Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 79

Thread: Recommened F stop

  1. #1

    Default Recommened F stop

    Hi seniors,

    I'm using a nikon 50mm 1.4 to take portrait shots. Apparently due to being 1.4 F stop other parts of the face features are blurish. This happen most of the time when I'm taking 2 ppl at the same time. What F stop will you guys recommend me to use?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  3. #3
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    Hi seniors,

    I'm using a nikon 50mm 1.4 to take portrait shots. Apparently due to being 1.4 F stop other parts of the face features are blurish. This happen most of the time when I'm taking 2 ppl at the same time. What F stop will you guys recommend me to use?

    Thanks
    At 50mm f/1.4 the DOF is razor thin, especially when you're taking head-and-shoulder portraits. If you're taking a single person with f/1.4, you need to make sure both of the subject's eyes are about the same distance from the focal plane, otherwise one will be in focus while the other not. In fact for head-and-shoulder even f/2.8 will most of the time be too large, and I normally use f/4 or smaller. For 2 persons, you'll most probably need f/5.6 and smaller to give more allowance, and again you'll need to make sure they are about the same distance from the focal plane. For full body you can usually open up 1 stop (i.e. about f/2.8 for 1 person & f/4 for 2).
    Last edited by ziploc; 8th September 2011 at 11:01 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    Hi seniors,

    I'm using a nikon 50mm 1.4 to take portrait shots. Apparently due to being 1.4 F stop other parts of the face features are blurish. This happen most of the time when I'm taking 2 ppl at the same time. What F stop will you guys recommend me to use?

    Thanks
    Please read your manual. The section on "aperture" described depth of field too. Next, read the newbies guides to photography here on CS.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    Hi seniors,

    I'm using a nikon 50mm 1.4 to take portrait shots. Apparently due to being 1.4 F stop other parts of the face features are blurish. This happen most of the time when I'm taking 2 ppl at the same time. What F stop will you guys recommend me to use?

    Thanks
    As what other has suggested, read more on aperture and DOF yourself first...

    Second, it is really difficult to answer your question when none of us have any idea what is your environment when taking those pics... lighting (good, bad, dark, very bright, bright, etc), where your subjects are standing, what position - was it that 1 was infront and one behind or next to each other. And if it was one infront and one behind - how far away are they from each other.

    And we do not know your set up... do you have any flash, offshoe or on camera?

    So it is not possible to give you a f-stop accurately.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  6. #6

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    Bro do read up more on e basic. There's no magic number or auto mode in CS that can be given to u.

    Reason being, only u know wat u are trying to achieve in your photo. Try to experiment on changing the aperture and see the results. There's no shortcut in learning how to handle a SLR.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    I agree with AdyH. Go to a workshop or class on the basics at least. It is probably worth the investment. It is not that I think we don't want to teach but it is pretty limited on what we can do here if you don't understand the basics.

  8. #8
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    Hi seniors,

    I'm using a nikon 50mm 1.4 to take portrait shots. Apparently due to being 1.4 F stop other parts of the face features are blurish. This happen most of the time when I'm taking 2 ppl at the same time. What F stop will you guys recommend me to use?

    Thanks
    Suggest to try to make sure they are roughly in the same plane of focus, and stop down a bit, i.e. F/2.8-F/4...

    What is in focus materializes in "slices" parallel to your camera's sensor... So doing both of the above shoud help.

    P.S. Besides, 50mm f/1.4 is unlikely to be at its sharpest wide open.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    Hi, A range of lens f-stop is covered with MP, APSC sensor, whether 16, 18 or even 24MP. Therefore, the lens 50mm f1.4 is for how many MPs in the APSC sensor. For an 18MP APSC sensor, the pixel size is too small to stop below f11 to avoid diffraction, degradation, etc You can compare on a tapestry hang on a wall. The aperture size is related to the pixel size on the sensor. It is for fine tuning your images with the pixel size of sensor available.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, A range of lens f-stop is covered with MP, APSC sensor, whether 16, 18 or even 24MP. Therefore, the lens 50mm f1.4 is for how many MPs in the APSC sensor. For an 18MP APSC sensor, the pixel size is too small to stop below f11 to avoid diffraction, degradation, etc You can compare on a tapestry hang on a wall. The aperture size is related to the pixel size on the sensor. It is for fine tuning your images with the pixel size of sensor available.
    ??????????

  11. #11
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,389

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, A range of lens f-stop is covered with MP, APSC sensor, whether 16, 18 or even 24MP. Therefore, the lens 50mm f1.4 is for how many MPs in the APSC sensor. For an 18MP APSC sensor, the pixel size is too small to stop below f11 to avoid diffraction, degradation, etc You can compare on a tapestry hang on a wall. The aperture size is related to the pixel size on the sensor. It is for fine tuning your images with the pixel size of sensor available.
    Sorry, would be please, please read up about the very basics before posting such gibberish? The links provided above are a good starting point for you to spend time instead of reviving weeks-old threads. I remember this is not the first time ...
    EOS

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine
    Sorry, would be please, please read up about the very basics before posting such gibberish? The links provided above are a good starting point for you to spend time instead of reviving weeks-old threads. I remember this is not the first time ...
    Haha he has been trolling with info like this since long ago

  13. #13

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, A range of lens f-stop is covered with MP, APSC sensor, whether 16, 18 or even 24MP. Therefore, the lens 50mm f1.4 is for how many MPs in the APSC sensor. For an 18MP APSC sensor, the pixel size is too small to stop below f11 to avoid diffraction, degradation, etc You can compare on a tapestry hang on a wall. The aperture size is related to the pixel size on the sensor. It is for fine tuning your images with the pixel size of sensor available.
    HUH??? Please lah, you resurrect a 4-week old thread and then post nonsense. Don't try to confuse newbies, they may actually fall for this nonsense.
    Alpha

  14. #14
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    Oh no!! henry is BACK!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    Hi, What's wrong and I note what you say. Let others see and judge
    Last edited by henry soh; 10th October 2011 at 12:31 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    Seriously I dunno what's Henry is talking about. Anyone mind to help translate it?

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh
    Hi, A range of lens f-stop is covered with MP, APSC sensor, whether 16, 18 or even 24MP. Therefore, the lens 50mm f1.4 is for how many MPs in the APSC sensor. For an 18MP APSC sensor, the pixel size is too small to stop below f11 to avoid diffraction, degradation, etc You can compare on a tapestry hang on a wall. The aperture size is related to the pixel size on the sensor. It is for fine tuning your images with the pixel size of sensor available.
    You either have a PhD in digital photography or we are too stupid to understand what u talking about......

    Can explain in layman terms?

  18. #18
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, A range of lens f-stop is covered with MP, APSC sensor, whether 16, 18 or even 24MP. Therefore, the lens 50mm f1.4 is for how many MPs in the APSC sensor. For an 18MP APSC sensor, the pixel size is too small to stop below f11 to avoid diffraction, degradation, etc You can compare on a tapestry hang on a wall. The aperture size is related to the pixel size on the sensor. It is for fine tuning your images with the pixel size of sensor available.
    wah "jin chim ah"
    Lousy de My Flickr

  19. #19
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, What's wrong and I note what you say. Let others see and judge
    Long time no see mah... ;P

  20. #20

    Default Re: Recommened F stop

    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi, What's wrong and I note what you say. Let others see and judge
    Your explanation would only vaguely begin to be relevant to the topic if the aperture was the microlens size on the sensor. It's not, therefore what you said is basically salad.

    If you want a breakdown:

    Hi, A range of lens f-stop is covered with MP, APSC sensor, whether 16, 18 or even 24MP.

    No, there is ZERO relation to the aperture range of a lens and the MP/sensor size.


    Therefore, the lens 50mm f1.4 is for how many MPs in the APSC sensor.

    No, there is no relation. A 50mm f/1.4 is still a 50mm f/1.4 whether for aps-c, FF or film.

    For an 18MP APSC sensor, the pixel size is too small to stop below f11 to avoid diffraction, degradation, etc

    This comment on diffraction is probably the only relatively correct thing you've said, but has almost no link to the topic or the rest of your word salad.

    You can compare on a tapestry hang on a wall. The aperture size is related to the pixel size on the sensor. It is for fine tuning your images with the pixel size of sensor available.

    Nope, there is no relation to aperture fine-tuning an image based on pixel size. Totally "way out there".
    Alpha

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •