Thread: Colour Calibrator: Spyder3 Elite or i1Display Pro

Default Colour Calibrator: Spyder3 Elite or i1Display Pro

Hi, I am considering to buy one of these calibrator. Mainly for home personal, non professional work and on multiple monitors and machines.

i1Display Pro is a recent new release. Spyder3 Elite is an old release (2007) with new software.

Can afford both, so price is not the factor here (unless discussion brings in a higher priced calibrator).

Would be purchasing it from overseas, not sure if there is any potential issue from doing so.

Please advise

TIA

Blog Entries

Default Re: Colour Calibrator: Spyder3 Elite or i1Display Pro

For your needs, The spyder3 pro may be sufficient. No need to spend extra on features you may not need.

i1display is significantly more expensive than Spyder3. But is that that much better? I cannot answer that question, that is why I went for Spyder3. There is also another calibrator from X-rite called ColorMunki that is also worth a look. ColorMunki is around the same price range as Spyder3

Get the cheaper one, the expensive one just change the colour to another slightly different hue that you likely cannot notice and also isn't more accurate than the cheap one when your baseline of colours is not even known in the first place. Simply to say, "How do you know that the expensive calibrated colours are more accurate than the cheap calibrated colours?"

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    For your needs, The spyder3 pro may be sufficient. No need to spend extra on features you may not need.

i1display is significantly more expensive than Spyder3. But is that that much better? I cannot answer that question, that is why I went for Spyder3. There is also another calibrator from X-rite called ColorMunki that is also worth a look. ColorMunki is around the same price range as Spyder3
    Last edited by David Kwok; 17th September 2011 at 01:05 AM.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Thanks guys. I can get i1display pro cheaper than what Cathay Photo is selling the Spyder3 Elite for, and the Spyder3 Elite at significantly cheaper price than Cathay Photo.

Will look into the Spyder3 Pro again as I read somewhere that the i1display have colour filters that degrade over time.