Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 56 of 56

Thread: One Lousy experience with a cab ride

  1. #41

    Default Re: One Lousy experience with a cab ride

    Quote Originally Posted by de_stan View Post
    I had one bad experience with a taxi driver once, also had poor attitude.
    One night I flagged a cab to pick up a friend for supper. Upon getting into the cab I told the driver I wanted to go to Simei, then as the driver entered into the PIE I again told him when we reach Simei to just wait a while for my friend to arrive.
    Now here's the strange part, when he heard me say have to wait he shot back at me say 'Oh I cannot wait' in Mandarin. So I asked him why cannot wait 'Your meter will still be running'. His reply 'I just cannot wait lor'.
    The second reply from him really infuriated me, which taxi law states that drivers cannot wait for customers? What's more I told him to keep the meter running while waiting so I'm not short-changing him.
    So I looked for the license plate and name of the driver and wrote it down in my iPhone. By now the driver probably knows I took his details down for a complaint and changed his tone. But too late, the next day I wrote an email to the taxi company and described the whole incident and state the time, place, name and license plate of the driver involved.
    The taxi company replied me quite promptly and informed me that the driver's behaviour is not acceptable and will look into the matter.
    My intention is not to get the driver sacked, but as a paying customer I think I am entitled to the basic polite service from any staff. I don't think I'm asking for the sun and moon, just that to be insulted for such a trivial issue, no way am I going to pay to be insulted.

    So TS I support your decision to lodge a complaint!
    Hmm probably the taxi driver got something urgent to do at that time - but cannot explain what..

    Anyway.. Aiyooh come on people, don't let one or two cabbie drivers ruin your day!

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: One Lousy experience with a cab ride

    Quote Originally Posted by de_stan View Post
    ......... 'Oh I cannot wait' in Mandarin. So I asked him why cannot wait 'Your meter will still be running'. His reply 'I just cannot wait lor'.
    The second reply from him really infuriated me, which taxi law states that drivers cannot wait for customers? .......What's more I told him to keep the meter running while waiting so I'm not short-changing him....... I don't think I'm asking for the sun and moon, just that to be insulted for such a trivial issue, no way am I going to pay to be insulted.
    He did not insult you.
    There is also no law that says taxi drivers must wait for a second customer to arrive at a mid-journey stop.
    Many people have personal matters that they prefer not to reveal to others. For example, he may have to hand over the taxi at a certain time. He may have agreed to a pre-determined booking for other passenger and must arrive there on time. He may have an aged and sick parent at home to look after and he must be back on time to help the parent take medication. Etc...
    If you have special requirements like that (mid point stop and WAIT..for unspecified period - 10 minutes? 30 minutes? one hour? -so what if the meter is running and you agree to pay?) then say so before you board the taxi. If the taxi driver agrees to arrangement, then proceed.
    Your complaint against the taxi driver in this case is not justified.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 28th September 2011 at 11:37 AM.

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex

    He did not insult you.
    There is also no law that says taxi drivers must wait for a second customer to arrive at a mid-journey stop.
    Many people have personal matters that they prefer not to reveal to others. For example, he may have to hand over the taxi at a certain time. He may have agreed to a pre-determined booking for other passenger and must arrive there on time. He may have an aged and sick parent at home to look after and he must be back on time to help the parent take medication. Etc...
    If you have special requirements like that (mid point stop and WAIT..for unspecified period - 10 minutes? 30 minutes? one hour? -so what if the meter is running and you agree to pay?) then say so before you board the taxi. If the taxi driver agrees to arrangement, then proceed.
    Your complaint against the taxi driver in this case is not justified.
    Ur making alot of assumptions with zero knowledge of what actually happened. I mean how u know the driver has so n so things to do, EVEN if he does is it asking him too much to tell it politely. I would certainly be understanding to his needs but the fact is he did none of that but wad rude and unaccomodating.
    And when I said to wait awhile it is really awhile, my friend arrive in less than a minute upon my arrival. I was already on the phone with my friend when I got into the cab so as to minimize waiting time. U think I'm so dumb to wait in a cab while the meter is jumping!
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 | 35mm f1.8 | SB-900

  4. #44
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Come on man, taxi is a service industry, once u are on the wheel, u need to put ur family matter or whatever personal crab behind, u will need to provide the service general public expected. Passenger is ur employer, is asking u to detour or waiting for another passenger with meter running not acceptable? Even asking u to tour the singapore island one round also LLBP, if not u need to wake up and drive mrt instead. Some of the sympatiser above really make me wonder if u are affiliating to the driver and can cordon that kind of behavior? No wonder sg service quality can never catch up with the pace of GDP.

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,462

    Default Re: One Lousy experience with a cab ride

    Everywhere the same.Even in the malaysia which I've taken taxi inside the country.

  6. #46

    Default Re: One Lousy experience with a cab ride

    Now we are talking....

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Come on man, taxi is a service industry, once u are on the wheel, u need to put ur family matter or whatever personal crab behind, u will need to provide the service general public expected. Passenger is ur employer, is asking u to detour or waiting for another passenger with meter running not acceptable? Even asking u to tour the singapore island one round also LLBP, if not u need to wake up and drive mrt instead. Some of the sympatiser above really make me wonder if u are affiliating to the driver and can cordon that kind of behavior? No wonder sg service quality can never catch up with the pace of GDP.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

  7. #47

    Default Re: One Lousy experience with a cab ride

    Quote Originally Posted by de_stan View Post
    I had one bad experience with a taxi driver once, also had poor attitude.
    One night I flagged a cab to pick up a friend for supper. Upon getting into the cab I told the driver I wanted to go to Simei, then as the driver entered into the PIE I again told him when we reach Simei to just wait a while for my friend to arrive.
    Now here's the strange part, when he heard me say have to wait he shot back at me say 'Oh I cannot wait' in Mandarin. So I asked him why cannot wait 'Your meter will still be running'. His reply 'I just cannot wait lor'.
    The second reply from him really infuriated me, which taxi law states that drivers cannot wait for customers? What's more I told him to keep the meter running while waiting so I'm not short-changing him.
    So I looked for the license plate and name of the driver and wrote it down in my iPhone. By now the driver probably knows I took his details down for a complaint and changed his tone. But too late, the next day I wrote an email to the taxi company and described the whole incident and state the time, place, name and license plate of the driver involved.
    The taxi company replied me quite promptly and informed me that the driver's behaviour is not acceptable and will look into the matter.
    My intention is not to get the driver sacked, but as a paying customer I think I am entitled to the basic polite service from any staff. I don't think I'm asking for the sun and moon, just that to be insulted for such a trivial issue, no way am I going to pay to be insulted.

    So TS I support your decision to lodge a complaint!
    its a v strange thing.. probably 8 out of 10 cab drivers will not be happy if they hv to wait.. i experienced it numerous times..
    even if u tell them at the point when u board the cab (and not last minute) , that u need to pick someone up.. they just seemed so unhappy.. i really dun understand y..
    like wat u have said.. the meter is still running.. dunno wat is their issue.
    we can give the benefit of doubt that he may have something on etc etc.. but when it happens so often ( I know cos I take cabs most of the time)
    u WILL know that its basically the bad attitude of the drivers..

  8. #48

    Default Re: One Lousy experience with a cab ride

    i am not a taxi-driver and not defending them but there might be a misconception / misunderstanding

    yes the meter is running..
    yes you are paying him every single cents

    what if YOU drag the taxi driver for 15mins, 30mins, 1hour, 2hours, ... do you think they going to let you wait for your nanny, your mama, your papa, your puppy; although the meter is running at idling rate? the answer to them is straight forward. they have rental to be billed, petrol to be paid..

    btw, i used to book a cab. they charge hourly rate differently. they would base on no of customer they could pick up, distance that they can clock.. so do you think taxi driver is willing to let you wait for your nanny, your mama, your papa, your puppy with just the meter running?

  9. #49

    Default Re: One Lousy experience with a cab ride

    it takes two hands to clap.

    if the passenger is unhappy, it just means that you've let a simple thing get to you. because Customer Service feedback makes us to powerful, we've become haughty and uppity towards service providers. (which is very, very real)

    don't just look at the service provider, look at ourselves in the mirror. how many times i've been slighted by a customer because they've had a bad day, but yet i've got to smile and put on a good show through the verbal diarrhea and gesticulations.

    i just wish the customers' attitudes will catch up with the pace of GDP

  10. #50

    Default Re: One Lousy experience with a cab ride

    Bad service and picky taxi drivers- one of the main reasons I decided to buy a car 6 years ago ,believe it or not! I travel alot and don't have a desk bound job running at least 3-5 places a day n imagine everyday kena rejected by cab drivers who want to pick where they want to go. It's still a big problem till today and worst,fares are sky high now with all those extra charges!

    Tell me, when's the last time any taxi driver help u with the luggage at the airport even thought they charge u extra . They just open the car boot and stand there like a piece of wood, too 'precious' to move their bloody limbs. I've been to almost 60 countries n although sometimes u get the bad eggs who try to overcharge you ,almost all will at least help or provide u a with a level of basic service .

  11. #51

    Default Re: One Lousy experience with a cab ride

    It's pretty funny.. The cab driver has reasons, the cab driver has tons of reasons not to do this and do that. The cab drivers may be thinking this and thinking that. It could be the cab driver that he is this and he is that. Somehow of all the comments, it's hardly the case where "For some reasons, with the benefit of doubts on the passenger that the cab driver is just plain rude, impatient, ridiculous and incorrigible".

    Based on such biasing towards the drivers as being probably, might be, could be right. How about vice verse ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    i am not a taxi-driver and not defending them but there might be a misconception / misunderstanding

    yes the meter is running..
    yes you are paying him every single cents

    what if YOU drag the taxi driver for 15mins, 30mins, 1hour, 2hours, ... do you think they going to let you wait for your nanny, your mama, your papa, your puppy; although the meter is running at idling rate? the answer to them is straight forward. they have rental to be billed, petrol to be paid..

    btw, i used to book a cab. they charge hourly rate differently. they would base on no of customer they could pick up, distance that they can clock.. so do you think taxi driver is willing to let you wait for your nanny, your mama, your papa, your puppy with just the meter running?
    Last edited by David Kwok; 28th September 2011 at 10:46 PM.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

  12. #52

    Default Re: One Lousy experience with a cab ride

    can we not bash taxi drivers? this is turning into a bashing thread. Taxi Drivers are also trying to earn money like you and i. some are just sharing their experience, while others are generalizing all taxi drivers.

    true, they might not be entirely with good attitudes on the job, but can we say that we, too, have not been an arse to our colleagues or people we've done jobs for (free or paid)?

    let he who have no sin cast the first stone.

  13. #53

    Default Re: One Lousy experience with a cab ride

    I'm not bashing them you know. It's just that obviously the thread is not about saying how good the taxi drivers are right ? If it is, it will be a different thread title like "How fortunate is it that I encounter this driver".

    As much as we are now commenting about how some taxi drivers failed to deliver good services, I'm sure while the taxi drivers are resting in the kopitiam, they could jolly well be commenting on how lousy one of the passengers is. In fact, at this very moment while you are reading my post.

    Again. If it is a topic on how passengers behave badly in the cab, it will be another thread with another title in the www.taxifrustration.com forum, isn't it ? Since it is true that they might not be entirely with good attitudes, that is why we are discussing about it isn't it ? It is not a place to ask for forgiveness either.

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    can we not bash taxi drivers? this is turning into a bashing thread. Taxi Drivers are also trying to earn money like you and i. some are just sharing their experience, while others are generalizing all taxi drivers.

    true, they might not be entirely with good attitudes on the job, but can we say that we, too, have not been an arse to our colleagues or people we've done jobs for (free or paid)?

    let he who have no sin cast the first stone.
    Last edited by David Kwok; 28th September 2011 at 11:01 PM.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

  14. #54
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: One Lousy experience with a cab ride

    Taxi is king of the road....period

  15. #55

    Default Re: One Lousy experience with a cab ride

    Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    I'm not bashing them you know. It's just that obviously the thread is not about saying how good the taxi drivers are right ? If it is, it will be a different thread title like "How fortunate is it that I encounter this driver".

    As much as we are now commenting about how some taxi drivers failed to deliver good services, I'm sure while the taxi drivers are resting in the kopitiam, they could jolly well be commenting on how lousy one of the passengers is. In fact, at this very moment while you are reading my post.

    Again. If it is a topic on how passengers behave badly in the cab, it will be another thread with another title in the www.taxifrustration.com forum, isn't it ? Since it is true that they might not be entirely with good attitudes, that is why we are discussing about it isn't it ? It is not a place to ask for forgiveness either.
    not saying that you did bro. in fact, i had many lousy experiences with cab drivers too. just that i feel that we should live and let die. i empathize with you, but not some of the others who are just out to slam every taxi driver.

    while there are bad eggs, there are also good ones.

  16. #56

    Default Re: One Lousy experience with a cab ride

    Agreed! So lets close this thread and let good drivers earn more money from us and bad drivers drink more coffee and tea at kopitiam.

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    not saying that you did bro. in fact, i had many lousy experiences with cab drivers too. just that i feel that we should live and let die. i empathize with you, but not some of the others who are just out to slam every taxi driver.

    while there are bad eggs, there are also good ones.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •