Thread: Andaman Sunset

Default Andaman Sunset

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Would like advice on how the long exposure went, was it too long/short (i exposed for 166s at f/20 and ISO100)? The colour was achieved by just playing around with the WB, but I'm unsure if it looks convincing/can be improved with photoshop. Also, how can I improve the composition of this shot

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Wanted to show the openness of the sky and try to do some justice to the beauty of the sunset (but please let me know if i managed to do that)

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Had been in Phuket for 3 nights or so already but it would always pour just before the sunset (so unfortunate ), but was really lucky that on the last night the sun had come out although the wind was very strong. Had only a couple of seconds to take photos while the sun was not hidden behind the clouds, so I decided to take the risk and go for a long exposure instead of a few normal shots.

I'm quite disappointed about the lack of a foreground subject though, as I initially intended to use a large piece of driftwood on the beach as a subject but couldn't get a proper exposure for the whole shot even with a GND. There weren't any boats/people in the water so I just went for the sun as the subject. Not sure how it turned out though because I personally feel that even for sunset shots it is often nicer to have a subject (at least a silouhette).

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I personally like the result of the long exposure, especially the way the clouds seem to 'envelope' the sun (which was, of course, by chance). But I do wish that the sun would have been rounder and I'm also not sure about the colours/lack of a subject (same as 3.)

But all in all I think it's quite an okay shot.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Andaman Sunset

Things that I like about this photo:
    1) the warm tones. gives a soothing and calming feeling to the shot.

Things which probably can improve:
    1) Needs a foreground interest or something, otherwise it feels a bit too empty
    2) despite the long exposure, the dramatic cloud movement not really shown. Mother Nature not entirely co-operative
    a) an issue with the long exposure is that if it's not immediately obvious that a long exposure was captured, it can look like unintentional blurring/softness.
    3) If you reduce the orange-ness of the water, that might help. Seems rather unnatural.
    Exploring! :)

it would be better if we can see the sun
    I shoot with my D300S . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

The trouble with this is that there isn't really a very strong anchor to capture interest.

If you capture the sky alone, it has to break balls to retain interest. This sky here is just not that spectacular.

thanks for the comments (:

hope to go back there (or somewhere there are more boats/people) and will definitely heed them

Agree that the sky is not that spectacular. Perhaps you could try some post-processing (gradual tint, bloom, deepen etc) to make the sky more spectacular?
    e.g.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye