Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Trip to Zhang Jia Jie, Feng Huang old city and Shanghai

  1. #1

    Cool Trip to Zhang Jia Jie, Feng Huang old city and Shanghai

    Hi All,

    Will be travelling F&E during 17 to 25 sept 2011 to
    -Zhang Jia Jie (4D5N)
    -Feng Huang Old City (2D1N)
    -Shanghai (1D2N)

    Can someone advice where can i go and take nice pictures of Scenery/culture/people etc
    What are the good food (restaurants/street food etc)

    Shoud i bring Nikon 17-55mm F2.8 Vr or Sigma 10-20 mm f4-5.6 ? i be bringing my filters,tripod and Nikon 70-300VR2 lens and flash.

    Nikon lens selling price in China cheaper than Hongkong? if yes, location? otherwise i will get it from HK in my Oct trip.
    thanks..

  2. #2

    Default Re: Trip to Zhang Jia Jie, Feng Huang old city and Shanghai

    I am only familar with Shanghai.

    The most famous in Shanghai of coz will be the Bund. Most people will go to the Bund(外滩) itself on the PU XI(浦西)which is on the west side of Huang Pu river. But to capture the whole scenery of the Bund, you need to the Pu Dong(浦东) which is on the east side of the Huang Pu river.

    just take the subway train to Lu Jia Zui 陆家嘴 station... it's walking distance to the river side

  3. #3

    Default Re: Trip to Zhang Jia Jie, Feng Huang old city and Shanghai

    spend more time at FengHuang. The nite scene is to die for ZhangJia Jie is overrated.
    Just shoot.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Trip to Zhang Jia Jie, Feng Huang old city and Shanghai

    Quote Originally Posted by photoart View Post
    I am only familar with Shanghai.

    The most famous in Shanghai of coz will be the Bund. Most people will go to the Bund(外滩) itself on the PU XI(浦西)which is on the west side of Huang Pu river. But to capture the whole scenery of the Bund, you need to the Pu Dong(浦东) which is on the east side of the Huang Pu river.

    just take the subway train to Lu Jia Zui 陆家嘴 station... it's walking distance to the river side
    Yup, intend to go to the bund and Pudong. thanks for the information. any photos to share?

    Quote Originally Posted by litechaser View Post
    spend more time at FengHuang. The nite scene is to die for ZhangJia Jie is overrated.
    believe so too...looking at the pictures online...seems overrated for ZJJ. But photos for FH seems lesser..Guess less commercialised..ait tickets and hotel booked so cant change anymore..got to stick with the current plan.
    any photos to share?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Trip to Zhang Jia Jie, Feng Huang old city and Shanghai

    Quote Originally Posted by NikonSG View Post
    believe so too...looking at the pictures online...seems overrated for ZJJ. But photos for FH seems lesser..Guess less commercialised..ait tickets and hotel booked so cant change anymore..got to stick with the current plan.
    any photos to share?
    Fenghuang is very photogenic and a must-see place. One of the best water-towns in China. If you are staying there, make sure you stay in one of the hotels or inns that are in or near the actual ancient town. The more modern part of the town has better hotels but are further away from the ancient town. Nothing to see and do in the modern part of Fenghuang.
    These are some of the photos of my visit there.
    http://www.pbase.com/pschia/fenghuang

    I don't agree that ZJJ is overrated. In fact I prefer ZJJ to Huangshan if you are going to see the fantastic mountain sceneries. ZJJ is more commercially developed for tourism but this makes the trip for the normal tourists more comfortable and enjoyable. The concentration of fantastic mountain scenes at ZJJ is much more than at Huangshan and are accessible by coaches unlike in Huangshan where tourists have to trek half a day just to see some mountain scenes along one route, then trek another half a day to see some others on another route, and so on. Heck, at Huangshan, there are no coaches allowed and you have to trek for half an hour at least to reach your hotel from the cable car station. Good for people who likes to rough it out but terrible for old folks and those who like a less torturous trip.

    While at ZJJ, don't forget to look out for the Avatar Hallelujah Mountain in Yuanjiajie which inspired the famous floating mountain of Pandora in the movie Avatar.



    Another place you must try to see at ZJJ is the awe inspiring Tianmenshan (pic below), accessible directly via the world's tallest and longest cable car ride from ZJJ city itself.



    Other photos from my ZJJ trip here:
    http://www.pbase.com/pschia/zhangjiajie
    Last edited by tomcat; 12th September 2011 at 04:36 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Trip to Zhang Jia Jie, Feng Huang old city and Shanghai

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Fenghuang is very photogenic and a must-see place. One of the best water-towns in China. If you are staying there, make sure you stay in one of the hotels or inns that are in or near the actual ancient town. The more modern part of the town has better hotels but are further away from the ancient town. Nothing to see and do in the modern part of Fenghuang.
    These are some of the photos of my visit there.
    http://www.pbase.com/pschia/fenghuang

    I don't agree that ZJJ is overrated. In fact I prefer ZJJ to Huangshan if you are going to see the fantastic mountain sceneries. ZJJ is more commercially developed for tourism but this makes the trip for the normal tourists more comfortable and enjoyable. The concentration of fantastic mountain scenes at ZJJ is much more than at Huangshan and are accessible by coaches unlike in Huangshan where tourists have to trek half a day just to see some mountain scenes along one route, then trek another half a day to see some others on another route, and so on. Heck, at Huangshan, there are no coaches allowed and you have to trek for half an hour at least to reach your hotel from the cable car station. Good for people who likes to rough it out but terrible for old folks and those who like a less torturous trip.

    While at ZJJ, don't forget to look out for the Avatar Hallelujah Mountain in Yuanjiajie which inspired the famous floating mountain of Pandora in the movie Avatar.



    Another place you must try to see at ZJJ is the awe inspiring Tianmenshan (pic below), accessible directly via the world's tallest and longest cable car ride from ZJJ city itself.



    Other photos from my ZJJ trip here:
    http://www.pbase.com/pschia/zhangjiajie
    Thanks for sharing the nice pictures..How wide did you use for your lens normally? i am still hesitating of bringing either Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 or Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 vr lens. Will bring my 70-200vr2 f2.8 nikon for closeups. Overall i want to be as light as possible during the journey. is it tiring to climb up and down with your gears?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Trip to Zhang Jia Jie, Feng Huang old city and Shanghai

    Quote Originally Posted by NikonSG View Post
    Thanks for sharing the nice pictures..How wide did you use for your lens normally? i am still hesitating of bringing either Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 or Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 vr lens. Will bring my 70-200vr2 f2.8 nikon for closeups. Overall i want to be as light as possible during the journey. is it tiring to climb up and down with your gears?
    I do bring along my 70-200mm on most of my trips if I could because I'm kiasu but find that most of the time I would only use it for less than 5% of the time. This is mainly because I like to take landscape shots most of the time and in China, there are so many photographic opportunities that beg for the use of as wide an angle a lens as possible to take it all in. Then there are those times when you are inside a building and that restricts how far back you can retreat to take a shot and again the wide angle or UWA comes in useful and a telezoom is totally useless.

    The telezoom is only useful when you want to zoom in to something from afar or maybe to take some portrait shots. In a landscape, you can still 'zoom in' by cropping a shot taken with a standard zoom or wide angle zoom but you can't expand the coverage of a telezoom to recapture whatever that's outside the coverage of the telezoom. The Nikon 70-200mm VR2 is an extremely heavy and bulky lens to bring along and adds to the burden you need to bear throughout the trip. If you are fit and healthy and is used to lugging all your gears along with you on trips, then there might not be a problem. Otherwise, of the 3 lenses, I would drop the 70-200mm simply because the frequency of usage is so low.

    Trekking at ZJJ is not so bad with heavy photographic gears because coach transport is available and the gradient of most of the treks is very gentle. The only time I had problem was climbing the 999 steps up to the big hole in the mountain at Tianmenshan. I ran out of breath 3/4 way up. Not enough aerobic and stairmaster training prior to the trip. It also doesn't help that the steps get narrower towards the top making the visitor feel like he is climbing a 999-step ladder up a cliff. A heavy bag pack of camera gear makes you top heavy and adds to the problem balancing and not falling backwards on the climb up.

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Trip to Zhang Jia Jie, Feng Huang old city and Shanghai

    Shanghai is one of the best travel hubs.

    Interesting cities within close reach of Shanghai:

    Shanghai University town
    Suzhou
    WuXi
    Hangzhou
    JiaXing
    Ningbo

    Interesting sights within Shanghai or close:

    Qibao old town
    Song Jiang movie city
    Zhouzhuang watertown
    ZhuJiaJiao watertown
    WuZhen watertown
    XiTang watertown
    Nanxun watertown
    Hangzhou West Lake (and the tons of points of interest around it)
    SheShan (snake mountain)
    Huangshan (yellow mountain)
    and many many more....

    There are many many other locations for photoshoots in the countryside. But you will need a car more than anything.

    If you want to shoot the bund, for sunrise or at night, you have to be situated on the Bund side (PuXi side).


    If you want to shoot sunset, you need to be situation on the Pudong side, at the area called BingJiangDaDao (滨江大道):


    Nanjing walking street is also great for photos.

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Trip to Zhang Jia Jie, Feng Huang old city and Shanghai

    Yuyuan (ChengHuangMiao) is also great to shoot at night when they turn on all the lights...


    You can also visit Qibao old town (七宝古镇) which is located in Shanghai city itself. One of the smaller water towns, but still enjoyable nonetheless.


    You can also take a 45min bus ride to Zhu Jia Jiao (朱家角) watertown. Very nice, but will take you almost half a day including travelling time:

  10. #10
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Trip to Zhang Jia Jie, Feng Huang old city and Shanghai

    Check out this thread on Shanghai. A lot of information in there, including tips on locations, how to get there, as well as where to shop for items, clothing and camera gear. It also covers Hangzhou briefly as well, including the must eat foods in HZ.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...-Shanghai-Trip

    Do note, the information in there is around 2+ years old. Some things has changed. For example, all the high speed rails and bullet trains will only depart and arrive at the new Hongqiao High Speed Rail Station. It is located at the Hongqiao international airport, and is connected at B1 to the airport as well as Hongqiao Metro (MRT) station along line 10. For high speed rails (any train number with D or G starting alphabet), you will need to show your passport when purchasing tickets (1 passport per ticket). This also means you cannot use the auto ticket selling machines, but have to line up at the very crowded lines. So give yourself ample time to get tickets etc...

    And you will need this... shanghai metro (mrt) map. http://www.exploreshanghai.com/metro/. If you have an iphone, there are several apps available on Shanghai public transportation system.

    My opinion, 1D2N in Shanghai is really too short. You can really spend 5-6 days in the golden delta area, visiting Westlake, Huangshan, the watertowns, thousand isle lake, tai lake as well as neighboring cities like Hangzhou, Suzhou and Wuxi...
    Last edited by daredevil123; 15th September 2011 at 10:55 AM.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat
    I do bring along my 70-200mm on most of my trips if I could because I'm kiasu but find that most of the time I would only use it for less than 5% of the time. This is mainly because I like to take landscape shots most of the time and in China, there are so many photographic opportunities that beg for the use of as wide an angle a lens as possible to take it all in. Then there are those times when you are inside a building and that restricts how far back you can retreat to take a shot and again the wide angle or UWA comes in useful and a telezoom is totally useless.

    The telezoom is only useful when you want to zoom in to something from afar or maybe to take some portrait shots. In a landscape, you can still 'zoom in' by cropping a shot taken with a standard zoom or wide angle zoom but you can't expand the coverage of a telezoom to recapture whatever that's outside the coverage of the telezoom. The Nikon 70-200mm VR2 is an extremely heavy and bulky lens to bring along and adds to the burden you need to bear throughout the trip. If you are fit and healthy and is used to lugging all your gears along with you on trips, then there might not be a problem. Otherwise, of the 3 lenses, I would drop the 70-200mm simply because the frequency of usage is so low.

    Trekking at ZJJ is not so bad with heavy photographic gears because coach transport is available and the gradient of most of the treks is very gentle. The only time I had problem was climbing the 999 steps up to the big hole in the mountain at Tianmenshan. I ran out of breath 3/4 way up. Not enough aerobic and stairmaster training prior to the trip. It also doesn't help that the steps get narrower towards the top making the visitor feel like he is climbing a 999-step ladder up a cliff. A heavy bag pack of camera gear makes you top heavy and adds to the problem balancing and not falling backwards on the climb up.
    Was thinking of bringing N17-55mm because of the f2.8 but not wide enough. If bring Sigma10-20mm, then I need to bring my N50mm f1.4. But this is not as versatile as N17-55mm.

    Are there opportunity to shot at night? Seems most of your photos are day, sunrise, or dusk. Ha

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123
    Check out this thread on Shanghai. A lot of information in there, including tips on locations, how to get there, as well as where to shop for items, clothing and camera gear. It also covers Hangzhou briefly as well, including the must eat foods in HZ.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...-Shanghai-Trip

    Do note, the information in there is around 2+ years old. Some things has changed. For example, all the high speed rails and bullet trains will only depart and arrive at the new Hongqiao High Speed Rail Station. It is located at the Hongqiao international airport, and is connected at B1 to the airport as well as Hongqiao Metro (MRT) station along line 10. For high speed rails (any train number with D or G starting alphabet), you will need to show your passport when purchasing tickets (1 passport per ticket). This also means you cannot use the auto ticket selling machines, but have to line up at the very crowded lines. So give yourself ample time to get tickets etc...

    And you will need this... shanghai metro (mrt) map. http://www.exploreshanghai.com/metro/. If you have an iphone, there are several apps available on Shanghai public transportation system.

    My opinion, 1D2N in Shanghai is really too short. You can really spend 5-6 days in the golden delta area, visiting Westlake, Huangshan, the watertowns, thousand isle lake, tai lake as well as neighboring cities like Hangzhou, Suzhou and Wuxi...
    Thanks for sharing your views n photos. Itinerary already fixed so I only have 2N1D to play around with. Perharps I just enjoy the bund and pudong area instead of going long distance. Next trip I will stay longer.

    What are the gears you brought when shooting in shanghai itself? Will there be any safety issue during the sunrise n dusk shooting? Alot of people still around? What is the sunrise timing like?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Trip to Zhang Jia Jie, Feng Huang old city and Shanghai

    Quote Originally Posted by NikonSG View Post
    Was thinking of bringing N17-55mm because of the f2.8 but not wide enough. If bring Sigma10-20mm, then I need to bring my N50mm f1.4. But this is not as versatile as N17-55mm.

    Are there opportunity to shot at night? Seems most of your photos are day, sunrise, or dusk. Ha
    Only at Fenghuang are there anything to shoot at night. You would need to bring a tripod along if you want to shoot at night there. The light-up there is very good at night though not as good as the one at Wuzhen water town.
    We were on a packaged tour and so there's nothing to shoot at night at ZJJ except for the cultural show at ZJJ which is very good if you like that kind of performance.

    This is probably when the 50-200mm might come in useful.

    More images of the cultural show and other itineraries on the tour here:
    http://www.pbase.com/pschia/hunan&page=1
    Last edited by tomcat; 15th September 2011 at 09:51 PM.

  14. #14
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Trip to Zhang Jia Jie, Feng Huang old city and Shanghai

    Quote Originally Posted by NikonSG View Post
    Was thinking of bringing N17-55mm because of the f2.8 but not wide enough. If bring Sigma10-20mm, then I need to bring my N50mm f1.4. But this is not as versatile as N17-55mm.

    Are there opportunity to shot at night? Seems most of your photos are day, sunrise, or dusk. Ha
    Shanghai is quite safe actually. And you still see people around. At this time of the year sunrise is around 5:45am. So you need to be there by 5:15am and by 5:30am you can start shooting the pre sunrise colors. Sunset is around 17:45pm. Don't worry about the bund, tons of people will be exercising at the bund way before you get there. And if you go on sunday or saturday morning, you will be in time to see drunk people walking out of the pubs and clubs at around 5+ to 6 am.

    Gears I brought depends. I have a home in Shanghai, so I get to pick and choose what to bring with me. Usually for landscape I will bring a 16-35/4 with my 28-75/2.8 with D700.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 19th September 2011 at 11:09 AM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Trip to Zhang Jia Jie, Feng Huang old city and Shanghai

    thanks all for the information. Went and back home now.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •