Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ever met an old man who ask you how to walk to Hougang?

A few years back, this young chap approached me at Coronation Plaza at the bus stop. He said he had no money and wanted cash to take a TAXI to Clementi. Such an irony because there is at least one direct bus to Clementi that stops at that particular bus stop. I pointed that out to him but he stubbornly insisted on taking a cab.

We were going restaurant last time,
    and Aboriginal man comes
    "can you help me? do you have foddy cents?"
    We say we are going restaurant, and then he says he'll follow us, we say no, and he go away

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    guess i ignored too many strangers who approched me for whatever reasons not to have any stories.

ooops i got one in china, someones knocks on my hotel door and asks if i wanted a massage 40 yuan only, i said no, 5 minutes later i open my door and she sprang into my bed refusing to leave...
    Yeah lah. That's why you had to "extend" your stay in China for another week.

I also encounted incident like that.

Once I was walking down River Valley Road, A middle-aged man stopped me and asked for $10. Can't remember that was his story.

I had no change so I gave him $20. He said that was too much and gave me $50 and asked whether I had change for that or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion

Once I was walking down River Valley Road, A middle-aged man stopped me and asked for $10. Can't remember that was his story.

I had no change so I gave him $20. He said that was too much and gave me $50 and asked whether I had change for that or not.
    That old man is honest!

I met a guy in his mid 30s 2 weeks back outside funan ctr and it nearly made me laugh.

I was on my way home with a cup of coke in my hand and this guy approached me and told me that he is thirsty and do not have money to buy any drinks. I was expecting him to ask for some money from his next question but I was surprised to hear "Can you let me have your drink?"

I was stunted for about 2 seconds by this question and ended up giving him the remainding 1/4.

Just for kicks, let me throw something into the fray here ...

What if it's part of a "candid-camera" type of setup ? Will a kind and compassionate persona be portrayed ? People are born trusting, with a natural instinct to help their fellow man (just look at a group of toddlers playing together), but as we grow older, these character traits are suppressed or taken over by a street-smart distrust of the unknown.

I'm not trying to be preachy here, but I guess we have read and heard about so much that we sometimes automatically assume that whoever's asking for "help" is out to fleece us.

It's quite sad, and I'm not pointing the finger at anyone at all, I have to "fight" this conditioning too.

Let me ask you something, what did your $20 consist of? 2 pieces of $10 or 4 pieces of $5. There is no way I can believe your story.....

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by melnjes
    A few years back, this young chap approached me at Coronation Plaza at the bus stop. He said he had no money and wanted cash to take a TAXI to Clementi. Such an irony because there is at least one direct bus to Clementi that stops at that particular bus stop. I pointed that out to him but he stubbornly insisted on taking a cab.
    this seems pretty obvious a case.

any distance isn't far, if someone asked me that way, i'd tell him/her that i took about 2 hours to walk from raffles city to serangoon central, because i did that when i was 18...

Quote Originally Posted by hanoman
    Let me ask you something, what did your $20 consist of? 2 pieces of $10 or 4 pieces of $5. There is no way I can believe your story.....
    Hahah! It was a A$20 note mah.

Quote Originally Posted by ccplim
    I met a guy in his mid 30s 2 weeks back outside funan ctr and it nearly made me laugh.

I was on my way home with a cup of coke in my hand and this guy approached me and told me that he is thirsty and do not have money to buy any drinks. I was expecting him to ask for some money from his next question but I was surprised to hear "Can you let me have your drink?"

I was stunted for about 2 seconds by this question and ended up giving him the remainding 1/4.
    Yes I met someone like that too.

This guy wanted my shirt and trousers too in addition to my drink.

He didn't ask for any money.
    Last edited by Sion; 19th October 2004 at 07:46 PM.

it's rather difficult to get a job at their age, esp those less educated one. most of them have family to support (utilities, HDB instalment, children school fee & pocket money, old parents...). personally feel that if one can afford, it's ok to give, take it like buying them lunch & kopi.

Wow this topic is hot! This shows that there's alot of people coning people

Quote Originally Posted by ITD
    it's rather difficult to get a job at their age, esp those less educated one. most of them have family to support (utilities, HDB instalment, children school fee & pocket money, old parents...). personally feel that if one can afford, it's ok to give, take it like buying them lunch & kopi.
    My dear friend, you are mixed up with charity and CONrity. For a healthy/normal person to beg for food or money, that person loses one's pride and dignity unless there is a special reason. Any normal/healthy persons MUST work for their food, there is no short-cut about this. But to con ppl for a living is the lowest form of begging.
    On the other hand, to give or help ppl in real distress situation is divine .... whether you can afford or not, but to give when you know that you are giving to a con-man.... then you are doing the societyand in particular that conman a disservice, and thus creating a parasite city. It's the same with giving $$$ to beggers. Leave the charity works to the organisations and assist those that you know personally about their real problems.
    As such, I hope that no one should have this concept of "it's ok to give, take it like ,....."
    always the Light, .... always.

Wah so many ah lau~s stories... I encounter also which is 2 china bitches oopss... sorry for my lang. Oh i was saying 2 china B asking me is can i show her where to get calling card coz they wanna call back to china due to loss of wallet or bags at town. So i told her to walk over to PS to get it at 7-11 but she told me she got no $$, on the other min she took out a wallet which there are so many cards then she told me all her creditcard from china constuction bank which singapore doesnt hab this bank and on that time i was working in telephone directory company which i know there is. so i tell her that to wave a cab and take it to the embassy of china they might help them. They rejected and tell me that they are hungry, hopping that i can buy them dinner and then asking me where i stay.... I got fedup by them then i just give them a 10bucks and ask them to settle on their own. Is kinda lame where you got 3 china Bs walking around in town asking ppl for $$, food and even wanna provide services anyway this kind of ppl really clever doing this.
    Favouritism | Design + Lifestyle + Art

Hahah! It was a A$20 note mah.
    Paiseh..... Sorryto accuse wrongly.... Should say earlier its an OZ dollar.

have some heart. give the poor guy a lift....send him to the nearest police station. then he will have free food and lodging.

Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    I had TWO encounters with this old man..

First time is in Orchard, where he ask me 'how to walk to Hougang from here'? - In mandarin. I told him it's impossible because it's damn far.. So i advice him to take a bus or MRT.. Then he took out a 50cents coin and tell me that's all he left. So i handed a 2-dollar note and tell him to take bus to Hougang.

After months, i met him again at Beach Road! Initially i forgot how he look like already, but his exact same question and tactics stunned me.. Upon recalling the previous incident, i told him 'You asked me the exact same question before..'.. He tried to act blur and said he didn't.. etc.... And i just walk off, felt damn pissed off.

I felt that he have hands and legs, if he don't have money, he can work for it.. Don't have to become a cheater.

may it be $2 or $5... i would rather give it to him/her... ever imagine seeing him/her again on the next day paper.... died for some reason like run down by car while walking home?... it could be a real situation... he/she has to hide their pride n dignity to beg for that few bucks... think of it...how often do u see these people begging for money... i think i see those red-cross,nus,watever funds asking for money more often then them...
    But on the other hand... if u recongnise the guy who beg with a different reason AGAIN... most likely a conman.... guess we can just ignore them....
    If people can make those phone calls to donate that $50/$100 to see the celebrities suffering on TV...i don't see why people can't spare a few bucks for those people who put their pride n dignity behind them to ask for money...

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    I had TWO encounters with this old man..

First time is in Orchard, where he ask me 'how to walk to Hougang from here'? - In mandarin. I told him it's impossible because it's damn far.. So i advice him to take a bus or MRT.. Then he took out a 50cents coin and tell me that's all he left. So i handed a 2-dollar note and tell him to take bus to Hougang.

After months, i met him again at Beach Road! Initially i forgot how he look like already, but his exact same question and tactics stunned me.. Upon recalling the previous incident, i told him 'You asked me the exact same question before..'.. He tried to act blur and said he didn't.. etc.... And i just walk off, felt damn pissed off.

I felt that he have hands and legs, if he don't have money, he can work for it.. Don't have to become a cheater.

Try this, then you'll know if he/she's for real:

Says that you're also about to go to the same location, and offer to drive (never mind if you don't actually drive) him/her there. If one accepted, then one is genuine, else...sure to backoff one.

I tried (not this old man, but similar encounter). It works!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234