Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 12-24 lens, Sigma or Nikon?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    299

    Default 12-24 lens, Sigma or Nikon?

    Hi there, I am planning to get a 12-24mm f4 lens to go with the D70. I am wondering in terms of technical specs, which is better? The Nikon or Sigma? Price wise, I know the difference. I just want the opinions of those who own either lens.

    For info, I only have photography as a hobby and don't make money from this hobby.

    Planning to use the 12-24mm lens for landscape photography when I travel, which is not too frequent.

    I want to know which makes offer me better value for money. Are there significant differences between the 2, with the understanding that the Sigma can be used for full-frame bodies in the future.

    Pse can I have your honest opinion and not the buy Nikon sales pitch pse. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Hi

    I am also curious abt this. From what i gathered, Nikon cannot be used for film but is sharper. Sigma cannot use front filter.

    Another new lens coming in is the Tokina 12-24mm, which might be our answer.

  3. #3

    Default

    i tested both n settled for the sigma..

    the sigma has less distortion at sides, as compared to nikon.
    n as sigma is meant to be a fullframe lens, when using digital wif 1.5x crop, u r actually only using the center of the lens which is supposed to be the sharpest.. but of cos, if u stop down, u will get even sharper images..

    here's a photo i shot at 12mm f4


    read this review for more info n samples.. but used wif canon..
    http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/R..._f4.5-5.6.html

    someone is going to come in n swear by Nikon loyalty....
    Last edited by hackie; 14th October 2004 at 04:23 PM.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    EAST
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Do consider the new tamron also

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Hackie, u using the Sigma with the D70 too? I am just curious as it says the Sigmas works very well with DSLR with crop factor...so it must beat the Nikon 12-24 when you tested it?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,952

    Default

    Do a search in the Nikon sub-forum, as there was an interesting discussion about the pros and cons of these two lenses which may help you decide.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff chen
    Hackie, u using the Sigma with the D70 too? I am just curious as it says the Sigmas works very well with DSLR with crop factor...so it must beat the Nikon 12-24 when you tested it?
    nope.. i'm using S2 pro (who bothers abt brand loyalty? they dun pay me loyalties! :P)

    the main thing abt the nikon 12-24 tat turns me off the major barrel distortion at wide.. its like a fisheye zoom! ok.. i exergerated a bit.. not tat distorted.. but almost there..

    pple will tell u tat to overcome this issue, dun place the landscape horizon at the edges.. but duh wat's the point of shooting landscape with the horizon smack in the center?? then others will point out tat ur composition doesn't follow Rules of the 3rd.. etc etc etc.. photoshop works wonder..but u sure u wanna sit at the PC whole day trying to correct each photo?

    i'm not saying the sigma is without its flaws.. its huge n the front is like a lightbulb.. the 82mm thread makes it expensive to buy filters..wide open is not pin sharp..
    but to me, i dun really mind the brand as long as the lens works for me.. i have a afs vr 70-200 as well.. now, tats a superb lens
    Last edited by hackie; 14th October 2004 at 07:09 PM.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hackie
    nope.. i'm using S2 pro (who bothers abt brand loyalty? they dun pay me loyalties! :P)

    the main thing abt the nikon 12-24 tat turns me off the major barrel distortion at wide.. its like a fisheye zoom!

    pple will tell u tat to overcome this issue, dun place the landscape horizon at the edges.. but duh.. wat's the point of shooting landscape with the horizon smack in the center?? then others will point out tat ur composition doesn't follow Rules of the 3rd.. yada yada yada...

    i'm not saying the sigma is without its flaws.. its huge n the front is like a lightbulb.. the 82mm thread makes it expensive to buy filters..

    but to me, i dun really mind the brand as long as the lens works for me.. i have a af vr 70-200 as well.. now, tats a superb lens

    So Hackie, do you have a filter that goes with the POPEYE? Tell me more about the Nikon 12-24 Barrel distortion...like a fisheye zoom? What do you mean by that? I am curious to know since I have heard so much fantastic stories about the Nikon...good to hear alternative views from someone who has tested both before buying...

  9. #9

    Default

    I have used a 67mm cir-pl with sigma 12-24 poppie at 12mm.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Nikon World Wide
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Wa ... interesting how to?

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Photominia
    Wa ... interesting how to?
    Sorry, missed this.

    Actually, you can just hold the cir-pl in front of the lens element and take the pic. Adjust the polarisation powering with your 2 hands first and take note of the position before placing it in front of the 12-24 of course. 12mm will still get the 4 corners cut off a bit but nothing too serious that it totally spoils the picture. With a 77mm cir-pl, it will not vignet.

    Better than nothing right? I can't even find a 82mm cir-pl without mail order.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Sorry, missed this.

    Actually, you can just hold the cir-pl in front of the lens element and take the pic. Adjust the polarisation powering with your 2 hands first and take note of the position before placing it in front of the 12-24 of course. 12mm will still get the 4 corners cut off a bit but nothing too serious that it totally spoils the picture. With a 77mm cir-pl, it will not vignet.

    Better than nothing right? I can't even find a 82mm cir-pl without mail order.

    82mm normal coating will set you back about $112.... shmc will set you back $250.....

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    82mm normal coating will set you back about $112.... shmc will set you back $250.....
    That's why i'd rather suffer. I am talking about cir-pl somemore. Actually, if you want protection, just leave the circular metal hood on and take off the dust cap. Quite difficult to poke something in lar.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    all around the world
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Hi Jeff,

    I had the same concerns as you did befire I settled for Sigma.

    (1) Nikon is extremely expensive. Even though I got it as part of my tool of trade, I still find nikon pretty expensive.

    (2) I still shoot film, thus having a full frame lens is more flexible when I want to switch between film & digital.

    (3) Filter has always been a concern for any wide angle lens. It doesnt only apply for sigma. You would need to get high quality & extremely thin filters to put on wide angle lens. And they cost a bomb no matter what. SO most of the time, I do not put a filter. All I do is take extra care.

    (4) So far, I have used sigma 12-24 for 2 assignments with my D100 body. I am extremely happy with the results. I have never used a Nikon 12-24DX before, but I am quite sure the results wont be too far off (unless you are really trying to pick bones out of an egg).

    These are just my personal opinion

    Hope they helps!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meepokman
    Hi Jeff,

    I had the same concerns as you did befire I settled for Sigma.

    (1) Nikon is extremely expensive. Even though I got it as part of my tool of trade, I still find nikon pretty expensive.
    Extremely? P (1650-1150) = $500 in difference. When you calculate in the price of filters...

    Quote Originally Posted by meepokman
    (2) I still shoot film, thus having a full frame lens is more flexible when I want to switch between film & digital.
    True. The Nikon will not serve here. But Jeff is using digital only isn't he?

    Quote Originally Posted by meepokman
    (3) Filter has always been a concern for any wide angle lens. It doesnt only apply for sigma. You would need to get high quality & extremely thin filters to put on wide angle lens. And they cost a bomb no matter what. SO most of the time, I do not put a filter. All I do is take extra care.
    False. A standard 77mm filters can be used on the Nikon w/o any issue. ND, Cir-pol, enhancement, etc from Hoya to Nikon to B+W.

    Quote Originally Posted by meepokman
    (4) So far, I have used sigma 12-24 for 2 assignments with my D100 body. I am extremely happy with the results. I have never used a Nikon 12-24DX before, but I am quite sure the results wont be too far off (unless you are really trying to pick bones out of an egg).

    These are just my personal opinion

    Hope they helps!
    Results will depend. Read DPReview on both view on this as well.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Thanks for all your comments so far.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •