Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ever met an old man who ask you how to walk to Hougang?

Quote Originally Posted by ericp
    C'mon guys, be nice. What's $5 ? One bak-chor mee and a couple of kopis ? He has to work hard to figure out who to target, you know ?
    :
    1 pax = $5
    1 day 30 pax = $150-00
    1 month 30 days = $4,500-00
    this is easy work (believe me, $2k a month is possible)
    DON'T encourage these ppl to be con-man by pitying them ... and forget about the argument about just $1 only .....

anyone can tell whether any guy/couple is in real need of help by just talking to them about their problem ... i think most of us will even drive them home if we know they are serious.
    Always say no to them first and they will immediately react by telling you more fantastic stories ... and you should just ignore them immediately. Don't feel proud that you have been conned!
    Probably next time when any guy asked me about going to AMK or Hougang, I am going to start asking him ..." Uncle you got $5 for me to go to Jurong or not ... i short of money" before he ask from me...
    always the Light, .... always.

Deregistered

why dont some of you guys who are in the beach road area, set up a photo trap and do a scoop on this, and publish this in TNP?

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    why dont some of you guys who are in the beach road area, set up a photo trap and do a scoop on this, and publish this in TNP?

Yes...it should be done!! just like the recent 20+ young begger in orchard road...Feel like bashing him up esp he said, " Why should i work when i can get money this way?"

Default Okay....This is hilarous....!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    He is a CON-man.
    Last week he walked toward me along Beach Road and asked me how to travel to Ang Mo Kio. I told him to take a train and he asked me for $5 for the fare. I have seen too many con-ppl in my life and so I said no. The next moment he blarred out all kind of hokkien #$^*&@#$%^& at me so loudly at the bus-stop that I nearly gave him a wrack with my camera gear. I told him that I am calling the police with my hp .... and he just walked away continuing with his profanities, .....
    PPL here, dont answer his question if you ever met again ..... small-built, short skinny forites/fifties guy. Just ignore him or if you have more ppl just give him the English @#%$%^&&*+ before he let go his hokkien!

Any CS member who took his photo and post it here will be rewarded with a bowl of barchormee + kopi-o from me at the next seed!
    Oh my God!!!.....

I actually have that encounter a few weeks back on a Friday afternoon on my way to the mosque for Friday Prayers at noon.....

This not so tall DARK TAN man....asked me....(BTW i am in queenstown at thea time of incident) " Ex...kiu mi....from here hah...how to walk to Ang Mo Kio...???

Not thinking of anything strange......just answered.....uncle....i think its too far to walk from here.....You can take bus number 153....and then it will go this direction - while pointing to thie direction.......next moment he blared in English + Hokkian......."Wah...you siouw hah....if i can take bus....what for i ask you .....

I was stunned for asecond....he then walked off....

Strange man i thought !!!!!

Small world...

rds,
    sh

I agree with Canonised, this man is really a con. If he just needed to fill his stomach, he wouldn't be asking for $5. He would take any amount you give him. Furthermore, there are lots of people like him who make more money this way than even the uncles and aunties who earn their money honestly by collecting/washing dishes at food centres. This is because there are many people who are soft at heart and blind at spotting cons. I met a man, who was too young to be considered old, in Anson Road asking for walking directions to Ang Mo Kio. I don't believe he is so stupid to end up so far away. And I wasn't stupid to be conned by him also. If someone is really lost and need help getting home, you can simple pick up a public phone and call the police to help you out. I think people need to wake up and stop being submissive to this kind of cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by sulhan
    Oh my God!!!.....

I actually have that encounter a few weeks back on a Friday afternoon on my way to the mosque for Friday Prayers at noon.....

This not so tall DARK TAN man....asked me....(BTW i am in queenstown at thea time of incident) " Ex...kiu mi....from here hah...how to walk to Ang Mo Kio...???

Not thinking of anything strange......just answered.....uncle....i think its too far to walk from here.....You can take bus number 153....and then it will go this direction - while pointing to thie direction.......next moment he blared in English + Hokkian......."Wah...you siouw hah....if i can take bus....what for i ask you .....

I was stunned for asecond....he then walked off....

Strange man i thought !!!!!

Small world...

rds,
    sh
    Sulhan, you should have told him to run behind the bus since he couldn't take it!!!!

i believe if it is true case ... ask him to go to the police station/post and the police should help

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Newman
    Sulhan, you should have told him to run behind the bus since he couldn't take it!!!!
    haha, that's a good one!

but also, i suggest calling in the cops, they'll probably give him a few hours' free accomodation at the police station...

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    haha, that's a good one!

but also, i suggest calling in the cops, they'll probably give him a few hours' free accomodation at the police station...

free meals indented too !

1 pax = $5
    1 day 30 pax = $150-00
    1 month 30 days = $4,500-00
    this is easy work (believe me, $2k a month is possible)
    DON'T encourage these ppl to be con-man by pitying them ... and forget about the argument about just $1 only .....

anyone can tell whether any guy/couple is in real need of help by just talking to them about their problem ... i think most of us will even drive them home if we know they are serious.
    Always say no to them first and they will immediately react by telling you more fantastic stories ... and you should just ignore them immediately. Don't feel proud that you have been conned!
    Probably next time when any guy asked me about going to AMK or Hougang, I am going to start asking him ..." Uncle you got $5 for me to go to Jurong or not ... i short of money" before he ask from me...

I totally agree with u, Canonised. He is earning more than me!!!

I agree to set up a trap for this old man as well. I work at Shaw Tower along Beach road. I dun mind walking to the Beach road hawker center everyday for a week, catching this conman by taking pictures of him. The prob is, how to proove he is guilty?

I checked the Singapore Police Force website this is the number listed for beggars / vagrants 1800 - 478 5379. Im not sure if begging is illegal in Singapore but intimidation and threatening is.

NEVER let any of these people get away with abuse. You may think its ok to let it slide but they could be praying on children or women so make sure you take action.

A few cases I encountered also there was this guy who looked slightly retarded who would frequent the CBD area asking for $1. He pretends to be retarded and he will often grab your arm and demand the money from you. 9 times out of 10 you will give just so that he will let go because he looks really dirty.

Canonised is right.. They're making thousands of dollars tax free. dont ever let them get away with it.

Technically he is not a begger nor a vagrant. He is juz someone who is lost and "sadly" not enough $$$, so need to borrow from you .... maybe he can even ask the Policeman for the $5 and that's not illegal either.
    actually no one (including the Police) can do anything to him even if he was "caught". We just hope that someone will take a full-frame potrait photo of him and post it here so that others won't be conned (he is absolutely Hokkien abusive, so beware, you may get a shock when he reacts in front of many ppl in the bus-stop. For ppl who want to learn how to swear in Hokkien maybe can consult him.). Very easy to spot him, he is usually at the bus-stop in front of Jalan Sultan Centre and he will normally approach single woman or "gentle" man.
    Last edited by Canonised; 18th October 2004 at 05:36 PM.
    always the Light, .... always.

Making an appeal out for those who have telephoto lens

i've met an even stranger person. this time at bras brasah centre. he asked if i could help him, and showed me a piece of paper with two words written on it (forgotten the exact words). he asked if i could tell him, if the two words are the same, and if they are not, if they are pronounced the same way. so i told him, not the same but similiar pronounciation. then he showed me another piece of paper and asked if there are any similar words to those written on the first one. so i said, yes. then he thanked me and walked away. and i thought he wanted to ask for money or something.

Well, I'm not sure if anyone of you had such encounter like mine. some months ago, I think it was around mid-year, at Bugis ( 四马路 ), the road between the hawker/market and Bugis Village. A lady, age about 18-20 asking for money. Her story was that her mother was hosiptalised and she had no money to buy food and pay for the bills. She looked very dirty, patches of black dirt all over her. Then, about few weeks later, I saw her at that same area with that same look and clothings. She spoke good english when she approaches me.

Met a pretty big sized guy in his late 20s. Also asked for direction then said no money. Said needed $ to take bus, so i have him enuf for bus fare. Then he said not enuf, later need to take MRT!!! So I told him I also need money to go buy ciggarettes, and walked in a nearby 7-11, ignoring him.

Damn! How come there are so many of these people around? Should we all gather n whack them with our tripods?

ok, my turn to share funny story

long long ago, I was taking bus 317 to Serangoon Gardens, then there is this lady about 40+, quite plum, but dressed in an old faded dress. She went around the bus asking for money "to buy chicken rice for mother" (in mandarin), she was asking for 2$, I saw someone giving her money, but I didn't as I was quite young, so 2$ was quite a big thing.

Then when I was done, I took the bus out and I saw her there, her story changed to "to buy chicken rice for father" (in mandarin), when she saw me I think she recognize me and she just skipped me when she reached me kekeke...

ok, now for saw story.... just lost my wallet hope some kind soul would return to me

Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    Met a pretty big sized guy in his late 20s. Also asked for direction then said no money. Said needed $ to take bus, so i have him enuf for bus fare. Then he said not enuf, later need to take MRT!!! So I told him I also need money to go buy ciggarettes, and walked in a nearby 7-11, ignoring him.

Damn! How come there are so many of these people around? Should we all gather n whack them with our tripods?
    count me in if you're organising one.

... (he is absolutely Hokkien abusive, so beware, you may get a shock when he reacts in front of many ppl in the bus-stop. For ppl who want to learn how to swear in Hokkien maybe can consult him.)...
    If he crosses my path, I will teach him some English and Hokkien expletives he has never come across before. 'Li na beh, ka lim beh toh lui!'

Quote Originally Posted by Newman
    If he crosses my path, I will teach him some English and Hokkien expletives he has never come across before. 'Li na beh, ka lim beh toh lui!'
    Are you trying to teach us some also?

so.... does anyone know how to walk to Hougang from here?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast