Thread: Do you enjoy limitations?

Default Do you enjoy limitations?

Hi everyone, Jono here.

New to ClubSNAP, but keen to get to know you guys, so I just want to ask a few fun little questions.

1) What camera setup are you rocking at the moment?
    2) In what ways do you feel limited by it? Have you tried to get around these limitations in some way?
    3) Are those good limitations, and why?
    4) Upgrading? Are you able to?

--

As for me, I'm a poor student, but really wanting to get serious about photography. So I bought a 2nd hand (very 2nd hand, as in not well taken care of, but very cheap) 300D with kit lens to familiarise myself with DSLRs, and a 50mm f1.8 soon after that. This has been my setup for the last couple of years, and although the camera is old and worn and beat up, it has been something I carry around everywhere. Recently, I've been feeling limited in the form of my low light performance - noise is easily visible even at ISO 800, and the max ISO is 1600. Basically, shooting anything in low light with the kit lens yields grainy, noisy photos, which take lots of time in post-processing to achieve semi decent results. With the 50mm it's okay, although I do miss being able to capture everyone in group shots without having to press my back to the wall on the other side of the room.

I've been trying out a few settings to overcome this, like shooting in RAW and exposing one stop lower to increase shutter speed. It's a limitation that has forced me to think outside the box, to work on my posture and steadiness, and to think about where the lighting is in the room.

When I return to Singapore next year, I would like to take advantage of the cheaper price of electronics there and get a 60D maybe - just loving the tilting screen. But till then, I'll be furiously saving my cents.
    Hoping to be a portrait photographer in the future - just you wait and see!

Default Re: Do you enjoy limitations?

good luck in your endeavour !

I only have coverage from 10 to 55mm.

There are times when I really wish I can go further but can't do so.

But nvm, I'll get a 70-200 soon.

I see that you know your stuffs well. Hope you can overcome your limitations soon.

1) What camera setup are you rocking at the moment? - Sony A900 and A580 and (on loan) A77
    2) In what ways do you feel limited by it? Have you tried to get around these limitations in some way? - it meets my needs and shooting style.... I'm limited by not having enough free time to post process my shots!
    3) Are those good limitations, and why? - yeah, i'd say it's good. Means I have enough "keepers" to keep me occupied
    4) Upgrading? Are you able to? - Maaaaaybe. We'll see what 2012 holds.
    Alpha

1) Well, currently I am using the 7D as my primary camera. I do own a 40D, a 1000D and a EP-L1. My lens give me a coverage of 17mm right up to 300mm (420mm if you add in the x1.4 TC).

2) So far the only limitation I felt was that my skills sucks big time. I have all the equipments that I need and was befitting many of the professionals in the photography industry, but I still take average pictures (so sad).

3) And... well I am not going to upgrade anytime soon. My setup is very good and enough for all my needs.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

i enjoy limitation on "my gear" but there is no limit for creativity..hahahaa

1)I am currently using nikon d5000. My lens coverage from 18mm to 200mm.

2) Limitation so far is my poor skill.. haiz...

3)Upgrade.. i will in term of my skill and maybe a speedlight...
    Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

I use Sony a100 ($400) with 50mm f1.7 ($22.50) to teach strobist style cosplay portraits with $0 to $60 flashes, daiso $2 umbrellas and $25 DSLRKIT flash triggers from ebay and $30 Lightstand from Artworkfoto. It helps that I only shoot portraits to sell.

Blog Entries

WELCOME to Clubsnap !

I actually impose limitations (eg sticking to 28-70mm zooms or just short primes) on myself to force more thought into the image making process

...... and using smaller capacity memory cards......

Cameras ? Blindfold yourself and throw a dart ...... you cant go wrong with just about any brand nowadays
    Last edited by ed9119; 13th September 2011 at 07:57 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

1) What camera setup are you rocking at the moment?

Canon digital and old 6x9 RFs

2) In what ways do you feel limited by it? Have you tried to get around these limitations in some way?

I am limiting my setup While digital is more forgiving and easier to work with , film imposes their set of rules for one to follow within for optimal results.

3) Are those good limitations, and why?

Yes, forces me to rethink how i can shoot better to raise my own limit a little ..

4) Upgrading? Are you able to?

As long as I dun get too complacent , yes I am upgradable
    Maybe I should get a 4x5 to try next time ..