Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do i need to get a flash?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do i need to get a flash?

Quote Originally Posted by babytweety View Post
    Hi, currently saving up to buy a good lens for most indoor shoot. Meanwhile, I have been reading here and there and was thinking, should I buy a flash. The in-camera flash is too bright! I have Sb700 in mind. Fyi, I sometime take photos of my kids at home.
    if ur asking... ur probably not sure, and that probably means ur not ready for a flash yet.

u mentioned incamera flash too bright as a reason... but if i'm not mistaken u can actually compensate the in camera flash with ur camera. or u can stuff something infront of the flash to weaken power. and if u also understand ETTL, it might also be a factor with overpowered flash.

then there is iso etc etc coming into play.

may i suggest that u just play with ur incamera flash and understand how it works, then consider an external flash?
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 17th September 2011 at 09:06 AM.

@llenleonhart: txs. I have just playing around with the on-camera during the weekends. Nw I do somehow learn and understand abt the flash power set up. I'm reading and watching youtube videos for more info.
    Txs guys for your reply and infos.

@llenleonhart: txs. I have just playing around with the on-camera during the weekends. Nw I do somehow learn and understand abt the flash power set up. I'm reading and watching youtube videos for more info.
    my guess is you are either set P or A mode on your camera whenever you use the flash, so you get a "deer caught in car head light" or "taking flash photo in a dark cave" effect, you need to learn how to balance the ambient light with flash, and use bounce light when it is possible.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

That's a good start!

Really Flash Photography is a huge topic. People have written entire books about this alone.
    A lot of practice required as well.
    Exploring! :)

Cameras mostly take all pictures as grey. Whether it is totally black / grey / white object. It still takes it as grey. With flash or without flash.
    The reason some pics are too overexposed at night is because the person is standing in front of a dark area. The camera is trying to make everything grey so fire more flash thus overexposing the person in front. Use the flash Exposure flash or camera exposure value ( EV ) to compensate. Try one at -2 EV and then another at +2EV and see the difference. All these are guidelines. It is up to you what you deem a correct exposure is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12