Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 74

Thread: u pay for the model or the model pay for u????

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    76

    Default u pay for the model or the model pay for u????

    Hey.....

    i find one veri interesting topic here?

    Why do photographer have to pay for the model?? I tot should be the other way round? I think if the photographer is new, yup, maybe u pay a little to the model..let her pose pose and let u shoot shoot to test lighting and wat so ever.............. but if u are reali professional...y pay for them?? i think they will pay for u in order to have nice pictures..............Am i right????

    To me, dun mind doing makeup for the model, in the same time i build up my portfolio as well, but i see no point doing the same makeup over and over again ...its doesnt reali built up my portfolio anymore.......... you should climb frm there...........


    Hahaha...... but if u see me doing the same make up again and again..its for the sake of living...not building up my portfolio hor......same goes to the photographers out there...................

  2. #2

    Default

    so cleber ger....... kekekek

  3. #3

    Default

    Hello! Hahaha.. so hm... which category do I qualify in? Model pay me or I pay for model?

    Seriously though, I mean to you, if you do the same make up over and over again, it doesn't build up your portfolio as a makeup artist. But to a photographer, doing a shoot of the same style over and over again, churning out the same styles over and over again is as good as not building up the portfolio. Especially since to build up the portfolio, you should show variety of shots

  4. #4

    Default

    for me still pay to shoot, wonder when will be the other way round

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    76

    Default hw are u???

    Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    so cleber ger....... kekekek
    hi...hw are u...long time neber hear frm u liao....

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    76

    Default Learn

    Quote Originally Posted by digipat2003
    for me still pay to shoot, wonder when will be the other way round

    hey...when u pay hor...make sure u learn smthing hor...dun juz shoot shoot shoot.....and shoot.......

    if lik tat hor..u sure pay for model until u see god..........

  7. #7

    Default

    hmmm....normally when paid jobs come...u more or less impose ya style on the model after awhile...coz after a certain amount of poses...the person u are doin the shoot for will run out of ideas if she/he's not professional...

    when paying for models, have to make sure tt they are pro and know wat they are doin....like tt u can see their style of posing and personality.....u learn something from it and bring it back to ya clients if it suits them...

    juz my 2 cts....

    basically non-paid jobs or shoots tt we pay.....its ok for me....coz as long as its fun....who cares....juz a tot about paying for shoots....muz learn something from it at least ya haha

    cheers!!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jiujiu
    hey...when u pay hor...make sure u learn smthing hor...dun juz shoot shoot shoot.....and shoot.......

    if lik tat hor..u sure pay for model until u see god..........
    noted jiujiu

  9. #9
    Member Jer76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    i'm still a newbie and not a professional so i haf to pay to shoot They have experience in posing and i can concentrating on shooting.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer76
    i'm still a newbie and not a professional so i haf to pay to shoot They have experience in posing and i can concentrating on shooting.
    Well, if they are professional models, am sure they have experience in posing... but I guess ultimately, when the time comes to press the shutter release, you have to gauge for yourself if that is the pose you want, and whether or not it achieves the mood and the frame you have in mind...

    Aimlessly firing off while letting a model do a random posing for you still gives you nothing in the end... you just end up with photos of a beautiful model, with her in front of some background... true that you can get a technically correct photos of a beautiful model, but you prolly already have had many of these technically correct photos to start with...

    Just my thots...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    866

    Default

    In every model photoshoot.. everyone(photographer/model/artist/organisor) will more or less gain something out of the session.. . be it learning.. .. building up personal portfolio.. for the S-11.. making friends.....and the FUN ! with everyone sharing and gaining..

    Although sometimes I do shoot friends or strangers with no money involved... i am still going for paid workshops or model shoots... as every shoot is a new experience to learn and improve... which i think i need alot of exposure to gain experience and get things rite.. and not forgetting sharing ideas amongst the "kakis"..Or so to say as long as got gain from the shoot i not so "gey-gao" as whether to pay or not ...Just my view..

    I feel money paid for the shoots is an appreciation or compensation to organisors and people behind the scenes tat make the shoot happen especially the model... alot of sacrifice to them like time.. rolling on the grass in bikini ..or doing a split and laugh out loud at the same time etc... so far the rates frm the organisors here is still fair and not too disappointing. Support Boleh!

    Well jiu jiu.. how about sharing some of yur art with me.. i like to create and experiment ..

  12. #12
    Member Jer76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imagine
    Well, if they are professional models, am sure they have experience in posing... but I guess ultimately, when the time comes to press the shutter release, you have to gauge for yourself if that is the pose you want, and whether or not it achieves the mood and the frame you have in mind...

    Aimlessly firing off while letting a model do a random posing for you still gives you nothing in the end... you just end up with photos of a beautiful model, with her in front of some background... true that you can get a technically correct photos of a beautiful model, but you prolly already have had many of these technically correct photos to start with...

    Just my thots...

    Well bro i'll have to take one step at a time slowly and i feel i do learn lots of stuff in those paid model shoots together with other CSers. Of course I would love to go for those fashion photography courses and learn about different moods and lighting but the cost of the courses are way off my budget so i'll have to self learn and figure it out myself. And please don't say "aimlessly firing off" coz that's the last thing i'll ever do

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jiujiu
    Hey.....

    i find one veri interesting topic here?

    Why do photographer have to pay for the model?? I tot should be the other way round? I think if the photographer is new, yup, maybe u pay a little to the model..let her pose pose and let u shoot shoot to test lighting and wat so ever.............. but if u are reali professional...y pay for them?? i think they will pay for u in order to have nice pictures..............Am i right????

    To me, dun mind doing makeup for the model, in the same time i build up my portfolio as well, but i see no point doing the same makeup over and over again ...its doesnt reali built up my portfolio anymore.......... you should climb frm there...........


    Hahaha...... but if u see me doing the same make up again and again..its for the sake of living...not building up my portfolio hor......same goes to the photographers out there...................
    Spot on I don't mind paying for a workshop but the model has to pay me for pictures (that's why I am a photographer). Think I have never paid for a model shoot except for two workshops.
    Last edited by tomshen; 14th October 2004 at 11:43 PM.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer76
    i'm still a newbie and not a professional so i haf to pay to shoot They have experience in posing and i can concentrating on shooting.
    In fact, I don't think models know how to pose, professional or whatever. It is the photographer who pose models. Pro models are at most easier to work with, but the decision is ultimately made by the photographer. A photographer should only hire a model when he/she has the concept, instead of relying on the models to "pose" for them.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imagine
    Well, if they are professional models, am sure they have experience in posing... but I guess ultimately, when the time comes to press the shutter release, you have to gauge for yourself if that is the pose you want, and whether or not it achieves the mood and the frame you have in mind...

    Aimlessly firing off while letting a model do a random posing for you still gives you nothing in the end... you just end up with photos of a beautiful model, with her in front of some background... true that you can get a technically correct photos of a beautiful model, but you prolly already have had many of these technically correct photos to start with...

    Just my thots...
    oops, same thought. But don't mention "aimlessly firing off" The results tell everything.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer76
    Well bro i'll have to take one step at a time slowly and i feel i do learn lots of stuff in those paid model shoots together with other CSers. Of course I would love to go for those fashion photography courses and learn about different moods and lighting but the cost of the courses are way off my budget so i'll have to self learn and figure it out myself. And please don't say "aimlessly firing off" coz that's the last thing i'll ever do
    Sorry for my wrong choice of words... my bad

  17. #17

    Default

    Well.....a model speaks up here..

    As for me, I just feel...who thinks is worth it?

    If a model feels is worth to engage a top photographer and to pay for great pictures to build up her portfolio, then of course the model pays the photographers.Just a gentle info, we models have to pay for our first portfolio when we started out this line. And this is where u, the professional photographers comes in cos the model agency will engage u to become their photographer =)

    If the photographer is new, building up his/her portfolio and feel that he should engage some good/top/famous models whereby he can show it to his client in future, then of course, money to be spent.

    I feel that everyone's expectation is different.

    Some models may just go shootings for fun without charging and doing "tfp". Provided u pay for all expenses and they just bring themselves and the outfits.

    Some models just want to charge charge charge...simi also charge...from drinking water to toilet paper also want to charge...

    Some great photographers dun mind paying the models and make them happy.

    Some photographers are "kiam", expect u to pay for the make-up artist, the studio, and everything...

    **Disclaimer: Above statements are just for entertaining purpose, it does not consist of anyone in this forum, outside or wherever.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    behind tiong bahru plaza
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poisonlady
    Well.....a model speaks up here..

    As for me, I just feel...who thinks is worth it?

    If a model feels is worth to engage a top photographer and to pay for great pictures to build up her portfolio, then of course the model pays the photographers.Just a gentle info, we models have to pay for our first portfolio when we started out this line. And this is where u, the professional photographers comes in cos the model agency will engage u to become their photographer =)

    If the photographer is new, building up his/her portfolio and feel that he should engage some good/top/famous models whereby he can show it to his client in future, then of course, money to be spent.

    I feel that everyone's expectation is different.

    Some models may just go shootings for fun without charging and doing "tfp". Provided u pay for all expenses and they just bring themselves and the outfits.

    Some models just want to charge charge charge...simi also charge...from drinking water to toilet paper also want to charge...

    Some great photographers dun mind paying the models and make them happy.

    Some photographers are "kiam", expect u to pay for the make-up artist, the studio, and everything...

    **Disclaimer: Above statements are just for entertaining purpose, it does not consist of anyone in this forum, outside or wherever.
    well said, poisonlady

    diff ppl, photogs & models, pros & wannabes incl, hv diff expectations & requiremts. so who pay who, or even free as in TFP, is the contract b/w photog & model. it takes 2 to tango!

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer76
    i'm still a newbie and not a professional so i haf to pay to shoot They have experience in posing and i can concentrating on shooting.
    I am not a professional and have no intention to be a professional.

    While I am not an absolute newbie, I am not "green" either.

    I pay to photograph. Not because the models know how to pose. I am absolutely not interested in that. Many of the pose shots are very cliche, and I find that absolutely boring. The kinds of poses the models do are precisely those I do not want. I pay the models because

    1 They are comfortable in front of the camera
    2 They can take my nonsense to ask them to do things which I want for my photographs.
    3 Some models have features which I want to photograph

    When I concentrate on shooting, I look at what I am looking at. Not the poses

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Town of Queens doing PORT-9YOU
    Posts
    12,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    I am not a professional and have no intention to be a professional.

    While I am not an absolute newbie, I am not "green" either.

    I pay to photograph. Not because the models know how to pose. I am absolutely not interested in that. Many of the pose shots are very cliche, and I find that absolutely boring. The kinds of poses the models do are precisely those I do not want. I pay the models because

    1 They are comfortable in front of the camera
    2 They can take my nonsense to ask them to do things which I want for my photographs.
    3 Some models have features which I want to photograph

    When I concentrate on shooting, I look at what I am looking at. Not the poses
    Well said.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •