Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photography Ethics - The Other Side of the Coin

whoelse : Good points there ! I did help one of my friends who was volunterring for Cats Welfare and was quite sad to see alot of animals being ill-treated and left to fend on their own.

Public education is very important. When you have a pet , its for LIFE !

I've seen alot people who treat pet owners like dirt (as if we are carrying some sort of diseases !) and walk away when we walk our dogs.

Being a pet owner myself, both fishes and dogs, responsibility is on your shoulder. Else you wouldn't have been in the right mind right then and there when you make the decision to have a pet right ?

I would encourage all to capture any cruelty towards animals and hand them over the right people.

If you see cruelty being done to an animal, stop that person. And ask him would he do that to his own children ?

Life is already painful when a living being comes down to earth, why not make the journey towards the end of the tunnel a bit more joyful ?

Treat animals like one of us, ain't we all humans derived from the same animal ?

Life sucks isn't it ?
    http://www.avianwatchasia.org for some real bird photos
    My website : http://www.gorgeousfeathers.com

The law shd enforce canning on these ppl...

Blog Entries

Its good to see many nature lovers here in CS. Well done together we can make the difference

Harlequin, I notice you have twice posted this remarks in the end of your posts in my thread. Looks like you sure have a problem with life. Well Life is Great if you take charge of it yourself, chart your own direction and course. Afterall it is your own life nobody owes you anything, so why let other force it upon you. Or maybe you are in a denial stage and start to blame others. Perhaps you should call SOS the number is 1800-2214444. or visit this http://www.samaritans.org.sg/need_1.asp?menu=1

Hope it helps Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin
    Life sucks isn't it ?

Alot of people still think they have the right to do whatever they like.
    Sometimes its like majority wins and the only trying to get their attention don't get his message across. hint hint.....:-(
    Well life sucks isn't it ?
    whether life sucks anot, it's totally up to you.. nature is already so precious where a second chance is hard to come by or even not at all... no such thing as "majority wins", just put your foot down and make your stand.. *speaking from experience* of cos, one must be level-headed and firm before informing the public on the consequences.. otherwise people will treat you as someone who's ranting and "all talk no action"

Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01
    Its good to see many nature lovers here in CS. Well done together we can make the difference

Harlequin, I notice you have twice posted this remarks in the end of your posts in my thread. Looks like you sure have a problem with life. Well Life is Great if you take charge of it yourself, chart your own direction and course. Afterall it is your own life nobody owes you anything, so why let other force it upon you. Or maybe you are in a denial stage and start to blame others. Perhaps you should call SOS the number is 1800-2214444. or visit this http://www.samaritans.org.sg/need_1.asp?menu=1

Hope it helps Cheers

Hello PE,

I have no problem with life at this moment. And I do not need SOS or whatever.

What I mean by that comment is that sometimes, animalís life are at the mercy of human. That's beyond our control.

If you feel offended by that comment, Iím more than happy to remove it and will not comment any further.

Iíll still do my bit for welfare of animals and make my regular trip to SPCA and donate food to the need animals.

Regards,
    A friend.

After reading the thread, I feel very upset to know how these people treated their subject... and also feel very paiseh coz I'm a smoker. But now, whenever I feel a need to take a puff, I will just walk away to a distance and hide at one corner to do my 'business' and throw the left behind in the nearest rubbish bin or into my mobile ashtray...got it from one of those one dollar shop.

Cheers
    Last edited by Newguy69; 12th October 2004 at 07:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Hello PE,

I have no problem with life at this moment. And I do not need SOS or whatever.

What I mean by that comment is that sometimes, animalís life are at the mercy of human. That's beyond our control.

If you feel offended by that comment, Iím more than happy to remove it and will not comment any further.

Iíll still do my bit for welfare of animals and make my regular trip to SPCA and donate food to the need animals.

Regards,
    A friend.
    I am not offended its just that I am trying to help and you looks like you have problems, from your various replies in also many other threads and your new signature. I was a trained para counsellor and those remarks are indicators that alerted me, that's all. If you are fine, then good, take care.

I am not offended its just that I am trying to help and you looks like you have problems, from your various replies in also many other threads and your new signature. I was a trained para counsellor and those remarks are indicators that alerted me, that's all. If you are fine, then good, take care.
    Interesting point there.
    The new signature was a line i picked up somewhere and was aim to help people work effectively in the corporate world. Maybe in Singapore context it means different things to people.
    Over to you mate.

The new signature was a line i picked up somewhere and was aim to help people work effectively in the corporate world. Maybe in Singapore context it means different things to people.
    Over to you mate.
    OT: erm.. if the line was aimed at helping people work effectively, it should NOT have words with bad connotations such as "sucks" or "indecisiveness". gee.. basic corporate motivational rule broken...

Blog Entries

Interesting point there.
    Over to you mate.
    Sometimes there are positive quotes and negative quotes, unfortunately this is one negative quote that many establish corporation would not take a second look. Afterall Change Management expound the concept of taking charge and riding the waves of adversity and uncertainty to transform rather than moaning about it. Management is not about forcing and following the majority but the ability to inspire and rally workers to a common cause and vision.

BTW I would prefer not to OT in my thread and keep to the subject that was meant to.

the ability to inspire and rally workers to a common cause and vision.
    I think while we may express disapproval at the couple's unusual behavior, we should also attempt to inspire them to the correct path. There's always the yellow ribbon lying around somewhere.

It's always easy to condemn. Looking a little deeper, perhaps they were deprived of their childhood.

Hmm... from some of my past expirence from shoots with my nature loving friends I think what happened that day is not uncommon. I had once met 2 'uncles' shooting a big and hairy caterpillar once, just outside the gates of MOG.

They were friendly, invited us to shoot as well. They were spraying water onto the creature, which I thought was still ok. Then right before we parted ways one of they tookout a plastic container to 'Tah-Paw' !!!

And he was telling me he used to 'Specialize' in butterflies!!! For people like them, the best nature subjucts are those ' NOT MOVING'

What's the thing with smoking anyway? Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints? Well, at least I do try to 'Tah-Paw' back my butts. ( The ones I suck on, not the ones I shoot at!!! )

Upping this for the information of all nature lovers in CS.

Let's hope the couple realize by now that their act is not tolerable by local nature photography communities.

The joy of nature photgraphy is about depicting life in their most natural ways. For that to happen, welfare of the subjects must come first.

It's still not to late to change. Learn the right thing by joining outings or classes organised by macro experts in local nature photography communities.

Aiyah, guys, take it in a positive way. Life is impossible without death. I just watched a docu on discovery ch where a grey heron was makaning young caymen crocs. Its mama was nearby but didn't whack the heck out of the heron. Why? This is natural selection, the weak ones get singled out and the strong ones survive.

So for this case, it highlights to all of us here through good old internet/forums to treat nature with respect. I am sure someone learnt something good from this story even though the damsel died. There may be more damsels living to tell the tale?

Stuff like staged shots may educate as well as motivate in an indirect way too, though it has another motive.

Solly, today a bit philosphical.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Sigh...

I was at JBP 2 weeks back, there was an aviary where prakeets and some other birds would fly free and there's sale of syrup water(?) and food for them.

A mom was feeding one of the prakeets happily after a while it got boring and she wanted to leave, she happily poured the syrup water over the prakeet and laughed heartily with her little VERY young aged daughter that she (the mom) drenched .
    Well I was at chek jawa with my Sony F717 and I photographed
    a man telling his two kids to STOMP on all the sea anemones
    they could find.. There were obviously from the caves of the
    city never go out before.. The kids destroyed so many anemones
    but the people from the society said that it is better for
    more people to enjoy Chek Jawa and for a few to destroy many then
    to report them.

So anyway I can tell you that there are so many people that
    would do worst things,

I know of large dogs in small cages they could hardly move to guard
    a 'ah beng' house on the river , took some photos of them
    after pretending to agree with him.. that was at the
    firefly watching company in kota tinggi (johore) the boatman
    would kill everything around him saying that the creatures
    scare away 'girl' customers who would scream if they say ANYTHING
    else other than fireflies.

you can go visit my web at:

http://nature.singaporerc.com/

and the place is well documented.

I tried to contact the Johore SPCA but their organization
    is in a complete shambles.

Allan

Allan, it looks like Chek Jawa has been raped thoroughly.

I am sure there are lots and lots of wild/ocean life along the coastlines of Malaysia and neighbouring Indonesia's Riau Islands. You know my mum-in-law could have just picked stuff like si-hum and si-put from the coast (just 10 metres away) if she wanted to, but the local Malays do that for a low price. And it's really fresh tasting (at most earthy taste), none of the lousy longkang smell we have here. That's the problem with SG, too built-up, not much nature. People see nature...cheong ah!

I just want to share this with members here.

Nature phtotgraphy is not about just getting the picture. The cardinal rule or ethics in which a nature photographer strongly believe and abide is - "The welfare of the subject always comes first, subjecting the subject to harrassment and torture to get the shot is certainly unethical and shameless.

This was what happened at SBG,

http://www.naturephotosociety.org.sg...umID2/410.html
    me can't stand such shameless plugs
    thx 4 sharin e info

Maybe we should link this thread to macro and close-up section too to help spread the message since they are also more or less related to nature?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast