Thread: How much should I charge?

Default How much should I charge?

For those who want to learn how to charge people.

I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Default Re: How much should I charge?

Great clip

Quote Originally Posted by zane80 View Post
    Great clip
    Whats sad is that just about always the client will ask why so much more expensive then the cheapest rate photographer and why so much less services then the most expensive photographer. There is the diplomatic way of explaining that can take just about forever and the blunt way that takes a very small amount of time. Needless to say most of the time either way the outcome is similar so depends how much time you have to burn to close the deal and how much that time costs.

Students who are new to photography most likely become marked by opportunistic clients since they have no idea how much they are worth, have very little in the way of costs, usually have latest gear and the passion is there. Once they are milked till the passion are gone or they start charging their rightful wage, these clients will simply move on to the next fresh meat.

Thats why the idea of photographers getting together and sharing tips, problems, cost issues and work wages is very good idea. Also can discuss various business models and various trends in photography.

It also helps that a profitable business model doesnt make one guilty about having starbucks coffee or having deluxe breakfast.
    Last edited by Reportage; 14th September 2011 at 11:32 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    It also helps that a profitable business model doesnt make one guilty about having starbucks coffee or having deluxe breakfast.
    Are you going to treat me?
    I am very cheap!
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Are you going to treat me?
    I am very cheap!
    reminds me of the early days...the job is basically work from morning till night and all i got was 2 packet meals and distilled water. Stupid of me to accept such a photography assignment under such terms right? Some more its for a big name event and i would not be accredited or compensated if photos were used. For what i was doing, i would say the hospitality room waiter was earning more.
    Last edited by Reportage; 14th September 2011 at 12:13 PM.

Please do not "insult" your great photography or artistic talent given by God by undercharging yourself, because not everyone has it(unless you treat it like doing charity).
    Treasure your own talent. If you don't, nobody will treasure yours.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Please do not "insult" your great photography or artistic talent given by God by undercharging yourself, because not everyone has it(unless you treat it like doing charity).
    Treasure your own talent. If you don't, nobody will treasure yours.
    I agree...if the clients take it for granted that photographers are a commodity, thats what they will always do. Ever once i inquired further into an event for "charity" then found that is a many stars venue and the location was the grand ballroom. I also got an itinerary of events, VIPs attending and even the food catered. When i called back the organizer that since the event got such a large budget, my "for charity" rates should be reasonable right? Said will check back with me but never did.

I found they like to use the phrase small/no budget for photographer when in reality what they are saying is got budget for everything except photography. In my case i dislike such means to acquire free services while others would use stronger words.

Just goes to show that the technical aspect of photography contribute only a small part to being a successful professional photographer.

In fact an amateur photographer with superb business management skills can just hire a team of professional photographers while he or she just shake their leg in the office.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Just goes to show that the technical aspect of photography contribute only a small part to being a successful professional photographer.

In fact an amateur photographer with superb business management skills can just hire a team of professional photographers while he or she just shake their leg in the office.
    so very true.

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images

Hahaha that one is akin to being a mamasan already

I've ever charged someone a "no frills" rate before, but never did do it for free (at least in place of a birthday present e.g) so just to reiterate the important thing of cost factoring. That said, im really really new in this, still wearing pampers
    naheuy|A7|A77
    naheuy photography

Quote Originally Posted by naheuy View Post
    Hahaha that one is akin to being a mamasan already

I've ever charged someone a "no frills" rate before, but never did do it for free (at least in place of a birthday present e.g) so just to reiterate the important thing of cost factoring. That said, im really really new in this, still wearing pampers
    Be sure to visit the Photo Biz section often....if you really want to go into this business.

There is a famous quote saying that "if you are real good in something, why do it for free or at a cheapo rate?"
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux