Thread: Questions from a newbie

Default Questions from a newbie

Hey guys,

Just wondering, has anyone of you been scolded or been told off by others when you lifted up your camera to take snaps in public?

Before I got my D70, I have no qualms on just taking out my simple P&S camera in public and snap away... but eversince I got the DSLR, it seems as if everyone is turning away in horror or trying to hide....

Some would even give me dirty looks best reserved for child molesters and drug addicts... Thats even if I'm not shooting them... all it takes is for me to point my lens in their general direction...

This has made me very concious and afraid to take photos in public... an its stressing me out quite a bit...

Has anyone faced these problems before?

Default offended people

Hi, sometimes......I noticed it is mostly chinese who don't like to be photographed.....don't know why. Especially older people....some even think their souls (if there is such thing) got taken away with the pic....usually, malay and indian people don't mind or are even happy to be photographed and even ask their friends to join in :-)

I usually ask the people if I can take pics, if they say no, then I respect it lah! In Cambodia people also like it very much to be photographed......

Hong Sien

good also not to use a camera with a BIG lens....use a small lens...

HS

Well... its not just the chinese, I find that everyone behaves like that... maybe its due to how I look? People have said that I look like the kind who is up to no good! lolz... and I think the profilation of websites like sggirls.com, etc are also to partly to blame too...

Can't help much with the lens issue... am using the lens kit that came with my D70... Was thinking of getting the 80-200mm, but I shudder at the thought of people running even further away!
    Last edited by AngKuGuay; 18th October 2004 at 09:11 PM.

shrug it off and go shoot again. repeat indefinitely.

after a while,u will get used to all the stares and snares u get..

just dun take those unflattering poses of pp la..

Sometimes, with people I know, I try to take a photograph, and then they say "stop taking pictures of me" when I'm not taking pictures of them... They are just in the way and think that everything is about them!

So far, I face no prob in that. Btw, I am using only a rangefinder and a compact camera.

My opinion, having a camera does not automatically give u the rights to shoot anything or anyone. If your target does not like u shoot at them, just smile and move away.

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    Sometimes, with people I know, I try to take a photograph, and then they say "stop taking pictures of me" when I'm not taking pictures of them... They are just in the way and think that everything is about them!

Yup yup... agree totally! Thats what I meant! And if friends have such violent objections being snapped by another friend, what more can I ask of the public? And most of the time, I dun take shots of strangers... what I'm into are street scenes and unusual stuff from funny angles...

Even that I get stared at... was taking a shot of a flyer pasted on a lamppost when a small child was walking past with his mum... the mum quickly grabbed her child and tried to shield her from me! I was not even pointing the camera at the little girl!

Maybe the 'auntie' thinks that only weirdos and queers take photos of lamp posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    My opinion, having a camera does not automatically give u the rights to shoot anything or anyone. If your target does not like u shoot at them, just smile and move away.
    I agree with you partially on this point. But I do have the rights to be taking photos in public also right? So long as I'm not taking shots of people, there is no invasion of their privacy and I can do any damn thing I want?

hahaha... the more I think about it, the more I'm lead to believe that the problem lies with me. I'm afraid of people's stares... right?