because the deals allows someone to enjoy the product/service at a steeply discounted price. The low price they paid for should not be an excuse for a compromise in the quality of service rendered. I think most ppl buy beacuse the groupon ads for these photography package are worded as such "Professional commercial photographer"."Work with commercial photographers", "Professional photographer". it should not be done by someone who is still at a portfolio collecting stage.

    yeah, I am curious to know too. Is Groupon setting the no of deals or merchant decide?

    If merchant decide, then decide for lesser jobs, can mark up your usual price so after discount, you can still earn something (for example, usual you charge $200, after groupon discount, maybe customer pay $20 after 90% discount, so why not mark up to $400 as usual price, so customer pay $40 after 90% discount).

    just some thoughts.

  6. #166
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    from what I know is you will have a lot of meetings with the representative from Groupon,
    they recommend you to slash 50% off from your package to make a deal, and they will take 50% from your sale,
    and set a minimum buyers to confirm the deal is on, and cap to max that you can take in,

    so you can't makeup and slash again, as they will tell you your deal is not attractive. they will make sure you can hit the minimum quota to make the deal is on, else they will not make money and wasting their time.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #167
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    from what I know is you will have a lot of meetings with the representative from Groupon,
    they recommend you to slash 50% off from your package to make a deal, and they will take 50% from your sale,
    and set a minimum buyers to confirm the deal is on, and cap to max that you can take in,

    so you can't makeup and slash again, as they will tell you your deal is not attractive. they will make sure you can hit the minimum quota to make the deal is on, else they will not make money and wasting their time.
    how about mark up before the meeting? probably mark up by 100% or 200%.

  8. #168

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    i did thought of that before. but i think groupon also thought of that, so in the end, as long as it is not cheap, i guess groupon won't be interested..

  9. #169

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    Andy, I'm very impressed that you made it through so many jobs. You skills in dealing with customers, time management, directing subjects etc must have improved a lot through this hellish training. Rather than begging for opportunities, you make your own opportunities (though a tad too much lol) and powered through.

    I really think you should plan a talk about this whole experience! I would be the first to sign up!

    Just know that your future clients will be better than this! Things can only get better!

    Well done!

  10. #170

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    Mind revealing how long did you get engaged with Groupon or how long did it take for you to shoot and deliver all 853 sessions?

    I am guessing that skills with dealing with customers, client aftercare, and post production did not improve but might even deteriorate.

    Are you doing shoot-and-burn CD with minimum edits?
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  11. #171
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by theandycreation View Post
    Well. Lot of people hav got a different kinda thinking. Some may not even wanna earn from this deal. They did for the sake of experience. Portfolio. Awareness. Or earn from extra photos choose by clients. I don think its a wrong way of doing. Cos u don hav to beg other pg to let u tag along. Dont hav to find someone wedding for a fake portfolio. Yes. Work like a dog. But u got what is more important than money. Experience. Handle different types of customers. How to handle it unreasonable people. How to anticipate in event. Contigency plan for bad weather. Having tons of portfolio and many more. To be frank. I am one of it who did that deal. With 853 hit. Shooting alone till ur underwear wet. I will not regret doing this as i hav my own way of planning. However, i will never do it again. For sure.
    Wow! I think there are really better ways of building up one's portfolio though.

    If anything, I'm not even sure if you just ended up learning anything, with such a high volume. It may train you up for high volume sales at low prices though, but I for one think that that method of business is not sustainable for the long-term, especially when one ages.

  12. #172
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    how about mark up before the meeting? probably mark up by 100% or 200%.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    i did thought of that before. but i think groupon also thought of that, so in the end, as long as it is not cheap, i guess groupon won't be interested..
    yes, that's right, now nobody cares who you are or how good you are, as long you can offer $38.00 for a deal, you are ON.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #173

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Mind revealing how long did you get engaged with Groupon or how long did it take for you to shoot and deliver all 853 sessions?

    I am guessing that skills with dealing with customers, client aftercare, and post production did not improve but might even deteriorate.

    Are you doing shoot-and-burn CD with minimum edits?

    Groupon will do cold calls .... persistently...in fact

  14. #174

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Btw Andy, would you be so kind to show some of the best shots from the 853 shoots?
    Well, all people have got different ways of seeing thing, different aesthetics, there sure be lots of CnC i supposed? Anyway, i am still happy with the work as the customers just love the pic, since they are the one paying for your work.... isn't that a best reward?

    samplepic
    Last edited by theandycreation; 30th December 2011 at 03:28 AM. Reason: typo error

  15. #175

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by theandycreation View Post
    Well, all people have got different ways of seeing thing, different aesthetics, there sure be lots of CnC i supposed? Anyway, i am still happy with the work as the customers just love the pic, since they are the one paying for your work.... isn't that a best reward?

    samplepic
    I can't see now as iPhone flash problem thingy, but will see when back to my PC.

    I am normally very critical but I will keep harsh opinions myself for this, and hope others do the same. Remember he blasted out 853 sessions, probably more sessions than some people in their whole life of shooting.

    More interested to see for market research purposes actually and really appreciate your openness in sharing.

  16. #176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB

    I can't see now as iPhone flash problem thingy, but will see when back to my PC.

    I am normally very critical but I will keep harsh opinions myself for this, and hope others do the same. Remember he blasted out 853 sessions, probably more sessions than some people in their whole life of shooting.

    More interested to see for market research purposes actually and really appreciate your openness in sharing.
    Its ok with me. Since I post it. Then I am not scare of critic. Please be straight forward.

  17. #177
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by theandycreation View Post
    Its ok with me. Since I post it. Then I am not scare of critic. Please be straight forward.
    kudos! that's the spirit. accept critism and u shall improve.

  18. #178

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by theandycreation View Post
    Its ok with me. Since I post it. Then I am not scare of critic. Please be straight forward.
    i like the chubby ang mo xmm.. she is so cute! hahaha..

  19. #179

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by theandycreation View Post
    Its ok with me. Since I post it. Then I am not scare of critic. Please be straight forward.
    Seriously, my asking to see samples is indeed really for market research.

    Most people in this thread are against the idea of Groupon, so it is really a conflict of intent for me to discourage and advise against the partaking of Groupon, yet in the same thread giving helpful critics to a Groupon photographer.

    It's going to be a big joke for Groupon to laugh at us photographers if this happen.


    Out if this thread, I am sure many will be willing to help you if your interested in doing genuine photog business.

    Nonetheless again I appreciate your sharing generously.

  20. #180

    Default Re: Groupon Deals Photographers

    Hello Andy,

    Just curious, did it help you to build up some referral cases after you finished your 853 assignments? And if there is, would these referral cases be after the similar package which you extend to Groupon?

    I always have this thinking that referrals built from competitive package offered then are usually from the similar type of market segment. Just like to confirm this, believe it would be helpful for those who are considering Groupon's business approach.

    If you find it sensitive to share, then please ignore my question.

    Alios, and happy new year everyone!
    Geon

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •