Thread: Sunrise @ the bay

Default Sunrise @ the bay

First time posting here. Hope to get more feedback. Here goes nothing...

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, exposure control, colour accuracy & post-processing.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    An attempt to shoot better during nature's daily lightshows.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Shot minutes after sun has cleared the horizon & moments before it peeked behind the clouds again.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like how the small clouds moved in front of the sun momentarily to catch the beautiful light from the sunrise. It's a pity the cheap Tianya filters I use do not allow stacking with another ND filter to further slow the shutter speed to smooth out the water for a better reflection of the beautiful light in the sky.

Default Re: Sunrise @ the bay

The sun sure looks nice. But it brings no compliment to the buildings around it. For example, if the buildings have glass elements and those are reflected by the sun, it will looks better. Now the buildings are so dull looking, yet not a silhouette, it makes them looks underexposed instead. The scenery composition is okay, but not wow.

I suggest try when the sky is blue when the sun is rising but not yet rise. If not wait for it to be higher and then stop down your exposure so that the builds are more well lit. Try a dark ND filter with a low ISO and small aperture like f/8, attempt to do a long exposure, the water will be clearer and the focus will shift towards the sun. (Use another ND filter)

How wide are you using now ? I feel u need it wider.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

This is quite an awesome picture! The feel and mood of the picture is there. However, @David kwok's suggestion of reflection will definitely make the photo va-va-voom. Nevertheless it's still an impressive picture! Kudos!
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post

First time posting here. Hope to get more feedback. Here goes nothing...

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, exposure control, colour accuracy & post-processing.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    An attempt to shoot better during nature's daily lightshows.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Shot minutes after sun has cleared the horizon & moments before it peeked behind the clouds again.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like how the small clouds moved in front of the sun momentarily to catch the beautiful light from the sunrise. It's a pity the cheap Tianya filters I use do not allow stacking with another ND filter to further slow the shutter speed to smooth out the water for a better reflection of the beautiful light in the sky.

Thanks for the feedback David!

For this scene it would not be possible to get significant reflections from the glass building facades as they're backlit. I'm not sure if the buildings would look better as silhouttes though so I tried to lift some details from the shadow regions without giving it a full-blown HDR treatment. I do try to process my pictures to as closely mimic the dynamic range of the human as possible.

As for taking the picture at an earlier time, I can understand the allure as I love the blue sky that such pictures yield as well. But in this shot I was trying to capture the magical moment when the clouds in the sky light up with the red light of the rising sun. I agree with the point of a stronger ND filter but unfortunately my cheap filters can't be stacked without giving off horrible colour cast, that's why I can't stop thinking abt upgrading to hitech/lee filters (but my wallet disagrees! ). As it is I'm already using a 3-stop GND coupled with multiexposure mode (1/25 x 9 exposures) to lengthen the exposure time.

I'm already using my 10-20 at 10mm.. I did think a doing pano but unfortunately I'm not sure my PP skills allow me to do a pano coupled with long exposures. Any gurus out there would like to teach me?

Its a decent shot but your reflection is really close to being brighter than its source. Knowing this place well, I can't help but to think that all the elements were abruptly cropped off in this photo. Perhaps there's too much happening in the photo. Its always a tough call taking the bay facing the morning sun. Sometimes, good light can be a disadvantage.

My first thought was that this shot is decent. I felt the buildings are too cramped to the left. In fact, to the two sides. The middle is quite empty. So what i thought was perhaps u could take a few shots horizontally and stitch. The light is good, but bcoz of that, your buildings seem dull. Too head on.
    I'm a PCW in newbie section. Hi. Welcome! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Its a decent shot but your reflection is really close to being brighter than its source. Knowing this place well, I can't help but to think that all the elements were abruptly cropped off in this photo. Perhaps there's too much happening in the photo. Its always a tough call taking the bay facing the morning sun. Sometimes, good light can be a disadvantage.
    Good point abt the reflection - could be that I overdid the burning & polarization of the sky. I also admit to being greedy sometimes trying to take everything in especially in a scene like Marina Bay. Will definitely take that into account next time I shoot. The great light was too tempting to not try capturing! cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by The Moving Chair View Post
    My first thought was that this shot is decent. I felt the buildings are too cramped to the left. In fact, to the two sides. The middle is quite empty. So what i thought was perhaps u could take a few shots horizontally and stitch. The light is good, but bcoz of that, your buildings seem dull. Too head on.
    Thanks for the feedback with regards to the pano. Any ideas how to make the buildings less dull looking when backlit?

Great photo! i love the colours of the dun rise, cause i always wanted to shoot this picture, but i cant pull myself out of bed =(
    Canon 60D | And Legs as Lens to cover every single focal length i ever needs.

Have you tried different stops and exposure? i know timing count, you could try testing it before waiting for the sun to rise.. for lens 10-20mm for best sharpness is around f/8 or f/9. I have one previously.. but sold off because I changed into a full frame.. its a good lens make full use of it. Maybe you want to read more and understand about your lens before heading to places to shoot? I was been told by my Master Melvin, always undertsand your lens, its advantages and disadvantages so that your pictures will look more standout.. hope this help!

just to add on a bit.
    composition, I find it ok.
    all the buildings, structures point towards the rising sun. This draw the eye or attention towards the sun.
    However, the spot where the sun is, is a white spot (blown).
    What you can do is try to shoot it slightly earlier when the sun just appear over the horizon when the intensity might be low enough to capture the sun without overexposed it.
    PS. and cross your fingers for just a bit of haze to help you out.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif