Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ever met an old man who ask you how to walk to Hougang?

Another incident to add to the "sightings". This happened to me outside Sim Lim Square, where a lady who spoke with a Malaysian Chinese accent started telling me a story of how her mother was ill and she had no money to buy porridge for her. Might be the same person that Drudkh met.

What I did was to act blur, she first asked if I understood Mandarin, then blah blah her story in Mandarin, then look at me as if I don't understand (act blur face), then switched between Mandarin and English. Just politely declined and walked away.

yep .. A70 .. i've met her before, same place, in front of Sim Lim. she appeared in chinatown too, where another friend of mine kena. TWICE. lol

my house here one more interesting. thin thin petite old lady. all white hair. come up to you wan tell fortune help you suan ming. then ahhh. after all the talks (though got ask her go away) she ask you give her money. blah blah. then got namecard somemore lah. then poor hor. i abit doubt. she got put makeup also. very badly done foundation. *coughs* yeah.

another classic. a "monk" dressed in yellow/orange robes approaches you and asks if you want to buy a "gold" card and whips out a tattered notebook to take down ur "donation". well, i've seen a lady take the card, say thanks and walk away without paying. the "monk" was dumbfounded for a while, haha! good one

wah, i never realize that my thread will be so 'hot'..

probably an outing should be organize to stalk them.. eh? haha!

the taxi man just came by to return my wallet about an hour ago

so time to share another story

I was walking along boat quay in the afternoon, not many people around at the time when I was approached by this indian man... immediately he shook my hand and said "you have a fortune face... very lucky....... very good very good, but next month will not be good for you"

I was like HUH ? for a while... then I just said.. ok, thanks and walked away, I'm sure he wants me to pay him to "change my fortune" for next month

encounter 1 before .. last yr..
    I'm rushing to fetch my son, then 1 Indian lady approach me and say that she come from Malaysia (shown me her passport some more), visit friend, lost the way, no money.
    Ask for $5 to go back to Malaysia.

As I'm rushing for time, give her $5 and go...
    She even try to look into my wallet...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    free meals indented too !
    not really... guess where the $$$ for the meals come from?

reminds me too, of a shabby man? woman? (can't recall) who was digging the ciggie tray of bus-stop dustbins, fishing out those unfinished ones, putting them into the mouth, lighting them up with a lighter with a BIG flame (read: 7+++ cm tall flame!!!) and puffing them like an asthmatic trying to fight for air, finishing the ciggie, throwing the butt away either on the floor or the tray. repeat process for the next bin....

still no one from beach rd posting that old man's photo. i wonder if he visits cs too ...

Quote Originally Posted by Newman
    Sulhan, you should have told him to run behind the bus since he couldn't take it!!!!
    No lah, run behind taxi, can save more money lay.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Tell him go by CTE then exit Braddell Road, then turn left at Upper Serangoon Road and go straight up will pass by Kovan and very soon will reach Hougang.

Say "Uncle, I wish I be as strong as you when I your age" then give him thumbs up, smile and walk away.

another story to share....... after I send my GF back at Jurong East, while walking back to the station, I was approached by this 2 PRC girls, about late 20s, 30s there. Said they were visiting friends and ended up spending all their money..... was asking for some help, asking for money, say they will call her father (in China) and he will come to Singapore to pick her up and also return me my money :|

I offered to buy her a phone card, walked to a phone booth and she made a call....... anyway I think it was a scam or something that i didn't fell for...... can't remember much.

say, take the NE line tunnel. much cooler!

last month, i was with a friend eating curry @ curry by the bay (highly recommended). this big young man came to me and praise me?????
    he then took out a piece of paper from a stack in his hand and give it to me. on it, written 4 numbers.
    next he told me he is hungry, needed $5 to eat, i refuse to give him.
    suddenly, he went down on his knee to beg from me, pulling my left arm.
    still i say no. why, am i heartless, no. i am telling you, this guy is big (not fat) like me, probably weighs about 80-90kg @ over 1.7m tall. being able body and young like him, not wanting to work, go figure????
    i told him i going to call police, finally he goes away. i am big size enough to stand up to him as well as thick skin enough. but most people are not and will most likely to give, feeling intimidated and embarass.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

WOW..haha Those men asking for directions and later $$$ definitely are con men. They probably knew that it's just impossible to walk there (Too far). They were expecting you to tell them to take a bus instead. Then they will ask for your $$$. Quite obvious right? If they were really lost, I bet they won't know the direction from a bus to home.

I posed my friend this question, funny thing he met this similar guy once. My friend offered to take him to nearby police station for help when the guy started asking for $$$ to take cab home since he was lost... The guy quickly fled..

guess i ignored too many strangers who approched me for whatever reasons not to have any stories.

ooops i got one in china, someones knocks on my hotel door and asks if i wanted a massage 40 yuan only, i said no, 5 minutes later i open my door and she sprang into my bed refusing to leave...

and you had a good "forced" massage?

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    guess i ignored too many strangers who approched me for whatever reasons not to have any stories.

ooops i got one in china, someones knocks on my hotel door and asks if i wanted a massage 40 yuan only, i said no, 5 minutes later i open my door and she sprang into my bed refusing to leave...

I met this lady. I was approached by her outside Bugis Junction. She can make up a wholesome story and picture for people to sympatise her.

Told me **** and bull story of her being a Malaysian but a Singapore PR and even asked me if I could tell from her Malaysian Chinese accent. She continued talking on her unsuccessfulness in job interview on that day and need money to take bus go home and buy food for siblings and a diabetic mother. When I ask how much, she said $20.

Knowing from my experience that she sound like a con-man, I told her I cannot give her $20 but I am willing to give $2 for bus fare and go downstairs to the food court at Bugis Junction to help her packet 5 packets of dinner, she immediately backed off and say, "nevermind, I ask someone else". In less than 1 minute, she is asking another man nearby.

I am always glad to pay for a good meal at the hawker centre on the spot if an old man/lady approach me telling me he/she need money for dinner. Giving out money to them is a no no.

Quote Originally Posted by A70
    Another incident to add to the "sightings". This happened to me outside Sim Lim Square, where a lady who spoke with a Malaysian Chinese accent started telling me a story of how her mother was ill and she had no money to buy porridge for her. Might be the same person that Drudkh met.

What I did was to act blur, she first asked if I understood Mandarin, then blah blah her story in Mandarin, then look at me as if I don't understand (act blur face), then switched between Mandarin and English. Just politely declined and walked away.

I have met a chap in his late 20s or early 30. Look decent and well groomed. First time met him near art muesum and ask me $$ to go home. I gave him about $1.5 which is more than enough to take a bus to anywhere. But he say not enough and ask me for $20. I sense something wrong so I say dont have and wanted to walk away, but he followed me and ask for $10 this time, say want to take cab home.

In the end i walk away quickly without giving him a cent...a year later, saw him near raffles city again, still looks the same, and approach me for $, i rejected him immediately and then he went to "beg" from someone else

Come to think of it, I remember being approached by an old man in his 50s sometime last year next to Plaza by the Park, Bencoolen street. He is about 155 - 160 cm tall, dark tanned and wore a white trousers. In a blurry manner, he asked me how much it is to take a train to some MRT, and if I could spare him some as he had only 50 cents. So I took out something like 40 cents. But before I could pass that to him, he immediately asked if I could offer $2 instead. I was in a bad mood that day, so I said in chinese "go and die" and walked off without even giving a single cent.

Let's organize a hunt session to take photo of these people. Based on the accounts given by so many members here, we could hang out in the most likely places we could find the infamous old man.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast