Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need a new tripod

Default Re: need a new tripod

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    mmm wooden tripod..

yea.. putting my existing in tripod in the sea wasn't a good idea. lol..

which model are you using?
    I'm not really sure actually.

Might be this: http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=det...prache=english

Quote Originally Posted by elavan View Post
    do take into consideration what focal length are you usually shooting at. at telephoto, generally aluminium may not be good, for it "rings". so you might want a carbon fiber (much lighter)or wood (heavy), but better in vibration dampening from the shutter/other minute sources of vibration. mirror lock-up and a remote will help too, but may be inconvenient at times.

if source of shake like wind / waves are strong, generally the heavier the tripod, the better (stable). you may find that a cheaper sturdy aluminium tripod can withstand wind or wave better than a featherweight carbon fiber. i was astonished to find my 1.7kg (head included) light aluminium tripod lifting off the sand in knee-deep waters in singapore

think about:

weight
    center-column / multi-position center-column
    no. of leg sections (i am lazy, so i prefer 3 sections (2 clips/twist-locks). take note sirui tripods are at least 4 sections (3 twist-locks)
    height (first assume center column down for your optimal working height)
    ego? (gitzo for u? )
    http://www.amazon.com/700DX-Professi...6341118&sr=8-1

This tripod has tons of positive reviews.Should i just get the legs from CP for $216 and get a head separately?

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    You can go down to TK and look at the tripods. They won't pester you when you check out the tripods, that's what I like about TK
    Guess I will do that. Don't like shops that "give you the look" if you ask a couple of questions and don't buy. Apart from price, anything to add about Sirui tripods?

Quote Originally Posted by elavan View Post
    do take into consideration what focal length are you usually shooting at. at telephoto, generally aluminium may not be good, for it "rings". so you might want a carbon fiber (much lighter)or wood (heavy), but better in vibration dampening from the shutter/other minute sources of vibration. mirror lock-up and a remote will help too, but may be inconvenient at times.

if source of shake like wind / waves are strong, generally the heavier the tripod, the better (stable). you may find that a cheaper sturdy aluminium tripod can withstand wind or wave better than a featherweight carbon fiber. i was astonished to find my 1.7kg (head included) light aluminium tripod lifting off the sand in knee-deep waters in singapore
    Nowadays, I think most folks will go for carbon fibre tripods. Although I prefer heavier tripod for stability, I don't want to get tired for juz carrying the tripod alone. Not sure if weights can help stable a carbon fibre tripod. Find those with a hook at the bottom of the centre column pole.

I would avoid those clip-lock or knob-lock at the legs. Broke them long time ago when I dropped the tripod.
    Last edited by A.T.; 26th September 2011 at 02:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12