Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Cleaning Lens

  1. #1

    Default Cleaning Lens

    cleaning lens is a very fustrating task for me. b'cos sometimes, u just can't get some dust particles off ur lens/filter using a blower. what do u guys do in such a case?

    just bought a microfiber cloth ($5). tot it's not suppose to leave particles but then still left particles on the lens. any good cloth to recommend?

    currently i am using those sell in one pack cleaning solution. issit not good to use cleaning solution often to clean the lens?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,324

    Default Suck or blow?

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmymy
    cleaning lens is a very fustrating task for me. b'cos sometimes, u just can't get some dust particles off ur lens/filter using a blower. what do u guys do in such a case?

    just bought a microfiber cloth ($5). tot it's not suppose to leave particles but then still left particles on the lens. any good cloth to recommend?

    currently i am using those sell in one pack cleaning solution. issit not good to use cleaning solution often to clean the lens?
    Same here. The blower doesn't do good job. Thought of sucking instead! Suck is better than blow. So far didn't hear anyone suck le! Is there such thing as sucker?

    Got advised before, never use lotion while cleaning. It will affect the skin and coating.... Is it true?
    For fingerprint, I use lens tissue. Is it ok too?
    Hate maintenance! Dust, dust, dust. DSLR is even worst!
    Last edited by LifeWorld; 17th October 2004 at 03:57 PM.

  3. #3

    Default

    I will usually use a blower. If it does not work, I will use the bursh.

    I have a lenspen, and one tip is the brush, and the other is a material to clean lens. Just "hahhhhh" on your lens (u know form the vapour on the glass?) and use the lens pen to clean it......anyway, been doing that since SLR days.....hope this is helpful.

    You can see my lens pen in my 'kit' pic....


    The pen looking thing on the bottom left?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    strawberry field
    Posts
    294

    Default

    i use a lens pen too...easy to bring out...and the brush works better than the blower

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Guilin
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    How about trying those battery operated vacuum cleaner for PC keyboard. It sucks.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dotti
    i use a lens pen too...easy to bring out...and the brush works better than the blower
    okie. will go & buy a lens pen to try. since buying fz20, been spending so much on it. almost broke liao.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmymy
    okie. will go & buy a lens pen to try. since buying fz20, been spending so much on it. almost broke liao.
    Me too. Will minimise or buy cheaper accessories. It's buy and buy. Still got dry cabinet!

  8. #8

    Default

    use compress air blow or some call it dust blower works well

  9. #9

    Default

    To clean lens, it is important to use lint-free cloth or tissue. Other than lint-free, it should ideally also be free of sand or any particles. The problem with re-usable lint-free cloth is that you are never quite sure if there are sandy particles attached to it (that is transfered from whatever cloth-holder you use). So should try to use disposable.

    Why don't you try PEC Pads and Eclipse Fluid? They are available in CP. This is what people use to clean their CCD:
    http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/32569476

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbocrab
    To clean lens, it is important to use lint-free cloth or tissue. Other than lint-free, it should ideally also be free of sand or any particles. The problem with re-usable lint-free cloth is that you are never quite sure if there are sandy particles attached to it (that is transfered from whatever cloth-holder you use). So should try to use disposable.

    Why don't you try PEC Pads and Eclipse Fluid? They are available in CP. This is what people use to clean their CCD:
    http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/32569476
    Thanks for your tips. It's getting tougher now. So many things to note.
    Btw, do we have to clean CCD? Thought only DSLR needs to clean. Getting quite scary!

  11. #11

    Default

    Yes, only DSLR needs CCD cleaning. For non-DSLR, everything is sealed so hopefully no dust can get in. Anyway, even if dust gets in, everything is sealed so cannot even get the cleaning done by yourself - only way is to send in for servicing.

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeWorld
    Me too. Will minimise or buy cheaper accessories. It's buy and buy. Still got dry cabinet!

    Dunno if it's advisable... I wanted to get a dry cabinet too. But ended up buying a bottle of silicon($5) and an airtight container($10). Someone ever told me that the camera shouldn't be TOO dry. But heck, no money... Buy what I can afford.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happytikus
    Dunno if it's advisable... I wanted to get a dry cabinet too. But ended up buying a bottle of silicon($5) and an airtight container($10). Someone ever told me that the camera shouldn't be TOO dry. But heck, no money... Buy what I can afford.
    You should buy a dry cabinet to protect your investment. I have been using it for about 3 yrs from now. You can get a small one which cost less than 100.
    The cabinet comes with adjustable dehumifier and reading as well. Therefore, shouldnt afraid of too dry.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donkuok
    You should buy a dry cabinet to protect your investment. I have been using it for about 3 yrs from now. You can get a small one which cost less than 100.
    The cabinet comes with adjustable dehumifier and reading as well. Therefore, shouldnt afraid of too dry.
    Sigh... More money going out... But yeah, should protect this investment. Thanks for the advise! Cheers!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Third rock from the Sun
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happytikus
    Sigh... More money going out... But yeah, should protect this investment. Thanks for the advise! Cheers!
    Hope this info about dry cabinets is useful to you. So far the cheapest I can find.

    Dry cabinet (20L) = $79
    (30L) = $99
    Where to buy = Carrafour (B2), Plaza Singapore

    Happy shopping...

    Cheers

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,783
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    For me, after using lens tissue wetted with cleaning lotion, I use micro fibre cloth, and then my 1400w household vacuum cleaner to remove dust particles. My lenses are spick and span. Works every time.

    Why can't SLR users try using a power vacuum to suck dust off their CCDs. They can use it in combination with a brush. Don't see why this shouldn't work?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    902

    Default

    I did the same thing, using the vacuum cleaner. very effective man
    Canon EOS 70D + 40D

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,783
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donkuok
    I did the same thing, using the vacuum cleaner. very effective man
    Maybe they also use vacuum cleaners to clean dslr's and charge $80 for it.

  20. #20

    Default

    How do you use your vacuum cleaner on it?
    Show me how!!!

    I'm scared that it sucks up my lens, and sucks the insides out, and also breaks the glass when it sucks pulls the lens towards it and smashes against the vacuum cleaner, or I scratch the lens when I start rubbing the vacuum cleaner head on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •