Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Panning shots

  1. #1

    Default Panning shots

    Hi,

    Any recommendation for the following
    Pan shots at night for formula 1.
    which lens to use (wide or zoom)?
    and what settings?

    i have tripod n kit 18-55 w kr now only is it enough?


    Thanks pentaxians

  2. #2
    Member cubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: Panning shots

    How close r u to the action ...
    Catch the light ... with K5 x GR V x Asahi Kx

  3. #3

    Default Re: Panning shots

    Quote Originally Posted by cubicon View Post
    How close r u to the action ...
    From pics it show moi quite near but not sure

  4. #4
    Member cubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: Panning shots

    wat pics ?
    Catch the light ... with K5 x GR V x Asahi Kx

  5. #5
    Senior Member sunnycamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    2,028

    Default Re: Panning shots

    as it is sports, so the lighting there should be quite good, almost like daylight lighting condition,

    so kit lens should be fine.

    buy I guess, borrow a 70-300mm would be quite good, as even you are close to the track, 300mm give you big panning range.
    K-01: S8FE, DA35, DA70 Flickr

  6. #6

    Default Re: Panning shots

    Quote Originally Posted by cubicon View Post
    wat pics ?
    Where my seat venue is

  7. #7

    Default Re: Panning shots

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnycamera View Post
    as it is sports, so the lighting there should be quite good, almost like daylight lighting condition,

    so kit lens should be fine.

    buy I guess, borrow a 70-300mm would be quite good, as even you are close to the track, 300mm give you big panning range.
    Anybody willing to spare??

  8. #8
    Senior Member sunnycamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    2,028

    Default Re: Panning shots

    as from my signature.
    "Pentax K-x with 6 ancient manual lens"

    my lens are all old film age manual focus lens, don't have auto focus function, not that ideal for sports.
    K-01: S8FE, DA35, DA70 Flickr

  9. #9

    Default Re: Panning shots

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnycamera View Post
    as from my signature.
    "Pentax K-x with 6 ancient manual lens"

    my lens are all old film age manual focus lens, don't have auto focus function, not that ideal for sports.
    Actually, Manual Focus lens are good for panning also ah.

    Manual Lens 135mm


    Manual Lens 83mm


    DA 40mm (but can't rem is auto or manual focus)


    I only don't like the fence. This time round , I'm just going to sit there and enjoy while watching.. hee..

    Advice: Try to take during Fri (The best time) or Sat as there are lesser crowds, it give you the opportunity to move down the stands to take pictures without issues. Or you can walk about to find the best shooting place at the walkabout area..

    Cheers,

  10. #10
    Senior Member sunnycamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    2,028

    Default Re: Panning shots

    cool shots, I never tried that before, has to set focus before hand and wait then,

    if the car driving towards you, then the sudden change of focal distance would be also challenging.

    for longer focal length, the dof in-focal range is also, narrower. for 50mm around, set to infinite, then almost everything will be in focus
    Last edited by sunnycamera; 21st September 2011 at 10:14 PM.
    K-01: S8FE, DA35, DA70 Flickr

  11. #11

    Default Re: Panning shots

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnycamera View Post
    cool shots, I never tried that before, has to set focus before hand and wait then,

    if the car driving towards you, then the sudden change of focal distance would be also challenging.

    for longer focal length, the dof in-focal range is also, narrower. for 50mm around, set to infinite, then almost everything will be in focus
    Yup, you got to pre focus ur shots, so that's when you need to try to focus at the area you are going to shoot. But panning, is to move from right to left. Since it's manual, ur focus is set to the point u want to shoot and Multi-shot and hope it come out the best. Those F1 are too fast to really let your Autofocus to work i felt. Unless you are taking, at the cornering area.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Panning shots

    What settings should i be looking for ?

  13. #13
    Member pentriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Guilin in Gombak
    Posts
    1,528

    Default Re: Panning shots

    been to 1st & 2nd year F1 race.
    decided to watch instead of shoot, unless i sit at grandstand or am part of the press.
    a good spot for walkabout is hard to come by cos you be shooting heads or fence.
    some people get grandstand tickets so that they can go near the fence to shoot.
    Pentax for Life

  14. #14

    Default Re: Panning shots

    Quote Originally Posted by pentriot View Post
    been to 1st & 2nd year F1 race.
    decided to watch instead of shoot, unless i sit at grandstand or am part of the press.
    a good spot for walkabout is hard to come by cos you be shooting heads or fence.
    some people get grandstand tickets so that they can go near the fence to shoot.
    Mine is grandstand tix is the 18-55 enough?

  15. #15
    Member pentriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Guilin in Gombak
    Posts
    1,528

    Default Re: Panning shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Meritus View Post
    Mine is grandstand tix is the 18-55 enough?
    it depend which grandstand and the location of your seat.
    if there are standing space near the fence which you can shoot through the fence openings will be great. suggest you forgo the seat and stay at the fence throughout the race.
    i will use 80-200mm or other lens around this range. my 2 cents.
    Pentax for Life

  16. #16

    Default Re: Panning shots

    Quote Originally Posted by pentriot View Post
    it depend which grandstand and the location of your seat.
    if there are standing space near the fence which you can shoot through the fence openings will be great. suggest you forgo the seat and stay at the fence throughout the race.
    i will use 80-200mm or other lens around this range. my 2 cents.
    I am considering on the 55-300 is it alright?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Panning shots

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnycamera View Post
    as from my signature.
    "Pentax K-x with 6 ancient manual lens"

    my lens are all old film age manual focus lens, don't have auto focus function, not that ideal for sports.
    is ok, you need to pre focus but not auto focus... if auto focus, 80% chance focus on the fence...

  18. #18

    Default Re: Panning shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Meritus View Post
    I am considering on the 55-300 is it alright?
    U are going to buy the 55-300 just for the F1 to shoot?
    Try with your kits lens 18-50. If you are standing near the fence, it should be close enough?

    Which grandstand will you be at?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Panning shots

    after last year exp...
    have some concludion....
    1. if want long len... use the F 2.8 or something big.... get to the fence as close as possible.... pre-focus at the just before the turning point so will slow down.......
    2. if use something short, use the F 2.8 or something big, stand at high ground and try pan shots...

    both will busrt mode and high ISO and fast shutter speed... and try to shoot at first night.... as they will drive slow of the test run...
    but due to safty reason, you will always got to keep a distant from the fence about 5 meter...

    sorry if i tok cork here.... not really have nice output to show from last year... any brother feel free to correct me...
    Last edited by Moonlightsg; 22nd September 2011 at 02:08 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Panning shots

    Quote Originally Posted by ranchy View Post
    U are going to buy the 55-300 just for the F1 to shoot?
    Try with your kits lens 18-50. If you are standing near the fence, it should be close enough?

    Which grandstand will you be at?
    Marina pit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •