Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will you sell yr d700 if replacement is out and price is 4k.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Will you sell yr d700 if replacement is out and price is 4k.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    based on.... ?

8R is 8" x 10"
    this aspect ratio is 1.25:1, which isn't the typical DSLR aspect ratio.
    Therefore S8R (8" x 12") is probably more appropriate.
    At 300dpi, the required resolution is about 8.6 megapixels.

Just curious how you arrived at 10MP.
    And acceptable prints can be done with 150 dpi actually. And in a pinch, I have done 100 dpi before, and it still looked ok. ;P

When all else fails, there is always interpolation.

a super 8R is 8"x12", if it is 300ppi, that is 3600x2400, only 8.64MP is needed,

anyway, I have printed 24"x36" prints from my D700, that is equivalent to area of 9 pieces of Super 8R prints.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Hmmm.....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=29030803

is 20 square meters considered small?
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Yawn.... can all photographers in clubsnap that does large poster because help to reply to this msg ? lolx....
    I'm funny to think there are a lot of large poster requirements when I say it would be less than 10% of the photographers actually need it.
    Not to mention I daringly says less than 50% will print to hard copy more than 25% of their time.
    More and more just post in flickr, which I can say 12MP is like killing your upload speed more than your screen size.
    I bet the fella has a 20mx20m LCD monitor at home ?
    I think you mean 5mx4m LCD (or some other combination).
    20mx20m = 400 square metres, which will definitely require a higher resolution.

Viewing distance is another big factor. You can print really big unless the viewer is going to stand up close to pixel peep, from a normal viewing distance pics are still going to look incredibly great.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

D700 is good enough for me,and I am happy with 12mp,
    if the replacement comes out with 24mp,
    mostly won't buy it as I don't have so much space to store my photos =p

p.s.
    I used to own a Canon 60D,the higher MP really kills my HDD space......

It is sad to see that people appreciate pixel more than the picture itself nowadays. So much technical stuff that sometimes we forget who we are as a photographer.

I simply miss my film days, but that is just me I guess..

Quote Originally Posted by elisya
    It is sad to see that people appreciate pixel more than the picture itself nowadays. So much technical stuff that sometimes we forget who we are as a photographer.

Blame it on the Digital Age and the profit-driven companies.

Waiting for high-MP chaser ppl to "panic sell" their D700 when the D800 comes out. Need to buy additional D700 at attractive price for backup.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Going towards higher MP has a series of ripple effects, it is not just about going to bigger MP with more details.. The hidden cost to consumers are
    - Need bigger and faster CF/SD cards or FPS will suffer
    - Need bigger buffer for the cam or it will reach bottle neck really fast and FPS will suffer
    - Need faster computer for storage and editing

A 24MP cam writes about 30ish MB of RAW data into the card, so say you have a 100MB/S card (fastest CF card now) and base on theoretical calculations, you can write 3 RAW files per sec which only contributes to 3FPS after the buffer on the cam fills up. If you choose RAW + JPEG, that will be like 40-45MB of data writing, sure you can have two card slots RAW to one and JPEG to other but it gets expensive really fast as fast cards + big storage space = expensive.

FYI, SD 100MB/S 128GB card cost RP of USD1,500

Erm.. someone wants 40MP cam? With the fastest card now should be able to handle 1fps, you will be buying a very expensive slow ass camera.. Kinda reminds me of S3Pro/S5Pro during its time
    Last edited by rasdeep; 20th September 2011 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rasdeep
    Going towards higher MP has a series of ripple effects, it is not just about going to bigger MP with more details.. The hidden cost to consumers are
    - Need bigger and faster CF/SD cards or FPS will suffer
    - Need bigger buffer for the cam or it will reach bottle neck really fast and FPS will suffer
    - Need faster computer for storage and editing

A 24MP cam writes about 30ish MB of RAW data into the card, so say you have a 100MB/S card (fastest CF card now) and base on theoretical calculations, you can write 3 RAW files per sec which only contributes to 3FPS after the buffer on the cam fills up. If you choose RAW + JPEG, that will be like 40-45MB of data writing, sure you can have two card slots RAW to one and JPEG to other but it gets expensive really fast as fast cards + big storage space = expensive.

FYI, SD 100MB/S 128GB card cost RP of USD1,500

Erm.. someone wants 40MP cam? With the fastest card now should be able to handle 1fps, you will be buying a very expensive slow ass camera.. Kinda reminds me of S3Pro/S5Pro during its time
    Nope I want something like the 60MP thing offered by Hasselblad. 100MP would be good too. For what? Not sure.. I think cos the salesman say more megapixels better. :ignorant:

Hmmm.....unlikely to change as it's able to serve my needs very well currently......and, what if the new model is only minor changes/upgrades that doesn'treally affect much in the 'final-output' of IQ...than...what's the point...
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

After 3+ years, Nikon is still scratching their heads how to make us spend money on upgrade..

I have a good recommendation for you. Switch to Canon or ask them to replace the sensor with this. lolx
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/18/c...pace-at-60fps/

Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    I don't know? Maybe 40 megapixels...? Other than 8R, I also print alot of 4R so need more! As they say, more is more! Lol.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Waiting for high-MP chaser ppl to "panic sell" their D700 when the D800 comes out. Need to buy additional D700 at attractive price for backup.
    But you might end up poisoned by whatever new features the replacement cam has as well!
    Imagine if it has D3s-rivalling high-ISO capability?
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by elisya View Post

u're rite. most people mistook megapixels for picture quality (the bigger the better) which actually is not. kenrockwell mentioned he eventually needed jus 6mp to print (if i'm not wrong 20"x30" poster) while the rest of it goes to waste. The only factor i would wanna upgrade my DSLR is if it has got a faster sensor and better ISO control due to the fast moving happenings in weddings. In leisure... i still love films. it's more romantic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rasdeep View Post
    Kinda reminds me of S3Pro/S5Pro during its time
    Ha Ha...I still completely love both my S3 Pro bodies...Course I got them both from a friend used cheap.....So far they produce some of the best skin tones and have super D range... (for the money)... I may look seriously at a new FF nikon, but for now its still the old 5D with mostly nikon glass on it....A used D700 might be tempting or even a D3 used if the price is right.... "Cheap" is still king in my book!!!

Cheers

I still rather spend money on good lighting and good glass, any day, than camera bodies...To me, digital bodies have become like the film backs of the past.... Why spend so much money on something that will rarely improve the picture.
    Last edited by george671; 8th October 2011 at 01:14 PM.

The D700 is an excellent camera. I wont be selling it with or without the replacement. I am sure many here will instead be looking to get a second D700 used. I am thinking of getting another so as to maximise the use of prime lens & minimising lens change. Will only get the D800 if it has great video AND the ISO is so much better as to be irresistable
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 8th October 2011 at 01:51 PM.

I will sell my D700 if the D800 has

1) the D7000 sensor upsized to FX (likely)
    2) great video recording with stereo sound
    3) articulating LCD
    4) phase detect AF in live view

Quote Originally Posted by alantkh
    I will sell my D700 if the D800 has

1) the D7000 sensor upsized to FX (likely)
    2) great video recording with stereo sound
    3) articulating LCD
    4) phase detect AF in live view
    Dun you feel it's a great loss if the 4 or 5 buttons on the left of the screen were to be removed to give way to the articulated screen? And I dun think they want to make the same D5000 mistake again by articulating from the bottom...
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Dun you feel it's a great loss if the 4 or 5 buttons on the left of the screen were to be removed to give way to the articulated screen? And I dun think they want to make the same D5000 mistake again by articulating from the bottom...
    I will take the articulated screen anytime over 4 buttons PROVIDED they get phase detection AF or some form of CAF in live view. (like the sonys)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast