Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 153

Thread: WARNING to all - leeching of pics (summer breeze deleted!)

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    Sad to hear of such things happening.

    Like they said. If you don't want it to be stolen, don't post it online. Want to view? Just maybe have some lim-teh / kopi session @ SEED or something to sit down and view it over a nice cuppa.
    exactly. its the same story as piracy.

  2. #62
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    You can't stop people from viewing/copying. Using flash also no use. i can just press the "Print Screen" key on my keyboard and paste the pic in Microsoft Paint, crop it, save and upload to another server.
    The issue of trying to protect your pictures from being "hijacked" has been around for a long time. I use to have my own webste where I display photos and graphic designs which got swiped. So there are a few ways in which I try to minimise it. (totally eradicating it is impossible)

    1) I never like to post my pictures now on sites like even Clubsnap UNLESS I am willing ot let it be swiped off. Of course you can lower the quality of the jpeg or you can put your big name over the picture as a semi transparent logo. If you are just wanting to show people the "feel" or "creative" of your shot..having your name or some copyright text over the picture in semi translucent mode is fine since you can still see the picture.

    2) Never think that just because you shot pictures of your wife or kids or some other common stuff that nobody will every think of swipping it. You are wrong it will be stolen too just for the hell of it ...... or in case it might be of some use in the future so they capture it to keep. Worst would be to find your g/f or wife's face plaster over some naked picture doing some 'acts' in a porn site! Yes..maybe even your kids photo ...for those pedo site.

    3) When I had my own website, I never do the webpages by just positioning my main photos onto the page as it is. I use a program like photoshop or firework to "SLICE UP" my picture into smaller pieces and then have the web program compose the picture together with html to form one whole picture when view by any one accessing my site to look at my photos. Yes to steal it would mean they have to save up all the mini parts. They could capture the sceen but I also make sure to keep the picture small so that though it might be use for website work, it will never to be high quality enough to be use in some print media project. And of course I would have my semi-visible copytext all over the picture like a motif. Useless you are a pro who is graphic and net savvy...you will not go to all that trouble to steal a photo from me. And even if they did..I will make it as hard on them to earn that illegal act of stealing my photos or graphics.

    4) Only put up or use pictures you are willing to let other swiped. This is the way it is for now till some fool proof way could be found to safe guard our own humble intellectual properties.

  3. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    hErE lAh
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    so you don't log in to view ?
    That was what I was told previously unless things could have changed ....

  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderlilz
    That was what I was told previously unless things could have changed ....

    well i don't know what has "changed" because i don't frequent that kind of sites.

    and yes, apparently you have to login so that you can send a private message to an admin and report a post too.

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    I bet you now that this story has come up, more CS members and others too will be going to their website. Some out of curiosity and some for fun. Let's not give them the publicity that they wanted in the first place. Just be careful about the photos you post. Like Nightwolf said we have to take care of our stuff. I have been in IT for many years and all I can say is there is no full proof way to protect your photos or website. I have a website which I intend to put pics of my family and also some other stuff but I scrap the idea last year because of exactly this. So guys do be careful.

  6. #66

    Default

    And I am trying to learn flash to put a small "firewall" between leechers and the photos. I understand that it is possible to leech from a flash site - but more work.

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    hErE lAh
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    well i don't know what has "changed" because i don't frequent that kind of sites.
    Uh huh

  8. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    hErE lAh
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    I bet you now that this story has come up, more CS members and others too will be going to their website. Some out of curiosity and some for fun.
    For sure

    Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    all I can say is there is no full proof way to protect your photos or website. I have a website which I intend to put pics of my family and also some other stuff but I scrap the idea last year because of exactly this.
    Totally agree with you on this. Its just too much of a hassle to bother.

  9. #69

    Default

    OT a bit,

    how many of u actually download a copy of the photos(not all, but maybe nice ones) into your computer, & view them for own reference?

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    hErE lAh
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    OT a bit,

    how many of u actually download a copy of the photos(not all, but maybe nice ones) into your computer, & view them for own reference?
    Ok my OT answer is Yes. I collect dolls and do this when I see a doll with a particular style of clothing or face up that I like and I would like to keep it for reference. I don't post these pictures up on any site as they don't belong to me.

  11. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    OT a bit,

    how many of u actually download a copy of the photos(not all, but maybe nice ones) into your computer, & view them for own reference?

    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderlilz
    Ok my OT answer is Yes. I collect dolls and do this when I see a doll with a particular style of clothing or face up that I like and I would like to keep it for reference. I don't post these pictures up on any site as they don't belong to me.

    i do - some fashion stuff for reference, and also bookmark some webbies.

    and i'm sure there're lots of people out there who download some other stuff and view them for own reference right ?

  12. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    and i'm sure there're lots of people out there who download some other stuff and view them for own reference right ?
    agree.
    So now is preventing people from leeching(bad), or preventing people from referencing(good) ?

  13. #73

    Default

    it's a tough question,

    but at least for what they were doing - discussing about the models' assets - sexually and all - i don't believe that is the original intent of putting up our photos here on clubsnap.

  14. #74
    Moderator sebastiansong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,556
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    i do - some fashion stuff for reference, and also bookmark some webbies.

    and i'm sure there're lots of people out there who download some other stuff and view them for own reference right ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    it's a tough question,

    but at least for what they were doing - discussing about the models' assets - sexually and all - i don't believe that is the original intent of putting up our photos here on clubsnap.

    downloading without permission FOR ANY REASON IS WRONG. Its like saying I steal from the rich to save the poor, its ok but if I steal and keep the money myself then I am wrong... there is no grey area here. Just because others do it doesnt mean u are right to do so. Bookmarking is ok not downloading.

    the key is if you don want leeching, you don post, period. You post, you open yourself to the possibility of leeching.
    Last edited by sebastiansong; 20th October 2004 at 11:27 PM.

  15. #75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sebastiansong
    downloading without permission FOR ANY REASON IS WRONG. Its like saying I steal from the rich to save the poor, its ok but if I steal and keep the money myself then I am wrong... there is no grey area here. Just because others do it doesnt mean u are right to do so. Bookmarking is ok not downloading.

    the key is if you don want leeching, you don post, period. You post, you open yourself to the possibility of leeching.

    thanks for your info, but where did i mention "without permission" ?

    i don't like your analogy here - they're discussing assets, we're discussing photography...


    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderlilz
    Ok my OT answer is Yes. I collect dolls and do this when I see a doll with a particular style of clothing or face up that I like and I would like to keep it for reference. I don't post these pictures up on any site as they don't belong to me.
    sebastian has spoken.

  16. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sebastiansong
    downloading without permission FOR ANY REASON IS WRONG. Its like saying I steal from the rich to save the poor, its ok but if I steal and keep the money myself then I am wrong... there is no grey area here. Just because others do it doesnt mean u are right to do so. Bookmarking is ok not downloading.

    the key is if you don want leeching, you don post, period. You post, you open yourself to the possibility of leeching.
    wah...so fierce

  17. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default

    I am evil. Can plant a virus inside 1 of my hotlink photos so whoever download it will kanna.

  18. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Behind the viewfinder...
    Posts
    5,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sebastiansong

    the key is if you don want leeching, you don post, period. You post, you open yourself to the possibility of leeching.

    well spoken Seb

  19. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    how does one prove a digital image is owned by them ?since there is no negatives..

  20. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    hErE lAh
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    sebastian has spoken.
    My personal view:

    I see it as similar to photocopying, ie, its not illegal to photocopy up to the limited number of pages (NOT THE WHOLE BOOK) under the law as long as its for personal reference and commercial use.

    Quote Originally Posted by sebastiansong
    the key is if you don want leeching, you don post, period. You post, you open yourself to the possibility of leeching.
    This I agree with. When your pictures get leeched, don't complain

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •