Thread: Any good palmtops that accepts CF/MD for expansion?

Default Any good palmtops that accepts CF/MD for expansion?

I am new to handheld gadgets. Planing to buy a MP3 player, after looking at prices of new MP3 players, I might consider getting handhelds that accepts IBM microdrive as expansion slots since I have already owned them.
    Any palmtop models to reccomeend from ppl here?
    Consideration:
    Must be able to playback MP3
    Must of jack for me to use my seinheisser earphone as well

THANKS!!

Quite a few models of PPC I can think of. However, the battery life will be a serious problem as MD is known to drain power like nobody business. As such, what some memebrs have done are to transfer the data to another storage card (mostly SD) and remove the MD.

Cheers
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Teoh
    Quite a few models of PPC I can think of. However, the battery life will be a serious problem as MD is known to drain power like nobody business. As such, what some memebrs have done are to transfer the data to another storage card (mostly SD) and remove the MD.

Cheers
    John
    Thanks for the info, I dun quite like the idea of transfering to SD cos it means sinking money into another storage media..
    If MD is power-draining, I might consider using my CF cards as alternative. Haha, ya know, money alreadiy spent onthese cards and I wold like to maximise their utility

iPaq 2210 seems to be suitable for u... read up some reviews.

are u thinking of using your palmtop to see/edit/send pictures recorded on a CF card? I think no palmtops can accept CF expansion or have an upgrade for CF combatibility except for sony's.

Default Try Asus - 716

This will probably suit you. Sound is better than Palm T3 that I use. Wifi & blue tooth. My son like it enough for mp3 playing. Sd card and cf card slot.

Cheap for what it can do but still set you back 700 plus.

Look for a CF MP 3 player to stick into the cf slot - if you want better sound.

i bought an old HP jornada PDA 2nd hand for $120. quite bulky, accepts CF type1 only, but it serves me well and batt can last for 1 whole day of mp3 playback.

toshiba e740. cheap and good. build in wi-fi. take in cf + sd
    but............ battery abit **** up. better get a back up batt if you intend to play mp3 or wi-fi whole day.
    "I want to have the best camera in the world and shoot XMMs."

You may wanna consider the new HP iPAQ hx4700 ... it accepts SD and CF memory cards.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy
    are u thinking of using your palmtop to see/edit/send pictures recorded on a CF card? I think no palmtops can accept CF expansion or have an upgrade for CF combatibility except for sony's.
    No, i dun intend to use it for editing or such. Just thinking of buying a MP3 player but those in the market cost 200-300 for a 256mb built in memory. So I am thinking I might as well buy a used pda and slot in my CFs or MDs. Save money and can get organised as well.

Quote Originally Posted by y0ngcheng
    toshiba e740. cheap and good. build in wi-fi. take in cf + sd
    but............ battery abit **** up. better get a back up batt if you intend to play mp3 or wi-fi whole day.
    Saw one e740 in yahoo auction going around 200, is this a good price? Batt not a problem for me cos me just using on the way to work, surely it can lasts 2 hours a day right?

Thanks for the overwhelming response and suggestions. Ipax 4700 and 2210 is too ex for me, even resale price. Just wondering is the 5450 good? Cos i saw one selling at 370+ at yahoo auction. So far, I think the Toshiba E740 is more suitable for me cos it accepts both SD and CF, no need to add CF sleeves like the IPAQs. Is there any more cheaper models I can consider?

he is talking about palmtop. www.palm.com
    Objection !!!

5450 doesn't have CF slot. You need to purchase a sleeve which will add on more size to it. However, you might want to go to PPCSG to ask for more comments.

http://www.ppcsg.com

Cheers
    John

BTW, this might meet your need.

http://www.ppcsg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39059

Cheers
    John

mmm...better not discuss pda-related stuff here, in case kena close-thread like me

see?

maybe places like spug would be able to help you

Quote Originally Posted by Damien
    I am new to handheld gadgets. Planing to buy a MP3 player, after looking at prices of new MP3 players, I might consider getting handhelds that accepts IBM microdrive as expansion slots since I have already owned them.
    Any palmtop models to reccomeend from ppl here?
    Consideration:
    Must be able to playback MP3
    Must of jack for me to use my seinheisser earphone as well

THANKS!!
    My gf is using Palm Zire 72 that accept SD/MMC card for playing MP3, and also come with a camera! And I am sure it can accept your Seinheisser earpone too. Right now, she is one happy user of it!