Thread: Manual focussing

Default Manual focussing

Hi, I am a newbie to dslr, have a D5100 with kit lens. I have been trying very hard to learn about focus the whole week. I have not been able to focus on a particular object both during capturing pics and video.When I turn my cam to manual focus, and use the ring to focus, either everything is blurred or sharp. I do not know how to focus on a particular object like the video in the link. Can some one help me to know what the guy in the video has done? I tried searching a lot, but couldnt understand on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbBa4NJPkLI

thx

Default Re: Manual focussing

not sure about nikon cam but i believe it's similar. u might want to turn off your auto focusing points (depending on how many points your cam has) and just use one point. it's easier to keep in focus by focusing on one focal point. i always use the center focal point only for both MF and AF shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    not sure about nikon cam but i believe it's similar. u might want to turn off your auto focusing points (depending on how many points your cam has) and just use one point. it's easier to keep in focus by focusing on one focal point. i always use the center focal point only for both MF and AF shoots.
    i second that...

The video you have shown is for video, but in your description, you mentioned you can't focus for pics also ? Since your topic is on manual focus, so correct me if I'm mistaken, you have no issue with auto focus and what you want to learn is how to manual focus properly ?

For entry level camera, manual focus is not ideal because unlike earlier SLR where they uses split prism to assist in focusing, digital system nowadays uses electronics to present focusing indicator in the view finder. If your focus point is in focus, the bottom left of your viewfinder will have a dot to indicate that when you half depress your shutter release to present the viewfinder HUD.

In pro DSLR, besides the single dot, there are also 2 arrows beside it to indicate a rear OOF or near OOF so that you can faster get into focus as accordingly. Also in pro DSLR, the AF is more accurate as indicated by kenrockwell. I'm not particularly sure about this claim because I didn't test it out myself.

There are 2 ways to get into focus for MF, one is from rear focus and slowly creep up to in focus, or from near focus and creep down to in focus. Depending on the lens and the body, one of it may give you more accurate focus versus the others. Again you need to try it out and see for yourself.

By far, I don't recommend manual focus for AF lens unless you are using a AF-D lens on a body that does not have focusing motor in it, or you are using one of those high quality Zeiss lens that are designed to be in manual focus.

Quote Originally Posted by deepswats View Post
    Hi, I am a newbie to dslr, have a D5100 with kit lens. I have been trying very hard to learn about focus the whole week. I have not been able to focus on a particular object both during capturing pics and video.When I turn my cam to manual focus, and use the ring to focus, either everything is blurred or sharp. I do not know how to focus on a particular object like the video in the link. Can some one help me to know what the guy in the video has done? I tried searching a lot, but couldnt understand on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbBa4NJPkLI

thx
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Thanks for your advice, will try what you have told.