Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Post pictures to The Straits Times

  1. #1

    Default Post pictures to The Straits Times

    Hey guys,
    your chance to up your profile as a photographer

    The Straits Times wants your photos. The theme for the week is NEW BEGINNINGS. Click on the website for more details

    PHOTOLOG

  2. #2

    Default

    deadline was yesterday.....

  3. #3
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,496
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    #$(*&%)()@(##()@

    Take a look at the terms and conditions (especially #1):-

    Terms & Conditions
    1. In submitting your picture/s, you irrevocably agree to grant STI a perpetual, royalty-free, exclusive right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, make available to the public including sublicensing, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to their contributions. The Contributor also agrees that upon submission of his works, all terms and conditions contained here will apply without qualification whatsoever.
    2. Contributors will not be paid for their submissions.
    3. Strictly no spamming or off-topic material: The STI Photolog site does not allow multiple submission of the same or similar contributions. Spammers will be blocked by our web administrators. STI reserves the right to reject off-topic submissions in subject-specific areas.
    4. Views expressed in STI's Photolog site are those of contributors and are not necessarily those of STI. Contributors shall be responsible for their own views and photographic works and shall ensure that their submissions of their works including any captions are not defamatory, indecent or offensive in any nature.
    5. Further, contributors must submit only materials which they own the copyright thereto.
    6. Contributors shall indemnify and hold STI, its holding company Singapore Press Holdings Ltd, harmless against any claims, suits, actions, damages including without any limitation all costs and expenses incurred in the event of any claim or suit from any third party as a result of the publication of the contributors' works.
    7. If there is any conflict between these terms and specific terms appearing elsewhere on STI (including local house rules) then the latter shall prevail.

    And if you look at #6 - if there is any dispute arising from use of your picture, you are liable for damages.

    STI gets all the benefits, photographer gets all the risks. Incredible!!

  4. #4
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,496
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Addendum -- Further expounding on Item #1, specifically the term "exclusive right to use ..."

    which basically means that you as a photographer LOSE all rights to use YOUR OWN photo for other means.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,288

    Default

    In other words they want free photos....that's all. Imagine you bringing up a child from birth, taking care of it when it is sick and suddenly you give it away and you have no right to visit it anymore. This is a cheap gimmick.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    481

    Default

    They won't even credit you?

    Just check
    They will credit the photos.

    4. You must submit your real name and contact details to be credited for the picture. Your details will not be revealed to the general public or third parties.
    Last edited by hori; 18th October 2004 at 05:22 PM.

  7. #7

    Default

    I never expect Straits Times to do such a thing.......

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,136

    Default

    I never believe in giving away free photos.

  9. #9

    Default

    Its a lose/ lose situations for photogs. We take pics, give them, let them use FOC, plus get sued or get into legal cases whenever things go bad.

    Ha, maybe Straits Times is treating us like vegetables? This is bad.....very bad.....really cant believe they are doing this......sigh.......

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Ong
    Its a lose/ lose situations for photogs. We take pics, give them, let them use FOC, plus get sued or get into legal cases whenever things go bad.

    Ha, maybe Straits Times is treating us like vegetables? This is bad.....very bad.....really cant believe they are doing this......sigh.......
    exactly, once word to describe, but i won't spell it full. d*sp**able.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hori
    They won't even credit you?

    Just check
    They will credit the photos.

    4. You must submit your real name and contact details to be credited for the picture. Your details will not be revealed to the general public or third parties.
    Sometimes credit isn't enough. Unless u are really confident that ur shot is good & u will be talent-spotted coz if it, it is better to get some payment for it. The part about bearing all the risks makes it more not worthwhile.

  12. #12

    Default

    I just sent them an email, commenting on their unprofessionalism. I also give them some advise so as to make it more encouraging for photogs to submit their pictures.

  13. #13

    Lightbulb

    i think we can reasonably conclude that it is not ST alone, but the result of their editorial policy of media giant here. Not too long ago, remember that they ask for story leads, but will not pay for such leads, if it leads to publication.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Eastside Singapore
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Ong
    I just sent them an email, commenting on their unprofessionalism. I also give them some advise so as to make it more encouraging for photogs to submit their pictures.
    Way to go dude.

    Update us once they (if ever) reply yah?

  15. #15

    Default

    Its so CHEAPO of SPH stating such a term! Totally unprofessional and disgraceful being the BIGGEST News agency in Singapore! When will they ever wake up!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Its so CHEAPO of SPH stating such a term! Totally unprofessional and disgraceful being the BIGGEST News agency in Singapore! When will they ever wake up!
    Too bad though.

    Since they are the biggest, they prolly hold bragging rights, terms and conditions up to them to set. It's like a, "U Like U Give. Don't Like, Don't Give" thing.

    If I'm 5yrs younger, I might be more naive and really done it for free, giving up all my rights and credit to the photos. Not now baby... not now....

  17. #17

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Too bad though.

    Since they are the biggest, they prolly hold bragging rights, terms and conditions up to them to set. It's like a, "U Like U Give. Don't Like, Don't Give" thing.

    If I'm 5yrs younger, I might be more naive and really done it for free, giving up all my rights and credit to the photos. Not now baby... not now....
    not now.... not anymore?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    not now.... not anymore?
    U betcha....

    At least a name there, crediting me for the photos. Arial Font size 8, I oso happy. No way I'm doing FOC stuff... Even as an ameuter noob, I got my dignity.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daphz
    Hey guys,
    your chance to up your profile as a photographer

    The Straits Times wants your photos. The theme for the week is NEW BEGINNINGS. Click on the website for more details

    PHOTOLOG
    the link doesn't work anymore?

    anyway, read the COPY'n'PASTE version from Darren...
    i must admit that its not very pleasant.

    surely there are photographers in S.T who might have voiced some concerns with the terms and conditions? totally one sided and to the total benefit of S.T.

    Blahhhhh
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,612

    Default

    Typical thinking of big guys.....this is the second time this has happened here in Singapore......first time was that URA contest, after I sent an email to the organiser they changed the rules.....it all has got to do with the mentality here, you get a prize/money so we paid for the rights too and pics. All very business like! Time we photographers behave more business like..don't get bullied!

    HS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •