View Poll Results: Where to get the Best Fries?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • MacDonalds

39 54.17%
  • Burger King

3 4.17%
  • KFC

2 2.78%
  • Long Johns Silver

6 8.33%
  • Mos Burger

14 19.44%
  • I rather cook my own

8 11.11%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where To get the Best Fries?

Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel
    Go to Cold Storage or any of the more 'Ang Mo' types of grocery store and look for an item around the salt shelf called 'Chicken Salt'. That's what these stores in Australia use.

For the more adventurous, you can try this recipe I found on the net:

McDonald's® Famous French Fries

Special Tools

Deep fryer
    French Fry Cutter (or patience for cutting potatoes)

Ingredients:

2 large Idaho russett potatoes
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 Tablespoons corn syrup
    1½-2 cups hot water
    6 cups Crisco® shortening
    1/4 cup beef lard (or save the fat from previously cooked burgers)
    salt

Preparing your french fries

Peel the potatoes. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup, and hot water. Make sure the sugar is dissolved. Using a french fry slicer, cut the peeled potatoes into shoestrings. The potatoes should be 1/4" x 1/4" in thickness, and about 4" to 6" long. (You can do this with a knife, but it is alot of work).

Place the shoestringed potatoes into the bowl of sugar-water, and refrigerate. Let them soak about 30 minutes.

While they're soaking, pack the shortening into the deep fryer. Crank up the temperature to "full". The shortening has to pre-heat for a very long time. It will eventually liquify. After it has liquified and is at least 375°, drain the potatoes and dump them into the fryer. (be careful, it will be ferocious)

After 1 to 1½ minutes, remove the potatoes and place them on a paper towel lined plate. Let them cool 8 to 10 minutes in the refrigerator.

While they're cooling, add the lard or beef drippings to the hot Crisco®. Again, crank the temperature to full. Stir in the lard as it melts into the oil. It will blend in.

After the deep fryer is reheated to 375°-400°, add the potatoes and deep fry again. This time for 5-7 minutes until golden brown. Remove and place in a large bowl.

Sprinkle generously with salt, then "toss" the fries to mix the salt evenly. ( I suggest about 1 teaspoon of salt, maybe slightly more)

Serve hot, serve immediately, and enjoy! Depending upon the size of the potatoes, this recipe make about 2 medium sized fries.
    omg..beef lard? r u sure macdonalds is using that for fries? aint those hindu n buhddist breaking the rulez whenever they eat those fries?

Quote Originally Posted by romeo
    They take orders for fries with no salt??
    yeap order that everytime..

Quote Originally Posted by kegler
    omg..beef lard? r u sure macdonalds is using that for fries? aint those hindu n buhddist breaking the rulez whenever they eat those fries?
    yes. last time they used beef lard, but now they are using vegetable oil. was working there when they switched

Quote Originally Posted by kegler
    im surprised that so little pple vote for KFC fries.... they rulez... cheeze fries rulez
    Very often, I find KFC fries don't have that 'crunch' when I bite them.

Yah.. the cheese and cream option is pretty good.

Looks like a lot of people like Mac Fries ... Hmmm..

What abt happy fish? Kuai-Le-Yu?

Deregistered

raimah's - with the black pepper sauce....

Quote Originally Posted by zha
    Very often, I find KFC fries don't have that 'crunch' when I bite them.

Yah.. the cheese and cream option is pretty good.
    i remember there was once KFC had this fries with extra crunch.... can't remember the name.... anyway...i dun like over-fried fries.... mac has the well balance fries.... long john silver abit too crunchie.... Mos burger fries also not bad.... quite fat.... but less quantity....hmm...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123