Thread: Confused about aperture, shutter speed, ISO?

Default Confused about aperture, shutter speed, ISO?

Use this..

Choose manual mode for greater understanding

http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator.html

Default Re: Confused about aperture, shutter speed, ISO?

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    Use this..

Choose manual mode for greater understanding

http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator.html
    Thanks for sharing...
    Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

I just took a look at the simulator Interesting piece of work. Though it exhibit the effects when coming to adjustments, but still you may not experience the feeling until you start getting your hands dirty. I give you a little bit pointers to get you started.

ISO is important, but it can be the last thing you will wanna touch on until you are more ready. Keep to a fine day, especially got in a fine bright cloudy day and ISO at auto or fixed at ISO 100/200 will be totally fine. I say you don't start with manual mode because you wouldn't understand all at once when you have so much variables to handle.

Start with Av(Canon) or A(Nikon) mode first. This is the aperture mode. Also start with still scene first. Play between focusing on very near objects and very far objects with large and small aperture values. Take note on how the other objects that are not in focus behave when you are using different values of the aperture. The camera will adjust the shutter speed depending on the current lighting conditions. You will then understand more about how aperture works.

Next switch to Tv(Canon) or S(Nikon) mode. This is the shutter speed mode. Here you get to adjust the shutter speed where the aperture is automatically adjusted by the camera based on the lighting condition. When using this mode, try to capture moving objects moving at different speed such as human walk, human running and cars moving on the road. Experience how different shutter speed effect your captured image.

Once you have a better idea on aperture and shutter speed behavior. Go for a late evening (5pm to 7pm) shoot. I wouldn't recommend you go for night shoot until you have a good understanding of all these parameters, because most likely you will be disappointed with the output. Still using ISO 100/200, compare with your results during the day. Take a good look at the output following the same things you have did in the day. Adjust the ISO to 400 or 800, take note on the quality of the image (determine by zooming in at 100% or transfer to your computer later at home and take a look).

On next late evening occasion, try with a tripod. Use back ISO 100, aim at a still object. Use aperture f/8 in aperture mode, notice how the camera adjusted your shutter speed. Stay all the way to night time like 7pm to 8pm. Continue using a tripod and stick with ISO 100, experience the limitation. Keep bump up the ISO until you hit the highest you can go. See what you get out of your camera. The quality and the results. That should give you a good gauge on what your camera can give you at night.

Quote Originally Posted by jas1984 View Post
    Thanks for sharing...
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Good stuffs bro... Upz for you for others to see. Fantastic!
    My previous identity is http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/members/17083-hanqiang1011

I find failure to be the best teacher...makes you remember stuff and forces understanding. Aperture, Shutter and ISO are just the tip of the iceberg since there are still in-camera tricks you and your camera can do to "compensate" in some areas. Check out Brian Peterson`s Understanding Exposure.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    I find failure to be the best teacher...makes you remember stuff and forces understanding. Aperture, Shutter and ISO are just the tip of the iceberg since there are still in-camera tricks you and your camera can do to "compensate" in some areas. Check out Brian Peterson`s Understanding Exposure.
    yes i second this. failure is the best teacher. Looking back at the photos i took when i thought WOW IM ARTISTIC just makes me wana laugh lol.

take more pics, look at other ppl's pics are great help to help u improve. actually i really think manual mode is good for newbies to pick up very very quickly.
    keep shooting with different settings under the same condition angle and stuffs. but u gota understand shutter speed.

Blog Entries

This is a good simulator. Just note that it does not show perspective changes or compression with focal lengths and distance to subjects.

They should make live view mode. Can see the changes immediately.
    Sony α
    My Flickr | Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by t3hkor

yes i second this. failure is the best teacher. Looking back at the photos i took when i thought WOW IM ARTISTIC just makes me wana laugh lol.

take more pics, look at other ppl's pics are great help to help u improve. actually i really think manual mode is good for newbies to pick up very very quickly.
    keep shooting with different settings under the same condition angle and stuffs. but u gota understand shutter speed.
    Agree....i try m mode in diffrent setting to see different outcome.
    Though more to learn as im new.
    Really wanna try more.....