Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 56

Thread: Cultural Medallion to Amateur photographer on Today

  1. #21
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    My question to some people here.......... why does landscape has to be pristine and "undisturbed"?

    I think he won the award not because of where he took the photos but how he took them. Location is secondary if you can make use of opportunities presented at hand (or eyes).

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit
    My question to some people here.......... why does landscape has to be pristine and "undisturbed"?

    I think he won the award not because of where he took the photos but how he took them. Location is secondary if you can make use of opportunities presented at hand (or eyes).
    Agree with Kit.

  3. #23

    Default

    There are many local painters that paints beautiful water color painting of the local scene........... there is one particularly good one, his name escapes me at the moment.

    So my question is the same, y does work done on another country, another culture that is foreign to us is considered for the cultural medalion award ?

    As some one said above, people here connnects to China.......... so ? Shouldn't an artist who tries to examine life in our local context be more worthy of such an awards ? Because ultimately, pictures of scenes in China does nothing for the locals.

  4. #24

    Default

    how can we get to see his publications? on sale anywhere or available in the library?

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    singapore has no breathtaking scenery/landscapes that look like chinese brush paintings.
    Have lah, Uncle Zaren.... Jurong Man-made Waterfall at JBP!
    Last edited by engineermunn; 20th October 2004 at 02:28 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Padawan
    This is not flame....but China is more beautiful than Singapore....also most Sg'ians identify with China because most of us r Chinese.....maybe thats why Mr Teo like to go China???
    Nothing wrong with taking good and beautiful pictures of china, but to be award a Singapore Cultural Medalion for such a work ? No one else sees my point here ? Because how does such a work contribute to the Singapore Culture ?

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    Nothing wrong with taking good and beautiful pictures of china, but to be award a Singapore Cultural Medalion for such a work ? No one else sees my point here ? Because how does such a work contribute to the Singapore Culture ?
    Maybe because he can depict a cultural form of artwork - in this case, chinese painting style, in his photography?

  8. #28

    Default

    The emphasis is in Chinese culture. With the emergence of the Chinese empire, there is now a greater urgency to focus on all thing Chinese, be it language, crusine' or business. By giving the award to a Singapore-Chinese photographer who takes excellent pictures of Chinese landscapes, we are telling the Chinese government that we recognize and respect China. we may look we are sucking up to them but in the long run, Singapore benefits as China is a great economic power. Trust our government. This award is a right thing to do.

    More good years. More Foreign Talents!

    Quote Originally Posted by engineermunn
    Maybe because he can depict a cultural form of artwork - in this case, chinese painting style, in his photography?

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    Nothing wrong with taking good and beautiful pictures of china, but to be award a Singapore Cultural Medalion for such a work ? No one else sees my point here ? Because how does such a work contribute to the Singapore Culture ?
    Actually, Singapore Cultural Medalion is not abt singapore culture per se. It's more like the highest level of arts award in the country.

    Sure, TBY did not depicts singapore in his work as he mostly take landscape in China. But just take a sec and think about it. Isn't it great if he can take better pic of China than thousands in fact millions of Chinese Photographer.

    Art itself is very subjective. I think for TBY, there's some basis that his work lacks a bit of soul in a way that it does not evokes emotions when you see it. However, i think it's inevitable as he major in landscape and not in war photography like Steve McCurry.

    TBY actually was no.1 for PSA colour print category for 2 years, APSS and FPSS (I believe he did not take LPSS as he took APSS direct).

    More imptly, i think he's only a handful of people in this world (not just Singapore) to have 2 FRPS (i believe in Travel and another category). This itself i think is worthy of the CUltural Medallion. It's similar to winning the Olympics of Photography isn't it?

    Anyway, for me, i will never critisize others unless i can take better pics than the person i critisize. As for those so called Pros, I think it's time that they take a long hard look and appauld what TBY has achieved rather be green with envy.

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zguy
    how can we get to see his publications? on sale anywhere or available in the library?
    His website was mentioned in the Today article:

    http://www.teo-bee-yen.com/

  11. #31

    Default past CM winner for photography

    from NAC website the past CM for photography:

    1982 Mr David Tay Poey Cher
    1983 Mr Ang Chwee Chai
    1984 Mr Yip Cheong Fun
    1985 Mr Tan Lip Seng
    1987 Mr Lee Lim
    1988 Mr Chua Soo Bin
    1989 Mr Foo Tee Jun
    1990 Mr Peng Seng Wu

    how many do you know or heard of ? are they still active?
    any1 can provide more info on them will be helpful.


  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    His website was mentioned in the Today article:

    http://www.teo-bee-yen.com/
    The pics are good but but only the one on the cover of the book looks like a painting.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zguy
    from NAC website the past CM for photography:

    1982 Mr David Tay Poey Cher
    1983 Mr Ang Chwee Chai
    1984 Mr Yip Cheong Fun
    1985 Mr Tan Lip Seng
    1987 Mr Lee Lim
    1988 Mr Chua Soo Bin
    1989 Mr Foo Tee Jun
    1990 Mr Peng Seng Wu

    how many do you know or heard of ? are they still active?
    any1 can provide more info on them will be helpful.

    Well... happen to know quite a few of them as they were fomer or current PSS member...

    David Tay - President of PSS, NAC council
    Tan Lip Seng - Still PSS member, won numerous PSA awards including the galaxy star or something.
    Chua Soo Bin - Last time i met him, he was one of the judges for ClickArt, running his own photography business if i recall correctly.
    Foo Tee Jun - Ex-PSS instructor, i think he still teaches at one of the CCs, Kampong Glam i think
    Peng Seng Wu - PSS life member, very old, well-respected senior member, shd be retired from Photography already but still judges some of the PSS competitions and distinctions etc

    As for the rest, know very little of them as well....

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    Amateur is not "lousy" or "beginner". Amateur is non-profit making serious hobbyist! When we call ourselves amateurs, we are suppose to be rather good. That's why there are still terms like "beginners", "student" and currently "newbie".
    This is "student" writing.

    As I understood it, the term "amateur" originates from "amore", meaning "love". An amateur photographer therefore takes to photography because he/she loves the medium of photography. Likewise, an amateur poet, amateur sculpture.

    It has little to do with the skills level. It has more to do with an attitude for the medium.

  15. #35

    Default

    Mr Yip Cheong Fun is deceased.

    He was a teacher before he gave up all that for photography I think at about 50 years. His black & white photographs were breath-taking!

    I am trying to salvage his old negatives from his spouse.

  16. #36

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    Well... happen to know quite a few of them as they were fomer or current PSS member...

    David Tay - President of PSS, NAC council
    Tan Lip Seng - Still PSS member, won numerous PSA awards including the galaxy star or something.
    Chua Soo Bin - Last time i met him, he was one of the judges for ClickArt, running his own photography business if i recall correctly.
    Foo Tee Jun - Ex-PSS instructor, i think he still teaches at one of the CCs, Kampong Glam i think
    Peng Seng Wu - PSS life member, very old, well-respected senior member, shd be retired from Photography already but still judges some of the PSS competitions and distinctions etc

    As for the rest, know very little of them as well....
    Chua Soo Bin was a commercial photographer in his younger days, Before that, he was a art director. Since retiring as a photographer, he owns a art gallery, Soo Bin Gallery or sounds something like that. He is the uncle of Wee Khim.

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    Tan Lip Seng - Still PSS member, won numerous PSA awards including the galaxy star or something.
    You mean PSA 2nd Diamond Galaxy...

    from http://lipsengtan.elcreations.org

  18. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    There are many local painters that paints beautiful water color painting of the local scene........... there is one particularly good one, his name escapes me at the moment.
    are you referring to Mr Ong Kim Seng?

    Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    So my question is the same, y does work done on another country, another culture that is foreign to us is considered for the cultural medalion award ?

    As some one said above, people here connnects to China.......... so ? Shouldn't an artist who tries to examine life in our local context be more worthy of such an awards ? Because ultimately, pictures of scenes in China does nothing for the locals.
    What if someone who can shoot exceptionally well and who specialised in America or Europe scenery/subjects, do you think he will be awarded with a cultural medalion award?
    always the Light, .... always.

  19. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    are you referring to Mr Ong Kim Seng?
    What if someone who can shoot exceptionally well and who specialised in America or Europe scenery/subjects, do you think he will be awarded with a cultural medalion award?
    hmm........ i think it is him, I can recognize him as he appeared on many documentaries got this stiff jaw line look on his face.

    And for your next question, of course NOT !

    ok, just for comparism, remember reading a few foreigners who were honorary Singaporean citizenship due to their contribution to Singapore ?

    They were awarded by Singapore for their contribution to Singapore. Would it make sense for their home country to give them an award for work that benefits another country ?

    It is almost the same case here, except the photos are photos of China. Ultimately the work adds on another layer to THEIR culture as it brings about all the benefits of photography to China. It helps in the appreciation of the places featured on the photo.

    I'm not belittling his work, but for an awards named "SINGAPORE CULTURAL MEDALLION" It should tgo someone who makes a bigger impact on SINGAPORE CULTURE.

    Art is many ways is about self examining, discovering more about ourself and our relationship with the environment. Culture is something that is intimate, something that is tied even closer to the people and the environment. When a cultural award is given to work that is not relevant to it's people, I feel it is wrong, but that does not mean he does not deserve any recognition.

    BUT !!!!!!!!!!! then again

    "The Cultural Medallion was instituted in March 1979 as an initiative of our late President, Mr Ong Teng Cheong. The award recognises individuals who have attained artistic excellence in the fields of dance, theatre, music, literature, photography, art and as from 1997, film. The Cultural Medallion is conferred by the Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts and is administered by the National Arts Council, Singapore."

    http://www.nac.gov.sg/local_arts_sce...awards_01.html

    dunno why it is called the Cultural Medallion........... why not just the Singapore Art Award ?

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    So my question is the same, y does work done on another country, another culture that is foreign to us is considered for the cultural medalion award ?
    because he is a Singaporean?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •