Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: need a new tripod

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    681

    Smile need a new tripod

    Hi there guys,my cheapo sub $50 tripod died on me during my bali trip and now i finally will get a decent proper tripod.I need some advice or recommendations.I use a 550D sometimes for photography and mainly for my product unboxings and personal video blogs.So what can do you guys have in mind.Thank you and please give me the price if you know so i can budget.

  2. #2

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    Hmm usually the case is the TS give us a budget and we give the recommendation and not the other way round. How much are you willing to spend?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Hmm usually the case is the TS give us a budget and we give the recommendation and not the other way round. How much are you willing to spend?
    $250ish will be my budget

  4. #4

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Duinchlfc View Post
    $250ish will be my budget
    Then you are well within the 100 other "recommend me a tripod" threads in terms of budget. Have you done a search and read up already?
    Alpha

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duinchlfc

    $250ish will be my budget
    For that budget maybe you can look at Sirui tripods. Just head down to TK to have a look. Recent reviews for Giottos tripods are pretty good too

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Then you are well within the 100 other "recommend me a tripod" threads in terms of budget. Have you done a search and read up already?
    I have done some read up but the sheer amount of different types of tripods and heads are confusing me,thats why i came here for advice.

  7. #7
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Duinchlfc View Post
    $250ish will be my budget
    Suggest you look at Sirui.

    What are you confused about?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Suggest you look at Sirui.

    What are you confused about?
    Well the different types of tripods,materials,head types,weight limits etc...is there a good write up i can read up on?

  9. #9
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Duinchlfc View Post
    Well the different types of tripods,materials,head types,weight limits etc...is there a good write up i can read up on?
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...nd-tripod-head

  10. #10

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Suggest you look at Sirui.

    What are you confused about?
    ahh.. you use sirui?

    seems like alot of people i getting it.

    that good eh?

  11. #11
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    ahh.. you use sirui?

    seems like alot of people i getting it.

    that good eh?
    I use a Berlebach for the sea, Sirui for other things. Not bad la, for the $.

  12. #12

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    This is a very famous article on the topic. He talks about the famous brands, so you may want to avoid that and consider the cheaper China-made Sirui/Fotopod/Benro's instead. But it's a fantastic introduction into materials, head types, weight limits, and so on.

    http://bythom.com/support.htm

  13. #13
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Duinchlfc View Post
    Hi there guys,my cheapo sub $50 tripod died on me during my bali trip and now i finally will get a decent proper tripod.I need some advice or recommendations.I use a 550D sometimes for photography and mainly for my product unboxings and personal video blogs.So what can do you guys have in mind.Thank you and please give me the price if you know so i can budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duinchlfc View Post
    $250ish will be my budget
    Try ARTWORKFOTO

    http://fotopro.sg/c5_series.html
    Take the shot!

  14. #14
    Senior Member GENO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Teddy Bear Land
    Posts
    2,981

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    velbon...use 3 cameras on it still does well
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil:

  15. #15

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I use a Berlebach for the sea, Sirui for other things. Not bad la, for the $.
    mmm wooden tripod..

    yea.. putting my existing in tripod in the sea wasn't a good idea. lol..

    which model are you using?

  16. #16

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    Where can I find the pricelist of Sirui tripods? Can't find in TK Photo FB page.

  17. #17
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A.T.
    Where can I find the pricelist of Sirui tripods? Can't find in TK Photo FB page.
    They have a website too... But I think they removed their price list recently.. Not sure if they've put it up again.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  18. #18

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    They have a website too... But I think they removed their price list recently.. Not sure if they've put it up again.
    Search there too. Can't find. Wish that all merchants put up price list on their websites.

  19. #19

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    Search there too. Can't find. Wish that all merchants put up price list on their websites.
    You can go down to TK and look at the tripods. They won't pester you when you check out the tripods, that's what I like about TK

  20. #20

    Default Re: need a new tripod

    do take into consideration what focal length are you usually shooting at. at telephoto, generally aluminium may not be good, for it "rings". so you might want a carbon fiber (much lighter)or wood (heavy), but better in vibration dampening from the shutter/other minute sources of vibration. mirror lock-up and a remote will help too, but may be inconvenient at times.

    if source of shake like wind / waves are strong, generally the heavier the tripod, the better (stable). you may find that a cheaper sturdy aluminium tripod can withstand wind or wave better than a featherweight carbon fiber. i was astonished to find my 1.7kg (head included) light aluminium tripod lifting off the sand in knee-deep waters in singapore

    think about:

    weight
    center-column / multi-position center-column
    no. of leg sections (i am lazy, so i prefer 3 sections (2 clips/twist-locks). take note sirui tripods are at least 4 sections (3 twist-locks)
    height (first assume center column down for your optimal working height)
    ego? (gitzo for u? )
    Last edited by elavan; 25th September 2011 at 11:21 PM.
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •