Thread: Format SD card via computer or camera ? Any difference ?

Default Format SD card via computer or camera ? Any difference ?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering after copying the pic files onto the computer, to free up the memony, should i " QUICK FORMAT" the SD card or should I use the camera in processing to clear the files?

Are there any differences? which is the "correct way" to ensure my SD card can last longer?

Cheers!

Default Re: Format SD card via computer or camera ? Any difference ?

Always format in camera as camera data is made ready for the card to accept new images when formatting is done. Also images easier to recover on card if need to after accidental deleting or formatting. This is best way to ensure life span of memory card.
    Shoot what you like
    D200|D70|18-135|18-70|SB800

all along I'm using the camera to format the card, faster and safer.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

If I am not wrong, there is a little bit more than just formatting.
    The formatting done in camera will be better as it "spec" it to it.
    I don't have any solid info now, you can try google it to see if the above statement is right.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

I don't think camera spec anything on the card. It just pre-create all those folders and metadata files which are required for the camera to store information. If those files and folders do not exist, the camera firmware will create them. There is really not much performance you can gain from format in the camera or pc. But if you find formatting in the PC doesn't allow the camera to store and failed to work properly. It's better to just let the camera do it because after all, it's requirement of the device to set the environment suitable for itself.

Unlike PC format where there are option to test blocks on hard disk or magnetic devices, flash devices requires no block examination. It's damaging for flash medium have much lower erase cycle than magnetic medium. I bet camera just perform file allocation table update on the device to so call format the medium. It doesn't touch every block of data space to ensure erasure. It's a waste of time to perform such act. Camera is not a security device to offer wipe functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    If I am not wrong, there is a little bit more than just formatting.
    The formatting done in camera will be better as it "spec" it to it.
    I don't have any solid info now, you can try google it to see if the above statement is right.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

whoa so cheem....the thot nvr crossed my mind...to me its like deciding between whether putting coins in ur left or right pocket...

Erm, okay, then put in your right pocket, it's the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopiko79 View Post
    whoa so cheem....the thot nvr crossed my mind...to me its like deciding between whether putting coins in ur left or right pocket...
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw