Thread: Opinion Seeking: Cropped Body, have a 17-50mm F2.8, considering UWA + 85mm F1.8...

Default Opinion Seeking: Cropped Body, have a 17-50mm F2.8, considering UWA + 85mm F1.8...

Hi guys,

I'm seeking an opinion from the pros out here who has more experience here than me. =)

I currently own a 40D + Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 (a very good copy too)

I should here say that I am on a limited budget!

I am considering getting a 85mm, sell the 17-50, and then get something perhaps 12-24? or a UWA

1) Could you guys recommend a UWA that would cost be below 600, I perfectly ok with second hands, but I don't really have time to keep trading and trying.

2) Would I lose out in terms of versatility if I make this change?

3) I could work with any other suggestions that may be more versatile, I prefer to have a fast n good portrait lens in my setup. Budget for lenses MUST BE under 1k max.

Type of photography plans:

I don't major in photography, but I sometimes shoot events as a freelance photographer (rare now unfortunately, time constrains).

I will have to be a blogshop photographer on-and-off as some of my relatives and friends own blogshops.

I plan to direct and have my friends help me shoot my pre-wedding pictures (budget constrains unfortunately!) with my set. Not going into wedding industry though.

Personally my interest is in portraits.

I will be using my camera for travels in the future (2 years later at least) as my gf likes traveling. I have little traveling experience unfortunately.

Based on the above, what will you guys recommend?
    Last edited by ombre; 26th September 2011 at 09:22 AM.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

Default Re: Opinion Seeking: Cropped Body, have a 17-50mm F2.8, considering UWA + 85mm F1.8..

erm... what contributes to your intention of selling your tammy 17-50? It's a good lens for a cropped body.

Since your interest is in portraits, within $500, you can get the 85mm F1.8.

As for UWA, although you stated budget below $600, but I would still recommend you to go for either tokina 11-16 or Canon 10-22.

Won't recommend you to sell your 17-50 as you mentioned that your GF likes travelling. 17-50 can be considered a good walkabout lens which probably will stay on your 40D most of the time as compared with UWA or 85mm during traveling...
    http://www.akkuaphotography.com

Default Re: Opinion Seeking: Cropped Body, have a 17-50mm F2.8, considering UWA + 85mm F1.8..

Hm, Probably budget constrains will contribute to the intention of changing the 17-50mm, IF i do want a UWA.

Canon 10-22 will definitely bust budget, else it might be a clear choice.

I'm just wondering if getting a slightly wider lens will increase my perspectives, and hopefully 22 or 24mm will be able to cover the general shots.

To be honest I am feeling a bit skeptical about that.. thus I'm seeking what others think... I've heard of many people travelling with UWA + tele, I'm not sure if the rationale will work with me.

Would you consider a Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 50/1.8 and 85/1.8?

12-24 is quite versatile and I would guess that you could make do with it for a lot of shots.
    Especially when stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8, I do find it to be as sharp as the 11-16. All this subjective of course

Price of 12-24 2nd hand should be around the $500-550 mark.
    For travel I prefer the UWA + tele zoom (eg. 55-200 or 55-250). Small and light and not too expensive either.
    Exploring! :)

Sigma's 10-20mm (older version) might fit your budget for UWA. I also dun suggest you to let go of your 17-50mm F/2.8.
    As for the 85mm, what I do is to save more for the 1.4 version instead of the 1.8. If you are not in a rush, you might want to do that too.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Sigma's 10-20mm (older version) might fit your budget for UWA. I also dun suggest you to let go of your 17-50mm F/2.8.
    As for the 85mm, what I do is to save more for the 1.4 version instead of the 1.8. If you are not in a rush, you might want to do that too.
    If I'm not wrong, there's no Canon 85/1.4
    They have the 85/1.8 and the 85/1.2 L, which costs wayyyyyy more

I had the 85/f1.8 before and I must say it's a good budget lens for portrait. My copy was tack sharp at wide open but I sold the lens lately because the purple fringing was intolerable. I had to stop down about 2 stops before I can get rid of some of the CA. Since I can't use it at wide open, then it totally defeats the purpose of having the lens.

As for the 17-50, I suggest you keep it because of it's useable zoom range and at 50mm, it can make a good portrait lens too.

UWA as some had suggested, 10-22 is the best choice if not the 11-16 is a good alternative too.

For the record, my combi was 10-22 + 17-55 + 85/f1.8, before I sold off the latter to another hobbyist.

I will advise you to get either the 10-22 or 85 first and save for the other one. You'll appreciate this decision in time to come.

Maybe I should add another question to ask... Besides landscape uses, will the difference between a UWA and the 17-50mm be a big deal of difference? From a photographic point of view that is, I know the angle is much wider.

What do you guys use UWA for other than landscapes.

Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    Maybe I should add another question to ask... Besides landscape uses, will the difference between a UWA and the 17-50mm be a big deal of difference? From a photographic point of view that is, I know the angle is much wider.

same like u im using tamron 17-50 i supposed, i use this 17-50 for almost every purpose, since i onli have this lens, i do quite a bit of landscape, i tink 17-50 can still be used for the time being, but its a matter of time before i get a UWA for myself to use...

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra

If I'm not wrong, there's no Canon 85/1.4
    They have the 85/1.8 and the 85/1.2 L, which costs wayyyyyy more
    Ooooo ok. Haha, I'm not a canon follower. Only know a bit of what's on the other side of the river.
    Maybe a sigma one?

Difference between 12mm and 17mm is quite pronounced
    UWA not solely restricted to landscape use. In fact, any scenario where extreme wideness and/or exaggerated perspective (when you go close to subject with UWA) desired, is a good candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Ooooo ok. Haha, I'm not a canon follower. Only know a bit of what's on the other side of the river.
    Maybe a sigma one?
    hahaha yes

Siggy is gooooood, from what I hear

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra

Difference between 12mm and 17mm is quite pronounced
    UWA not solely restricted to landscape use. In fact, any scenario where extreme wideness and/or exaggerated perspective (when you go close to subject with UWA) desired, is a good candidate
    Interior and building structure are good examples of it's usage. Although a tilt shift lens will be better for buildings..

1mm difference at the wide/ultra wide angle will give a bigger impact than at telephoto end.

UWA can also be used for architectural photos and for wacky portraits.