Thread: So You Want To Be A Wedding Photographer?

Default So You Want To Be A Wedding Photographer?

It seems that everyone wants to be a wedding photographer these days.....

I guess the desire for a more balanced lifestyle places a premium on photography as a profession due to the flexible hours. But let me warn any aspiring photographer, especialy in the wedding photography field, that its not a piece of cake. Let me tell you why:

Firstly, there's loads of wedding photographers out there. Competition is intense. Many are part-timers who do weddings only on the weekends and are able to charge low prices and promise the moon in their services. Any person aspiring to plunge headlong into this field must be prepared to slog it out with other photographers who are able to charge a fraction of the price, plus not have the overheads of a full-time studio. You will have to last financially for the first two or three years.

Secondly, technology has progressed much over the last decade into the digital form. With cameras on every iPhone and Blackberry (and with flash to boot), the person who holds the camera is not the only one who can take a shot. If clients are not fussy with the quality of their wedding shots, there are many other options for them like getting their friends to shoot their wedding for free. Another aspect of technology is Photoshop. With photoshop, anyone with some basic computer skills can make a lousy picture look good.

Finally, to succeed in wedding photography requires more than just technical skills. In fact, you need much business and people skills to really do well. This is because wedding photography essentially involves building trust and communication with the couple, plus marketing your skills. So be prepared to ramp up on your social skills and emotional intelligence by perhaps attending some classes on these topics before setting out.

Last but not least, it would be helpful if you could test the market before you leap, perhaps doing it part-time first. That would really help you from a financially costly mistake.

dennis ng - singapore wedding photographer

Default Re: So You Want To Be A Wedding Photographer?

For those who know me, i have reasons why i would not do wedding photography unless its for people i know closely or family.

I would have to be offered an obscenely large amount of money to persude me to do wedding photography.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by mpguitars View Post

Secondly, technology has progressed much over the last decade into the digital form. With cameras on every iPhone and Blackberry (and with flash to boot), the person who holds the camera is not the only one who can take a shot. If clients are not fussy with the quality of their wedding shots, there are many other options for them like getting their friends to shoot their wedding for free. Another aspect of technology is Photoshop. With photoshop, anyone with some basic computer skills can make a lousy picture look good.
    im going to say something cheeky here... but if you are entering the photography business and your competition is people with iPhones and Blackberrys (with flash!!) then perhaps you ought not to entering the industry full time?

Wedding photographers - be it part time or full time - should be able to meet clients' request and do better than requested. You sometimes add the crucial ingredient to an everlasting moments and you share joy with couples too. Money yes, it is a factor but more true is that you are able to deliver the crucial requirements and moments. Technology helps, but more importantly the man operating the technology, which in this case is a photographer and camera. If client engage you for a wedding, since you are the photographer, the most basic equipment should be a DSLR plus an ext speedlite! In most cases, many colleagues in this industry will be using 2 camera workflow for an assignment - one for main camera and the other camera for close-up / backup - plus many speedlites for backup. If client pays you the money, you use iPhone or Blackberry, you make yourself a joker! Clients pay us for the equipment we use and most importantly, our skills and ability to adapt to changing circumstances to deliver the best scene for selection. If your workhorse camera fails you, you must be still be able to produce despite the camera failure, that is why a second camera is the best. Some colleagues I know have 3rd camera or 4th camera! Same goes for speedlites and memory cards!!!

Computer skills, if you have the ability to convene your message to clients and audience, PS skills should be limited to just basic edition like adjusting lighting, cropping and colour adjustments should do the job. If images are slightly not up to your standard, use PS to enhance it. As much as PS is concerned, PS is to enhance your shots, and to a certain extend beautify the shots! Up till now, the common layout thoughts are still shot no good, use PS! No standard, use PS! Sadly not many shooters nowadays understand the meaning shoot to kill. Being in this industry for 8 years, I dont dare say I am the best but I wouldnt say I am the worst either! I always ensure I have a 2nd photographer to fill-in the shots I am unable to get during actual day wedding.

So... wannabe a wedding photographer, you MUST consider for your clients' interest first and have the skills, knowledge and equipment. Just my 2 cents worth of opinion!
    Last edited by BlitzWerkz; 14th September 2011 at 07:31 PM.
    My previous identity is http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/members/17083-hanqiang1011

Quote Originally Posted by theroo View Post
    im going to say something cheeky here... but if you are entering the photography business and your competition is people with iPhones and Blackberrys (with flash!!) then perhaps you ought not to entering the industry full time?
    LOL
    My previous identity is http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/members/17083-hanqiang1011

Wah, you linked your site twice with keywords but you actually reap not much SEO benefits from CS. Can't help but notice your post feel like one of those written by SEO companies.

"With photoshop, anyone with basic computer skills can make a lousy picture look good"

Did you really said that?