Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cultural Medallion to Amateur photographer on Today

Default Cultural Medallion to Amateur photographer on Today

Just read Today and saw this article about some of the local pros not too pleased that this amateur won the award. Care to share some of your views?
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3
    17-40L F4, 28-70L F2.8, 24-105L F4, 50 F1.4, 70-200L F2.8

Correct me if i'm wrong: Think Teo Bee Yen cannot be considered as an amature. For those who are PSS members, you guys should know that he has achieved all the 3 top distinctions offered by PSS: LPSS, APSS and FPSS.

Like this still considered 'amature'??

Just a bunch of sore losers. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwong
    Just read Today and saw this article about some of the local pros not too pleased that this amateur won the award. Care to share some of your views?
    Why are they unhappy? This gentleman has won awards in international photo events and is Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society. He's more than qualified to win the Cultural Medallion for his photography.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

they all jealous mah...

Yeah I read about it too. I think those people classify pro as a person who does photography full time. This is always misunderstood. A pro does not have to be a full time photographer. And winning the award certainly does not mean that you need to be a pro.
    Last edited by jbma; 20th October 2004 at 09:47 AM.

I dont know this person well, but if the the TC does not state that the award winner must be a professional then give it to him if he deserve it!

Quote Originally Posted by arttl
    Correct me if i'm wrong: Think Teo Bee Yen cannot be considered as an amature. For those who are PSS members, you guys should know that he has achieved all the 3 top distinctions offered by PSS: LPSS, APSS and FPSS.

Like this still considered 'amature'??

Just a bunch of sore losers. That's all.
    you're right, despite winning those awards, he's still deemed as an amateur.....just because he choose to be a businessman and not a pro photographer? (in any case, i think he still earns more than of the pros ha...) case of sour grapes?
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    Yeah I read about it too. I think those people classify pro and a person who does photography full time. This is always misunderstood. A pro does not have to be a full time photographer. And winning the award certainly does not mean that you need to be a pro.
    well said....
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3

boho
    Guests

Smile amateur

anyone does photography as he interest and not doing it to earn a living, he/she should consider as amateur photographer.

I think the problem is the transparency in the selection.
    Why is he selected and not others?
    What makes him so unique from the rest, etc.....

By the way, have you seen his work before?

A person tagged "professional photographer" doesn't necessarily know how or have to take good photos. He might have gotten really lucky or knows hot to market himself very well.

agreed with you. It helps if you are a businessman by profession so that you have all the money and resources

1) to buy the top of the range camera
    2) to buy the best lens
    3) to journey to exotic places

to take award-winning photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    And winning the award certainly does not mean that you need to be a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitan
    agreed with you. It helps if you are a businessman by profession so that you have all the money and resources

1) to buy the top of the range camera
    2) to buy the best lens
    3) to journey to exotic places

to take award-winning photographs.

Streats has an article on him too. Inside, they reported that he owns two cameras, a p&s Nikon and a Hasselblad. I guess we have to look at what the Cultural Medallion (CM) is targetting. Inside Streats, the paper said that the CM is awarded to those who achieve artistic excellence. In this respect, I guess the CM is achievable by anyone young or old, amateur or pro, living or dead so long as you have attained some sort of cultural excellence. Why are SOME pros unhappy? To have a photographer awarded the CM is good for the scene isn't it? I wonder.

Amateur is not "lousy" or "beginner". Amateur is non-profit making serious hobbyist! When we call ourselves amateurs, we are suppose to be rather good. That's why there are still terms like "beginners", "student" and currently "newbie".

Check out www.dictionary.com:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=amateur

Professionals are those who make money. You can be really lousy, and yet a professional.
    Last edited by yowch; 20th October 2004 at 10:19 AM.

I just had the pleasure of enjoying Mr Teo's works in his, Affections For The Jiuzhai Valley and Terrace Field Of Yuan Yang both by Sichuan Fine Arts Publishing House, the almost absurd comment of Mr Teo's work "lacked soul" by the "majority" of professional photographers, in this morning's Today publication merely serves to reinforce the notion that ascribed professionals in the field often take much way too much pride in their "pro" status.

So, "pros" take a chill pill and allow the images to take you on a journey, a sojourn into the heart and soul of an individual whom dedicated his time to the arts.

just a note

I read on the ST that he does most of his work in China, y not Singapore ? How does this work helps the local art scene or us culturally ?

Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    just a note

I read on the ST that he does most of his work in China, y not Singapore ? How does this work helps the local art scene or us culturally ?
    singapore has no breathtaking scenery/landscapes that look like chinese brush paintings.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

just a note

This is not flame....but China is more beautiful than Singapore....also most Sg'ians identify with China because most of us r Chinese.....maybe thats why Mr Teo like to go China???

just a note

Singpore Landscapes are too artifical, nothing much in Singapore that can help local art scene with all the destorying of natural going on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast