Thread: Fuzzy background yet sharp subject shot

Default Fuzzy background yet sharp subject shot

hi guys.. and gals,

juz wanna ask ard if u'd advise on this type of shots?

e.g. creating a fuzzy background/foreground.. yet keeping the
    subject in sharp focus?..

another kind of shot.. i am interested to learn..
    e.g. creating a glowy aura in the pic.. like as if it's a dreamy
    kind of atmosphere..

all this done w/o photoshop.. boleh??

Fuzzy background 1 is called Depth Of Field, either achieve by opening up the aperture to the max or use the few smallest aperture on zoom lens. Glowy aura is caused by backlighting...

For the first, you'll need to play with the depth of field (DOF); wider apertures (smaller F. nos), longer focal lengths and subject closeness all help to play a part. Do a quick search I'm pretty sure got lots of posts on this.

2nd one, sorry I can't help as I do not use photoshop. If you intend to get it straight out of the camera though, you might want to look into diffusing filters, e.g. Cokin or CZ Softars etc.

HTHs!

Alvin

hi hi..

oops.. ought to clarify on the first scenario.. not so much on DOF..
    it's more of the type when u have motion.. and creating that wind effect..

but .. the shot i saw in my fren's wedding album is that the couple is in the middle of the pic, and the whirl effect is surrounding them.. kinda cool w/ the lights swirl..

i guess if you want to achieve the 'whirling' effect that has to do with shutter speed

It normally affects the whole picture (especially when there are lights) .. if i'm not wrong... i'm not a pro myself but this is just a little of what i know so far...

However, from what you're referring to - couple clear and background is nice whirling effect... it probably is a manipulation or just a preset background and the couple superimposed?

acrylonithrill, I think sensx is refering to those special effect stuff you did with andi1704 last saturday.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

unlikely.. cuz we saw the lead photographer use a film SLR

Quote Originally Posted by sensx
    hi hi..

but .. the shot i saw in my fren's wedding album is that the couple is in the middle of the pic, and the whirl effect is surrounding them.. kinda cool w/ the lights swirl..
    Maybe you are referring to panning?

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    acrylonithrill, I think sensx is refering to those special effect stuff you did with andi1704 last saturday.
    your P.A.N.O. king shot...

hi guys.. and gals,

juz wanna ask ard if u'd advise on this type of shots?

e.g. creating a fuzzy background/foreground.. yet keeping the
    subject in sharp focus?..

another kind of shot.. i am interested to learn..
    e.g. creating a glowy aura in the pic.. like as if it's a dreamy
    kind of atmosphere..

all this done w/o photoshop.. boleh??
    If I understand you questions correctly....

1 A fuzzy background or foreground with sharp image of the subject is a simple application of very short depth of field (DOF). For ANY LENS, there is ONLY ONE PLANE THAT is in focus. When one refers to a wide DOF, ie "sharp" focus extending from the foreground to the infinity (far background), what actually one refers to is "ACCEPTABLE" sharpness. It is not true sharpness all the way. The extent of acceptable sharpness depends on the aperture, the focal length of the lens, and the distance from the photographer to the subject.

In general, the most practical approach is to use a "long lens" with the aperture wide open. Example: if you take a picture of a person with a 200 mm lens at f2 focussing on the person, the depth of field will be very shallow, and the foreground and background will be out of focus and blurred.

2 Regarding glowing aura/dreamy. A lot depends on what you mean. If I imagine a woman in a field of flowers, a dreamy like state, I would photograph her with a soft filter with the light behind the woman. This could creat a a soft effect, with glowing lights from the hair. I hope this is what you mean.

hi hi..

Oops, read this later.

I think that this is more likely an effect with PS. However it can be done without digital tricks. What is required is a background that moves and the subject stationary. Use a slow speed. Hopefully the subject stays still enough and the slow shutter speed allows the fast moving background to move.

vince123123
    Guests

1. Get couple to stand still in front of background (neon lights/signboard etc)
    2. Use Bulb and zoom/pan/rotate your camera.
    3. when you had enough, fire your flash to light up the couple.

hi hi..