Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 153

Thread: WARNING to all - leeching of pics (summer breeze deleted!)

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    east side
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    hmm just went thru my domain control panel , discovered sammyboy forums have been linking to my photos too....
    damn!!!

  2. #22

    Default Right-click disable

    Why not disable 'right-click' for the CS Galleries? It is not perfect but helps a lot! There are ways around it, but most people won't bother.

    Here is the code that I use in pbase. Just paste the code into the tech notes on the edit photo page. Also, you can use the tech notes batch update function.

    Code:
    <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- 
    function click(e) { 
    if (document.all) { 
    if (event.button == 2) { 
    alert("please do not right-click"); 
    return false; 
    } 
    } 
    if (document.layers) { 
    if (e.which == 3) { 
    alert("please do not right-click"); 
    return false; 
    } 
    } 
    } 
    if (document.layers) { 
    document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN); 
    } 
    document.onmousedown=click; 
    // --> </script>

  3. #23

    Default

    Disabling hotlinking is double edged.
    If they really want to leech, & if they can't hotlink, they'll download, & upload to somewhere else, and that'll be more problematic than sequitur's case.

  4. #24

    Default

    Is it possible to modify the server setups such that if the referring host is one of the 'undesirables', it gets pipe to some funny message?

  5. #25
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    i suggest u guys and gals to password protect ur pics. i noticed that after the warning on sammyboy, the people there are threatening to replicate the pics here on another server to hotlink them.

    mods, is there a way to prevent such things?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    i suggest u guys and gals to password protect ur pics. i noticed that after the warning on sammyboy, the people there are threatening to replicate the pics here on another server to hotlink them.

    mods, is there a way to prevent such things?
    They can always resort to taking snapshots of the page to get the image, if they are really that desparate....... Juz make it a lot harder than keying in a url to frustrate the lazy lamers. u cant really stop the determined lamers, esp if they are hormone driven.....

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Can this be done at the gallery level or every individual pics. The latter is quite tedious...


    Quote Originally Posted by r52lanc
    Why not disable 'right-click' for the CS Galleries? It is not perfect but helps a lot! There are ways around it, but most people won't bother.

    Here is the code that I use in pbase. Just paste the code into the tech notes on the edit photo page. Also, you can use the tech notes batch update function.

    Code:
    <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- 
    function click(e) { 
    if (document.all) { 
    if (event.button == 2) { 
    alert("please do not right-click"); 
    return false; 
    } 
    } 
    if (document.layers) { 
    if (e.which == 3) { 
    alert("please do not right-click"); 
    return false; 
    } 
    } 
    } 
    if (document.layers) { 
    document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN); 
    } 
    document.onmousedown=click; 
    // --> </script>

  8. #28

    Default

    HOw to add password for picture?

  9. #29
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zorro18
    Can this be done at the gallery level or every individual pics. The latter is quite tedious...
    i tried doing a test in the garbage area. dunno how to do it.

    i second the suggestion to implement some form of protection at server level. can the mods pls consider?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  10. #30

    Default

    Blokcking a direct linkage to image is a good idea.
    Picture owner can put a Copyright statement on the picture as well. At least do something for you own picture, right?
    ****!! It is a R(A) web site. The models reputation/image will be affected.
    Is it posibble to sue them?
    Last edited by juste_millieu; 20th October 2004 at 09:01 AM.

  11. #31

    Default

    kind of bad ah..
    leech to some R(A) sites, not that the gals are nude or something....?

  12. #32
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,510
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Sorry to hear that some of the members pics have been leeched to Sammyboy - this issue (leeching in general, not specific to Sammyboy or SGGirls) will pop up from time to time. Only now, the severity and impact of the leech is due to the nature of the site where the leeched pictures are posted.

    There's only a couple of things that we as Admins/Mods of this site (and the affected member) can do:-
    1. Email/contact Sammyboy owner (Samuel Leong) and request that the offending posts/threads are removed.
    2. Edit the links (replace with a JPG that basically says "Image removed" or something) or remove the images from your site.

    Thats it - not a lot more that we can do.

    Technically speaking, since the images are stored on a site which is not controlled by us, we cannot stop hotlinking to the images.

    We can control hotlinking if the files are stored in a server in a ***.clubsnap.org/com domain; but even then, that doesn't stop the leechers from downloading the images and storing them somewhere else.

    At the moment, we are working on a couple of things that we can control on our Gallery server which is :-
    1) disable hotlinking (which is currently *not* enabled due to some issue with firewalls, notable Win XP SP2 firewall) - images will still be able to be hotlinked to the Forums (within our domain).
    2) disable right-click functionality (double-edged sword as it also prevents the rightful owner from using right-click to see the image properties/URL for embedding into the Forums)
    3) disable downloading of pictures from Gallery.

    Once we have those features implemented on the Gallery server, the pictures are "safer" but leechers can still take a screenshot (an extra step?).

    So, in short, there's no totally foolproof way (well, there is, but it cost $$$ and everyone has to install a viewer program on their PC) to prevent leeching of images.

  13. #33
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,510
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    i tried doing a test in the garbage area. dunno how to do it.

    i second the suggestion to implement some form of protection at server level. can the mods pls consider?
    We will re-implement the Hotlinking Protection for the Gallery server sometime today.

    It was turned off due to some issues that members were having with their firewall setups.

    Please note that we can only control hotlinking if the images are stored within the ClubSNAP domains (clubsnap.org/.com/.net/.com.sg) and we cannot help you if your image is hosted elsewhere (eg pbase, photobucket, your own domain )

    This also does not address the ability of the leecher to *download* the picture and store it on his/her own server/image storage elsewhere.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Actually, you can make it hard for the leechers by chopping up your pics into small pieces and use code to rearrange them to display them.... example, divide your pics into 10 x 10 squares. Say your image is 600x400 pixels. You chop it into 100 pieces of 60x40 pixels and label them randomly! No way the leecher is gonna take the trouble to download 100 pieces and then link them together again. hahaha!

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Actually, you can make it hard for the leechers by chopping up your pics into small pieces and use code to rearrange them to display them.... example, divide your pics into 10 x 10 squares. Say your image is 600x400 pixels. You chop it into 100 pieces of 60x40 pixels and label them randomly! No way the leecher is gonna take the trouble to download 100 pieces and then link them together again. hahaha!

    Brilliant method, feasible to implement with some coding.

  16. #36
    Member ransoma22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    KTV Lounge Hall
    Posts
    1,212

    Default

    Sad to hear that, hotlinking and leeching of model photos do happen now and then since the formation of Clubsnap.

    Some ways...
    1) Disable Right Click
    http://www.google.com.sg/search?hl=e...ht+click&meta=

    2) Stop hotlinking to others sites using your server control panel

    3) Don't post

    4) Password protect

    5) Use Macromedia Flash, mask out the URL links.

    These are some of the ways but not fool-proof. There still web/images grabber to grab images using software without visiting your websites, screen capture, etc


    You can't stop them but to minimize the damage to some extent..

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afiend

    Brilliant method, feasible to implement with some coding.
    Yeah... been toying with this idea for a while... but lazy to code.

    Hahaha! Of course if the leecher is a programmer, he can easily find ways aroound this also.

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    474

    Default

    the concern here is that this will scare the models away.....what seems like an innocent photo-shoot can actually be a disaster for the models.

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Redhill
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    If I remember correctly, Window's wonderful screen shot can even grab a Flash frame... If not, there are other software that grabs screenshots.

    Simply put, if it can be seen, it can be stolen.

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default

    I believe our IT expert members can find out who is the poster of that post in sammyboy. And I believe he is 1 of the active member here as well.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •