Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sending digital photos for printing

Quote Originally Posted by eagles_creek
    One more question on dpi....

Is it necessary or better to change the dpi number to 300 if the original number is say 180 ?

Or say if the lab's printer dpi setting is 300, then we will need to change our photo's dpi to 300 too?

I read in one of the photoshop articles that dpi setting under the image size menu is an instruction to the printer. So, a higher dpi will give better quality picture. Is this true?

Sorry....still abit confused abt the effect of changing that dpi number.
    Most of the lab uses 200-300dpi for printing thus 300dpi is usually the standard setting to optimise the image.

Thanks Nemesis32...

Send it to a good lab and tell them to crop for you...

My camera automatically churns out pics in 72dpi. So if i use photoshop to change it to 300dpi will there be any drop in quality? afterall it wasn't encoded in 300dpi.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Default 300dpi

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    My camera automatically churns out pics in 72dpi. So if i use photoshop to change it to 300dpi will there be any drop in quality? afterall it wasn't encoded in 300dpi.
    Anybody can help with this question?

I was told that infact quality should be better and picture should be sharper.

Anyone to endorse?

Anybody can help with this question?

I was told that infact quality should be better and picture should be sharper.

Anyone to endorse?
    Print quality depends upon total number of pixels in the image. Frontier prints at 300dpi. that means for 4R (4"x6") it needs 4x300 = 1200 pixels, 6x300 = 1800pixels i.e an image of 1200 x 1800 pixels will give you best possible quality of the print.

If you supply less than 1200 x 1800 pixels for 4R, Frontier will upsample your image data to 1200 x 1800 pixels. Any upsampling of image data (by Frontier or Photoshop) will degrade the print quality.

However if you supply more pixels than 1200 x 1800, Frontier will downsample your image data to 1200 x 1800 pixels. Any downsampling does not degrade print quality.

If you open your image in photoshop and go to image size, uncheck resampling first and then when you chage dpi setting you will see print size only will change and number of pixels remains the same.

hope it helps...

sanver

You are welcome Beyondgal....I am also newbie,so we all learn from each other and the experts here.

Just came back from Grace PhotoLab, sent my pics for printing after seeing my friend's nicely printed pics.

I must say Grace is good !!!

Very nicely printed,color reproduction is great and Simon of Grace is very helpful and friendly.

Eh......I don't get commision one......but a good lab deserves to be recommended !

Simon :

9872 8095 (HP)
    6774 1846 (Lab)

Free collection from your place for > 100 pieces.

Happy Printing !!!
    Does Grace do 4RDSC print? If yes, how much?

Actually, I find it's a textbook thing that they quote 300 ppi for printing high quality images. I've tried printing in labs using 180-250 ppi and I can't tell the difference.

300ppi may be ok for 4R printing. But if we stick to this convention for larger prints, even for just 8R, most digital cameras can't make it as I think you'd need more than 7MP.

Btw, do you all just leave the number of pixels intact (according to the resolution you selected when taking the images) in Photoshop and simply change the dimensions of your images based on the size you want to print? Or do you downsample, ie alter the resolution to reduce file size perhaps?

I read that downsampling actually also degrades the image. Quite confused on this one... Could someone pls clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by bornfree
    Does Grace do 4RDSC print? If yes, how much?
    I paid $0.35/ea for the 4RDSC prints from Grace.

That was a couple of months back thou.....you may call Simon up.

bumping this thread up - a couple of quick questions

1) how long does it take them to do the prints?

2) what's this new digital print album thing?

3) Should I bring the images in cdr/compactflash/sd card?

I'm looking to head out in an hour or so. Going to Peninsular/Funan/RafflesCity area. Any suggestions/help info would be great.

Thanks,
    Bob

* Should I pick up a 50 f1/8 lenses? I've been reading and it seems like a useful lense to have. I have a D70

Quote Originally Posted by THEMAN
    bumping this thread up - a couple of quick questions

1) how long does it take them to do the prints?

2) what's this new digital print album thing?

3) Should I bring the images in cdr/compactflash/sd card?

I'm looking to head out in an hour or so. Going to Peninsular/Funan/RafflesCity area. Any suggestions/help info would be great.

Thanks,
    Bob

* Should I pick up a 50 f1/8 lenses? I've been reading and it seems like a useful lense to have. I have a D70
    Hi Bob,

If you are referring to Grace Digital Lab, I would suggest you give Simon a call.

Simon :

9872 8095 (HP)
    6774 1846 (Lab)

I think turnaround time should depend on his current orders.But having said that, Simon will print for you ASAP. CDR would be best I think, though Simon did mentioned he accepts thumb-drives before.

As for this digital print album thingy, perhaps you are referring to those epix albums which are able to store digital pictures printouts of 6" x 4.5".

Normal 4R photo albums can only take in photos which measures 6" x 4", hence you would need to get those special albums to fit in that extra 0.5" in width.
    (As in pictures from non-DSLR cameras)

However, since you are using D70, I believe your printouts should be 6" x 4" in 4R size. My friend prints his pics from D70 into 6" x 4" sizes.

You might want to check with other D70 users in the Nikon section in case I am wrong.

You must be referring to the 50mm 1.8 lens. For canon, this is one of the most cheap lens which is pretty good optically. It's very light and 50mm is so call the standard focal length of our normal human eye vision. This lens kind of force you to walk around more.....don't think I need to carry on as I believe you should had read lots of thread abt this lens in this forum.

Hope these helps......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12