Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which to Choose!!!

Default Re: Which to Choose!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    if you saying my personal choice, it will be the 70-300L
    haha.. thks.. think u really mean it.... "ur avator - 冷静思考".... 我也是一直在冷静思考中。。。 想了很久。。。差不多有一个月了吧。。。 将近做了一个月的调查。。
    5D Mark II, EF 24-105 IS F4L , EF 16-35 F2.8L II, EF 85 F1.8, Shld I wait for version 2 100-400 L??

Given the initial list, I would say the 70-200 F4 IS L.

It is light.

My personal preference is the 70-200 f2.8L. I use it myself, but of course, the issue is the weight. For travel, i would think sticking with the F4 would do just nice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teoweeyong View Post
    Thks ar.. Bro..

Acutally in the back of my mind, I was thinking of this combi also... but matched with 2x TC loh...

Thks ar... ty very much.. but it is the part on the 'occasionally use' that is pulling me back... 'gu gu yong zhe pai' ar....
    the 70-200/2.8 is more useful and versatile than you think. It is great at shooting portraits as well, able to cover all your portrait ranges from 100-200mm. It can shoot sports, events and short range birding (with TC). Giving your very good sharpness and subject isolation. Even with 2x TC, your aperture will drop to F5.8, which is still acceptable. With the F4, the aperture will drop to F8, and most cameras will struggle to AF with F8. It will be worse with the variable aperture telezooms. Once you get it, you will use it a lot more than you previously expected.

Weight wise, is around 750g for F4 vs 1.4kg for F2.8. Price difference is 1+k. But you give up so much more. So if you even think about using TCs or some portrait work, might as well just go for the 2.8.

If you get the F4 or the variable aperture lenses, you will not use them as much as the 2.8.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 14th September 2011 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    the 70-200/2.8 is more useful and versatile than you think. It is great at shooting portraits as well, able to cover all your portrait ranges from 100-200mm. It can shoot sports, events and short range birding (with TC). Giving your very good sharpness and subject isolation. Even with 2x TC, your aperture will drop to F5.8, which is still acceptable. With the F4, the aperture will drop to F8, and most cameras will struggle to AF with F8. It will be worse with the variable aperture telezooms. Once you get it, you will use it a lot more than you previously expected.

Weight wise, is around 750g for F4 vs 1.4kg for F2.8. Price difference is 1+k. But you give up so much more. So if you even think about using TCs or some portrait work, might as well just go for the 2.8.

If you get the F4 or the variable aperture lenses, you will not use them as much as the 2.8.
    Agreed with daredevil123.. that why everyone wants a 70-200mm f2.8.. the only con side to me personally is the price.. not everyone can pay such a price... and a bit more heavy...
    Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

Quote Originally Posted by jas1984

Agreed with daredevil123.. that why everyone wants a 70-200mm f2.8.. the only con side to me personally is the price.. not everyone can pay such a price... and a bit more heavy...
    Whoa tis is a wonderful experience sharing.. Especially the part on where my perception may change (daredevil quote) on the usage of the lens becoz of its verstaility..
    Yap the price tag wif 2x TC may nearly hit the 4k mark..
    The weight..
    Previously i carry 24-105 & 16-35 go climb mountain with modular.. I alrdy abit feel like breathless liao..
    Go climb tower also shack...
    The price maybe one, but the weight is definetly one tt abit scary..
    Like to enjoy shooting and dun want it to turn into chores with heavy load..
    Sigh like wat many says.. There is no perfect lens.. Tele, fast and light... Lol.. But if go for light setup, wat do u guys think.. Tele+light weight only..
    5D Mark II, EF 24-105 IS F4L , EF 16-35 F2.8L II, EF 85 F1.8, Shld I wait for version 2 100-400 L??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teoweeyong View Post
    Whoa tis is a wonderful experience sharing.. Especially the part on where my perception may change (daredevil quote) on the usage of the lens becoz of its verstaility..
    Yap the price tag wif 2x TC may nearly hit the 4k mark..
    The weight..
    Previously i carry 24-105 & 16-35 go climb mountain with modular.. I alrdy abit feel like breathless liao..
    Go climb tower also shack...
    The price maybe one, but the weight is definetly one tt abit scary..
    Like to enjoy shooting and dun want it to turn into chores with heavy load..
    Sigh like wat many says.. There is no perfect lens.. Tele, fast and light... Lol.. But if go for light setup, wat do u guys think.. Tele+light weight only..
    To cut down on weight and cost also consider the 200/2.8L II or 135/2L. Nikon offers a 180/2.8 which is great, so you can consider using an adapter and MF also if you wish.

Or if cost is your only concern you should also consider 70-200/2.8 non-IS or the IS mk1 apart from the ones mentioned above.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 14th September 2011 at 08:33 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12