Thread: What happens if you leave your shutter open for ~Infinity?

Default What happens if you leave your shutter open for ~Infinity?

So I was bored, and wondering, if you have a magic camera that can somehow manage to increase its shutter speed to ridiculously long time like a few hrs, days, or months, what would the eventual photo be?

Will it be all black from dust? or all white?. Assuming that it is in a permanently lit place?

Default Re: What happens if you leave your shutter open for ~Infinity?

Quote Originally Posted by guanyou View Post
    So I was bored, and wondering, if you have a magic camera that can somehow manage to increase its shutter speed to ridiculously long time like a few hrs, days, or months, what would the eventual photo be?

Will it be all black from dust? or all white?. Assuming that it is in a permanently lit place?
    Obviously it will be seriously overexposed and you will get a white frame.

For most scenarios anyways.

You can check out some of the pinhole camera projects to get some idea of what doing this deliberately can yield..... Let me dig up some links for you..
    Last edited by edutilos-; 13th September 2011 at 03:00 PM.

it's already in the camera. it's called...

BULB Mode.

but you would need to charge the camera via a power adaptor... and the sensor has to withstand massive overheating and other issues.

If you're talking about it technically in a room, then assuming that you get a result with proper exposure, then it depends on the relative amount of time the objects in the photographs are there, along with relative brightness.

For example, if I shoot a 24 hour exposure and the person is sleeping for say, 8 hours, then it will essentially be the same outcome as a 30 second exposure where the person is lying on the bed for 10 seconds (1/3 of total time). All other things equal.

It's not that hard to visualise motion when you perceive it in slices of time, overlapping it in your mind - this previsualisation will also go a long way in getting the results you want from long-er exposures, be it for landscape photography, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Photographic paper, those used for printing photos?

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Photographic paper, those used for printing photos?
    Dunno leh, I'm not very interested in this thing... But Justin Quinell has a website, I came across it earlier when searching... You can check it out, he has a how-to-do-this page.

The answer is UNKNOWN. Since it's for Infinity, means most likely the Universe would have shrink down from the most recent big bang and another big bang in the reverse direction. When everything had shrunk into a singularity, by theory it will be totally destroyed. So the conclusion is "I DO NOT KNOW"

D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

shutter left open for 2yrs:
    http://www.wesely.org/wesely/gruppe....potsdamerplatz

but b4 that, gotta rehearse with 1yr shutter, and b4 that, 1/2yr and b4 that..

Your premise to begin with is false. For a device to operate infinitesimally it must be supplied with an infinitesimal source of energy-even if we grant you the supposition true that space and time extends infinitesimally-however, energy source are not
    infinite so therefore, such a device cannot be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio View Post
    Your premise to begin with is false. For a device to operate infinitesimally it must be supplied with an infinitesimal source of energy-even if we grant you the supposition true that space and time extends infinitesimally-however, energy source are not infinite so therefore, such a device cannot be true.
    TS already said that it is magic. Magic you know, like those in Alice in Wonderland, Bambi, Dumbo, Cinderella, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Three Little Pigs, etc...
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

TS did say it's ~Infinity ... almost infinity?

Then again questions about infinity, time and energy sources always reminds me of that old classic:
    http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html
    Possibly one of the most fav short stories of all time, ad infinitum and all that jazz
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

The world ends in 2012.

Repent... For your (camera's) end is near... LOL

if you open the shutter for long periods of time... you'll look at the photo and see Sion staring back at you

U will become a happy man
    Canon 60D | And Legs as Lens to cover every single focal length i ever needs.