Thread: Just a thought

Default Just a thought

Hi guys. Im currently using D7000 and I like my camera. Ever since I bought it, I have been reading stuff about photography. I have been noticing that Sony is producing pretty good camera at lesser price. As compare to nikon Which also uses the same sensor.

I know Sony glass may not be that good as compared to canon's and nikon's. Seeing nex-7 preproduction model reviews on the Internet with the ok kit lens. The image it produce is actually good as what the reviewer said. Makes me thinking will one day Sony produce a Sensor so good that even a normal lens could also produce good images. I think Sony filed for a foveon sensor patent recently.

Currently canon's sensor can't even surpass nikon's one. And nikon can't even produce their own sensor. What will the future be for canikon in 5 years time? Am thinking of getting a 50mm for my D7000. But at the same time worry about the future of the company's product that I invest in.

Default Re: Just a thought

Seriously I think you might wanna worry about your skills and purchasing power over the security of your investment. Reasons being the following:
    As much as "no man is an island", it is much more true for any companies. A lot of companies don't manufacture their own components but they still sell good and have good prospect. One good example is Apple Inc. Their iPad sells so good but yet their main LCD component comes from Samsung. The novelty of a product is not just a single component. The selling point of a product is often not just the most important component. If the interface sucks, it doesn't matter if they have the best sensors. If the marketing sucks, the product fails too. Besides, I must say nowadays electronics products are not as durable as they analogue counterparts decades ago. The rate of new models coming out is so much faster nowadays to keep up with consumers ever demand for more and better products. What you own now may very well obsolete in 5 years time, and then you may have sufficient purchasing power to procure better products or higher model. So like I mentioned earlier, it's one of your least concern when you come to ownership of electronic products.
    WRT to Canon and Nikon, they are long standing branding since the early age of photography. So I don't see them going away in the next 20 years unless their management f-up in the marketing. Sony being an aggressive competitor takes another route if you notice. They are not exactly direct competitor with Nikon and Canon if you take a look the features of the product. No doubt EVF are getting better by the days, there are still demand from the kind of quality you can get from your optical viewfinder. At the moment, I see optical viewfinder are still superior in my opinion. I enjoy looking thru the optical viewfinder where I can compose more accurately and at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Fezqu View Post
    Hi guys. Im currently using D7000 and I like my camera. Ever since I bought it, I have been reading stuff about photography. I have been noticing that Sony is producing pretty good camera at lesser price. As compare to nikon Which also uses the same sensor.

I know Sony glass may not be that good as compared to canon's and nikon's. Seeing nex-7 preproduction model reviews on the Internet with the ok kit lens. The image it produce is actually good as what the reviewer said. Makes me thinking will one day Sony produce a Sensor so good that even a normal lens could also produce good images. I think Sony filed for a foveon sensor patent recently.

Currently canon's sensor can't even surpass nikon's one. And nikon can't even produce their own sensor. What will the future be for canikon in 5 years time? Am thinking of getting a 50mm for my D7000. But at the same time worry about the future of the company's product that I invest in.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

I know Sony glass may not be that good as compared to canon's and nikon's.
    Ever tried the Sony Carl Zeiss 24-70 and 135mm f/1.8? I know a lot of Canon and Nikon photogs who bought and A900 just to use those lenses.

Not to mention the 18-55 (one of the best kit lenses) and the 70-400, and the 70-300 G that came out way before Canon had their L equivalent...

I think you need to actually learn more about a system before you try to say "the glass is not so good" especially when a lot of people are using Sony *because* of their glass.
    Alpha

Blog Entries

TS, there are no definite wins here.

Sony's A77 is going to kick some serious butt with it finally arrives, then Canon 5Dm3 will kick more butt, then Nikon D800, will kick even more butt, then Sony will .... the cycle begins again...

Each company will release better cameras once in a while. It is this constant overtaking, falling back, overtaking again, that sells a lot of cameras and upgrades to the current user base. These companies are a lot smarter than you give them credit for.

And every company have their star lenses. There is no absolute dominance by any one manufacturer. If any one manufacturer is lagging totally in all areas (performance, lenses, pricing... all of them), they would have already gone out of business.

The more important thing for you is to identify which system suits your needs more. Not which one is the "BEST".
    Last edited by daredevil123; 16th September 2011 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fezqu

Are you worried canon or nikon may one day close down or something?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Hi thanks for all the inputs. Yup I agree I have to worry more about my skills than my equipment. Anyway it's just a thought. Don't take it too seriously

Bored at work.

And nikon can't even produce their own sensor.
    They did for the D3/D700.

I see a lot of misconceptions and poor research in your argument.
    Alpha

Chill people, it's just a thought

But to point out, it's just $300 for a 50mm. No need to worry about future investments unless you're getting the "one-of-everything"

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

There is no absolute dominance by any one manufacturer.
    Out of boredom, may I quote an example?

Between Apple and every other phone companies out there.
    Hsteric Motion media ;a memorable experience.

Quote Originally Posted by saveDqueen

Your point being? It's not an absolute dominance for apple either.

Bored nvm, dun create troll. Later all the fan boy come out. lol
    Sony α
    My Flickr | Facebook

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saveDqueen View Post

So you mean that apple iphones are better at every single thing compared every other phones out there? LOL

I wonder why so many people are starting to switch from iphones to android. You better think again.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th September 2011 at 07:02 AM.

I think someone in this forum said something like this,"you can't go wrong choosing any of the current dslr" there will definitely be a few which will give you the best bang for your money. However, these will be superseded by new releases. So, how or which one to choose? You can read one of the guide in newbie/article subforum or google for guide. Other than cost, your final decision may probably based on your personal preferences.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

than you need to see what is your purpose to own a camera?
    to create images for yourself? or
    owning a best camera system in the world?

if it is the first one, you will realize the camera is just a tool,

if it is the second one, each brand has it own strange and weakness, you want the best than you have to collect all of them, than you need to replace your existing cameras whenever there is a newer model release.

hope this help
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Fezqu
    What will the future be for canikon in 5 years time? Am thinking of getting a 50mm for my D7000. But at the same time worry about the future of the company's product that I invest in.
    Who knows what the future may bring. In less than 5 years one may sway sway kena cancer and die. Who knows? Live and enjoy the moment... The moment it's clicks...