Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommened F stop

Default Re: Recommened F stop

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    Hi seniors,

I'm using a nikon 50mm 1.4 to take portrait shots. Apparently due to being 1.4 F stop other parts of the face features are blurish. This happen most of the time when I'm taking 2 ppl at the same time. What F stop will you guys recommend me to use?

Thanks
    I had the same experience/problems as you before.
    Was told that either you use a tele-zoom with lower aperture (i.e. f/4) or if you want to stick to 50mm, use f/2.8.

As least at f/2.8 the face can be in-focused.

Hi all, google for aperture size vs pixel size and see

Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi all, google for aperture size vs pixel size and see
    The relationship of aperture size to the diffraction limit determined by pixel density is pretty well documented, and the online resources explain it clearly and do not jumble it up with other concepts the way you did.

For example, there is no website that will state a lens' aperture range is "covered with MP, APSC sensor, whether 16, 18 or even 24MP. ". Your statement is word salad and makes no sense.

Also, there will not be any ridiculous statement like "Therefore, the lens 50mm f1.4 is for how many MPs in the APSC sensor".

Please do not post unless you know what it is you are talking about and can express it clearly and in an understandable way.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 10th October 2011 at 06:44 PM.
    Alpha

Hi all, I got this "D60's AOS-C snesor is too small to stop down to below f11" from photography-on-the.net/forum/archieve/index.php/t-2849.html My 60D is 18MP on APSC sensor

Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi all, I got this "D60's AOS-C snesor is too small to stop down to below f11" from photography-on-the.net/forum/archieve/index.php/t-2849.html My 60D is 18MP on APSC sensor
    Please consider the entire context of that post ("archive" is not spelled as "archieve", please learn to just copy-paste the link correctly). He is not saying that it CANNOT stop down smaller, but specifically that he starts to see diffraction from then onwards. This is related to pixel density. However, the camera DOES NOT prevent the lens from stopping down further, and you would need to be a very serious pixel-peeper to notice the diffraction at that point. He is simply stating that you no longer have the optimal resolution of 5lp/mm but that matters more for very large fine prints where you are extremely peculiar about resolution.

The context you are taking it to is basically like taking an entire dictionary and only focusing on the word "aardvark" without considering the definition or the rest of the words, and then not applying your own experience and common sense.

Ergo, the lens aperture is STILL NOT limited in anyway by the format or MP of the sensor. The only difference is at what point diffraction becomes noticeable.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 10th October 2011 at 07:29 PM.
    Alpha

To be brutally honest: Please don't give advice unless you actually understand what the question is, and what the answers you are giving actually mean.
    Alpha

As an example:

q: "When shooting at f/1.4, i realize the DOF is too thin. What aperture do you recommend?"
    Your answer: "Aperture is limited by your sensor! 50mm f/1.4 is for what sensor? You cannot stop down beyond f/11!" (wrong on all counts...)
    Alpha

Hi all, Relation means they work together to get the best possible IQ like what Ricoh did is to integrate them and match them to achieve the best IQ.

Blog Entries

TS is asking about Depth of Field... and Mr Soh is talking about diffraction... One asking about apples, another talk bananas.

Hi, Goodnut is more stupid not to understand that a word has many meanings, denotations, connotations and implications and no need to have a PhD

Quote Originally Posted by henry soh
    Hi, Goodnut is more stupid not to understand that a word has many meanings, denotations, connotations and implications and no need to have a PhD
    Is this guy real????

Quote Originally Posted by qystan

Is this guy real????
    He complete lost me the moment he posted. Interesting thread though ^^. Well the first page of it at least
    There are no bad photographers, only photos that could've been done better
    My Flickr

Hi, Trying to show you know better and discrediting others. Professionals don't post here. They have their own website like Dpreview.
    Only those who don't or know little post here including myself. They use their time to write on their own.

Hi, Trying to show you know better and discrediting others. Professionals don't post here. They have their own website like Dpreview.
    Only those who don't or know little post here including myself. They use their time to write on their own.
    Ayia but I'm sure there are professionals here who are willing to help out the newbies yes? And I'm sure that there are also people speaking from experience here ^^
    My Flickr

Hi, A range of lens f-stop is covered with MP, APSC sensor, whether 16, 18 or even 24MP. Therefore, the lens 50mm f1.4 is for how many MPs in the APSC sensor. For an 18MP APSC sensor, the pixel size is too small to stop below f11 to avoid diffraction, degradation, etc You can compare on a tapestry hang on a wall. The aperture size is related to the pixel size on the sensor. It is for fine tuning your images with the pixel size of sensor available.
    Many will agree that always read with a pinch of salt, things on the Internet. In this case, all of the Dead sea salt may not be enough.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Hi all, Newbees can decide on their own to see what is right or wrong. I was a wannabee when I first started. Not only this case, other threads are the same. I can take it with a pitch of salt. But can the other take it. Take it together then.

I guess it also takes a certain responsibility in what each of us post, for this is public forum. If you want to post some 'facts' at least try your best to ensure that the details are right before posting as an "answer" to TS's question. If you are not sure of your answer then maybe phrase it in a way such that you are trying to ask for help to correct any misconceptions.

This is to ensure that newbies who visit this page do not get wrong information which could "ruin" Clubsnap's information reliability. Once the seniors here start to point out a mistake, maybe you should take a 2nd look and see what's wrong with your information rather than to argue back without solid evidence as back up. I guess the "arguing back" part stirs up more fire compared to posting wrong information.

Hi all, Newbees can decide on their own to see what is right or wrong. I was a wannabee when I first started. Not only this case, other threads are the same. I can take it with a pitch of salt. But can the other take it. Take it together then.
    Cmon man. I think we should all just give and take y'know. I'm sure that we are all here to learn you included. Anyway this is j
    A discussion forum. You need to loosen up really
    My Flickr

Guys,

There are more posts in here addressing henry soh than TS' query. Just to highlight, y'know?

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-
    Guys,

There are more posts in here addressing henry soh than TS' query. Just to highlight, y'know?
    Whoops. Realized. Sorry
    My Flickr

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast