Thread: Which Travel Backpack (Functional yet discreet) to UK?

Default Which Travel Backpack (Functional yet discreet) to UK?

Hi friends,
    Am taking a trip to the UK soon.
    Looking to get a travel backpack for my gear:
    - Canon 7D
    - Tamron 70-300
    - Tamron 17-50
    - Canon 50
    - Tokina 11-16
    - release cable
    - 4 section tripod
    - extra batt, CF cards
    - possibly a Mac Book Pro 15"
    Since I might go to the rowdy parts of Ireland + Scotland as well, would prefer to get a backpack that is discreet (ie does not shout: "I am a camera bag! Come steal me!) but is roomy enough for all the above gear.
    So far considered Kata, Lowepro, Think Tank and Tamrac.
    Kata is too flashy, Lowepro also shouts camera bag, Think Tank seems bulky, Tamrac looks to be decent.
    Any advice greatly appreciated!
    theDevilisinthedetails.

Default Re: Which Travel Backpack (Functional yet discreet) to UK?

Take a look at kata bumblebee. I am now in Amsterdam and flying to UK on 29.09.2011. Then driving to SouthWest England till 09.10.2011. Flying from Stansted to Edinburgh on 09.10.2011. Already rent a car until 24.10.2011.

Thanks Tony!
    Bumblebee does look less 'eye-catching' than the 1-2-3 series, may give serious consideration.
    Vanguard uprise 46 also looks pretty good actually!
    theDevilisinthedetails.

Quote Originally Posted by tonychua View Post
    Take a look at kata bumblebee. I am now in Amsterdam and flying to UK on 29.09.2011. Then driving to SouthWest England till 09.10.2011. Flying from Stansted to Edinburgh on 09.10.2011. Already rent a car until 24.10.2011.
    You sound like a globe-trotter! How enviable! ;D
    Enjoy your trip!
    theDevilisinthedetails.

Can consider Vanguard as well, they have some really nice backpacks.

Personally, I always prefer shoulder bags...

its the tripod that usually gives away the trick so either it fits inside the bag or is concealed.

perhaps what you should get is a travel bag but instead use a insert for your stuff like so,

You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Can consider Vanguard as well, they have some really nice backpacks.

Personally, I always prefer shoulder bags...
    Yup thanks! The Uprise 46 / 48 looks to be pretty good... but only thing is I don't like how the camera gear fills up the entire front compartment... there's no proper 'daypack' compartment for travel guide, maps, flashlight, glasses etc...
    theDevilisinthedetails.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    its the tripod that usually gives away the trick so either it fits inside the bag or is concealed.

perhaps what you should get is a travel bag but instead use a insert for your stuff like so,

That looks interesting!
    Where do you get one of these?
    Only prob i can see is that taking out the gear would be kinda a hassle?
    theDevilisinthedetails.

Frankly, if there's fear of attracting unwanted attention from thieves & robbers, then the moment we whip out our Nikons & Canon with all those gorgeous big shiny lens, we are are already asking for trouble. Also, one look at us & it shouts Tourists! & we become targets, cameras or not. More important we take care not to loose it in moment of carelessness & do some research to take precautions where we go & with whom. Every country has its danger zones which we should best avoid, or we should go in groups for safety. So far I made more friends & have more sharing on my travels when people know I am into photography. They even gave me valuable tips, suggest best local spots etc.... Just my experience & opinion.

P.S. I am more worried about my personal & my companion's safety, about my money, than the camera. If the robbers get to my photo equipments, they will not get away easily because they are damn too heavy to run away with fast
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 23rd September 2011 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    Frankly, if there's fear of attracting unwanted attention from thieves & robbers, then the moment we whip out our Nikons & Canon with all those gorgeous big shiny lens, we are are already asking for trouble. Also, one look at us & it shouts Tourists! & we become targets, cameras or not. More important we take care not to loose it in moment of carelessness & do some research to take precautions where we go & with whom. Every country has its danger zones which we should best avoid, or we should go in groups for safety. So far I made more friends & have more sharing on my travels when people know I am into photography. They even gave me valuable tips, suggest best local spots etc.... Just my experience & opinion.

P.S. I am more worried about my personal & my companion's safety, about my money, than the camera. If the robbers get to my photo equipments, they will not get away easily because they are damn too heavy to run away with fast
    Well good point about the equipment being heavy and cumbersome to run away with!
    theDevilisinthedetails.

Hi toxicboy, im now facing a similar situation as you were.... To check which bag you got at last? Pls share yr reason and user experience.
    Many many thanks!!!!
    ペンタックス K1 K5, FA31, FA77, DA15, DA* 16-50, Sigma 10-20, Metz 58 AF-2

If you are going around to take photographs most of the time, the appearance of your bag doesn't seems to make a lot of difference since the focus will be on you hand.

Kata is too flashy, Lowepro also shouts camera bag, Think Tank seems bulky, Tamrac looks to be decent.
    The brands you have mentioned above makes bag for most professional photographer and you can't go wrong with them. Do consider Case Logic too.

Cheers