Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compact Digital Camera Under $200

Default Re: Compact Digital Camera Under $200

Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    Nothing wrong with posing such a question for someone who is new & not as knowledgable or skillful in this photography thing. See some I-know-it-all, go-only-for-the-best & dont-ask-stupid-questions characters here that is such a put off. Of course TS can go to a camera shop & do some googling himself but I think he is trying to get some help from the experienced, the gurus, the experts, the professionals here. Is this forum not for compact users??? because I am a compact user myself. A pity for the forum imo.
    The experienced, the gurus, the experts, the professionals here will tell you the same thing that is posted in every other "recommend me a compact camera" thread: There is not that much difference between cameras in the same budget range, get what you feel is the easiest for you to use.

The point is, there is NOTHING that would prevent him from going to a shop, listing the cameras that meet his budget, doing a bit of research, then ask on here for specific recommendations between his shortlisted 3-5 options. That approach, where someone obviously put an effort, is always appreciated. But to come on here and demand that people spoonfeed him answers without putting in any effort other than registering a CS nick degrades CS to a free concierge service. A pity for the forum imo.
    Alpha

THANKS spree 86. kei1309, small pig, edutilos, s1221ljc,sgciti55, and everyone
    for giving great advise and support.

I know i don't have the $ for DSLR, but i hope a small digital camera would help me gear start the love for photography.

Quote Originally Posted by theo505 View Post

I know i don't have the $ for DSLR, but i hope a small digital camera would help me gear start the love for photography.
    Yes, just get a cheap camera will be fine... I started off with a Canon Powershot myself a while back actually... Made a fool of myself, but it was fun.

You can concentrate on the composition first. If possible, I suggest you look for a camera with manual functions, i.e. P, A, S, M modes, just to get familiar with the concept of exposure. The old Canon entry level Powershots used to have that... Nowadays they don't, which is kinda sad.

Yes I have been to a couple of shops like TK, Best Denki, Courts, Alan Photo and most of the sales people told me different feature about different brands. Usually they would advise me to spend something like $500-$900 to get something that is reasonably good.

Maybe my $200 may not be enough and may not get something reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Yes, just get a cheap camera will be fine... I started off with a Canon Powershot myself a while back actually... Made a fool of myself, but it was fun.

You can concentrate on the composition first. If possible, I suggest you look for a camera with manual functions, i.e. P, A, S, M modes, just to get familiar with the concept of exposure. The old Canon entry level Powershots used to have that... Nowadays they don't, which is kinda sad.
    Nothing wrong to get a compact. What is suggested here, a camera that has PASM modes are the most important features to look for in any compact if you want to have control over the photos you take. $200 can get you a decent compact in the B&S with these features. Better if you can get one that allow you to mount filters.
    There are sellers for the old powershots S3, S5 etc. Check them out.

Some ppl take photos for memory and not abt IQ. Look at those photos your parents took, you are looking at the memories perspective rather than IQ...

Quote Originally Posted by theo505
    Yes I have been to a couple of shops like TK, Best Denki, Courts, Alan Photo and most of the sales people told me different feature about different brands. Usually they would advise me to spend something like $500-$900 to get something that is reasonably good.

Stick to yr budget. Don't overspend.

I got a panasonic LZ10 too, same as someone in this thread, for less than $200. It's a good cam with full manual functions.

Who says cheap cameras are no good?

U can consider canon powershot models that runs on AA batt. They are good cameras to suit yr budget.

Sony also has models that suit your budget.

From my experience, all cameras are the same under broad daylight. It's the low light environment that separates the good from the bad.

Anyway, don't bother too much about low light. Be happy with what u going to have.

Personally I don't recommend getting 2nd hand cameras coz there may have defects that u can't know upon purchase, unless the seller is yr personal friend or u r very familiar with that camera.

Personally, I really think that if you are shooting in bright day light conditions only, even the Canon IXUS series (cost 200ish) will fit your bill. For the low light performance, try not to expect too much and use the flash. Not many P&S score very well in the low light high ISO sector.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

I am looking for a new compact camera that cost below $200. Sorry got a tight budget.
    I need a camera that can take SHARP images with GREAT colours. Any recommendation from anyone. Thank you CS
    Ok, here's another lobang for your budget.

Better grab it fast before it's too late.....

http://www.groupon.sg/deals/deals-ne...70&a=715827986

Only $122 for Casio Cam

Dont look dow on Casio. I used to own one last time, when the latest tech was a 4 MP camera. And i was so pleased with my Casio. The colours are so natural and real..... and now i looked back at those old photos taken with casio, they look better than the present P&S models

Heck, for $122, what do you expect???

Almost every brand has a sub-$200 camera (retail price). You should just look up every one of those, and see which one you like, plus read up some reviews. Canon and Nikon have their RRPs listed on their websites. Can also consider Casio, Fujifilm, Olympus, Sony, Samsung, etc. Canon cheapest Powershot is A1200 ($149) or A2200 ($179), for example, or slightly above $200 for their slightly better ones. You can try all of them at the Canon showroom at Vivocity without salesmen to pressure you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok
    Lol...
    You look like a monkey in yr avatar...lol..

lol is it ? I'm glad you notice that. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tweakmax3 View Post
    You look like a monkey in yr avatar...lol..
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

I am looking for a new compact camera that cost below $200. Sorry got a tight budget.
    I need a camera that can take SHARP images with GREAT colours. Any recommendation from anyone. Thank you CS
    there are currently 22 compact digital camera you can choose from;
    look at those $150 and below after taking into account of the exchange rate at 1.3<< click on link
    Now you need to do a bit of homework yourself by reading the review of these cameras to find the one that can take SHARP images with GREAT colours
    Review can be found in the same site or google for more.
    Last edited by coolthought; 28th September 2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

I started off using a Sony cybershot about 11 years ago doing underwater photography, that time only 2.8mp, imagine the improvement for any P&S camera. I think just get any decent camera within your budget as suggested by seniors here will be fine. most importantly is to enjoy shooting as you move along. G'day

I have try to find some links to help you get started with a compact camera.

You can search for photos taken with a compact camera in sites like this one
    Think of what your compact camera can do rather than what it can't
    being light and compact, you probably might be taking more photos than some of those with a dslr.

hope this humble photo of mine can help to inspire you.
    You can search for the better ones out there.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/notslr/
    Last edited by coolthought; 28th September 2011 at 05:27 PM.

just start with what you can afford.
    One more piece of equipment highly recommended to get is a cheap tripod.
    Probably can get one that is less than $30 that is good enough for your compact camera.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/searc...archid=1353314

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE MASTERS (See FU) , also thanks for all your helpful advises

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE MASTERS (See FU) , also thanks for all your helpful advises
    IMO for compacts, don't buy Nikon. I've had 2 Coolpix cameras and they're pretty awful. Focusing is slow and a lot of times cannot focus. Had the same bad experience with Casio Exilim cameras.

The Canon Powershot or Ixus range are much better.

And remember: just because you're using a compact that's $200 or less, it doesn't mean you cannot take great pictures. While expensive equipment help a lot, great pictures come from careful composition and an awareness of your environment and lighting. Have fun!
    Stuff I'm reasonably proud of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctky1973/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Ok, here's another lobang for your budget.

Better grab it fast before it's too late.....

http://www.groupon.sg/deals/deals-ne...70&a=715827986

Only $122 for Casio Cam

Dont look dow on Casio. I used to own one last time, when the latest tech was a 4 MP camera. And i was so pleased with my Casio. The colours are so natural and real..... and now i looked back at those old photos taken with casio, they look better than the present P&S models

Heck, for $122, what do you expect???
    Oooo... the Casio Exlim when it first came out... digital camera with mp3 player built in... Sure bring back lots of memories...

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Oooo... the Casio Exlim when it first came out... digital camera with mp3 player built in... Sure bring back lots of memories...
    Maybe I just had a lemon Exilim. Mine had slow AF, and the AF often doesn't lock, although when it does the IQ is not bad. My Canon compacts on the other hand have been great.
    Stuff I'm reasonably proud of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctky1973/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast