Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel lens recommendation with focus on quality?

Default Re: Travel lens recommendation with focus on quality?

^^
    I would prefer a 24-70 on a d700
    He already has a 24-70 anway.

24-120 F4 VR on a D3S , now that would be killer . F4 would be no issue at all !
    Then just add a fast 35mm or 50mm prime for bokeh and lowlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua7D
    ^^

24-120 F4 VR on a D3S , now that would be killer . F4 would be no issue at all !
    The AF-S 24-120/f4 VR on any FX body would be able to cover 90% of most travel shooting. 24mm is wide enough for most landscape shots on a FX body. 120mm is long enough for some travel portraits. IMHO, if you want to carry just one lens for a travel trip, the 24-120 is it.
    Nikon (D3s, D700), Fujifilm (X-Pro 1, X-E1, GF670), Hasselblad (503CXi, 903SWC)

One of my favourite all-around lens is the NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR. In my opinion, it is a good all-around lens for overseas travel due to the following:

Streets: the 300mm focal, coupled with the DX-cropped body sensor of 1.5x gives you an effective 450mm focal length. This allows for non-discrete street photography at a distance of the street portraiture (locals on the street, kids interaction with parents or attractions, etc), culture (such as stalls on the streets, interaction between stall owners and customers, etc.). Not forgetting to add that the distance from you to your subject will allow your subjects to be very comfortable and candid as you are not sticking your DSLR close up at them! If nice bokeh is your thing, it's unfortunate that this lens' aperture does not stop down to f/2.8, but if you know the physics of getting shallow depth of field (BOKEH!), you will know that this lens at 300mm with aperture of f/5.6 will produce very decent bokeh.

Landscape
    : the 28mm may not be as wide compared to Tokina 11-16mm or Nikon 14-24mm, but it usually suffice! In cases where it is not wide enough, I'll take picture in portrait orientation and do an 1/3 overlap of the scene/subject in 4-5 pics, then stitch up in photoshop. That is my cheaper/lighter alternative to bringing the 14-24mm lens which is rather heavy and seldom used.

Wildlife: 300mm (450mm with crop body sensor) gives you good distance from the wildlife subject, ensuring that you do not pose as a provocation/disturbance to the activities of their daily living! As for bokeh quality, do check out the review and images in here: http://lifelistchase.com/nikon-28-300mm-lens/

In addition, this lens can be used on both DX and FX body, which makes it upgrade-proof in the event when you've decided to use it for a full-frame body like the D700 or the D3(x/s)!

I hope my 2-cents worth helps! =)

Cheers,
    Ethan Lim of Life List Chase

my 24 f1.4G.... all the way
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfive View Post
    my 24 f1.4G.... all the way
    Unfortunately, this lens is way above budget >.<!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua7D
    ^^

I must be missing something... Why is the 28-300mm VR, Nikon's intended all purpose travel lens that is cheaper, not considered here?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I must be missing something... Why is the 28-300mm VR, Nikon's intended all purpose travel lens that is cheaper, not considered here?
    Imo the 28-300mm is not really built for pic quality. It's more of a all in one choice. The bokeh on this lens is rather horrible ....

Thanks for the suggestion though.

When I wants to travel light I would just bring my sigma 17-70.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    then post #23 talking about which lens?
    Exploring! :)

test your skill/creativity .... just use a 50mm

Quote Originally Posted by mazeppa26 View Post
    test your skill/creativity .... just use a 50mm
    That's like telling Michael Schumacher to test his driving skill by driving a saloon car in an F1 race....

I don't see how forcing yourself to use a single focal length lens is 'testing your skill'...

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    That's like telling Michael Schumacher to test his driving skill by driving a saloon car in an F1 race....

I don't see how forcing yourself to use a single focal length lens is 'testing your skill'...
    that's assuming you're good enough to be michael schumacher and your current project is like an F1 race.
    Team FX Nikon
    Pet peeve: The word is 'lens', not 'len'

Quote Originally Posted by nickzkcin View Post
    that's assuming you're good enough to be michael schumacher and your current project is like an F1 race.
    No assumption required.

The point is that it's not really logical to intentionally limit your equipment in order to test yourself. The final result is what matters. You use the appropriate equipment that you can obtain, to get the result that you want.
    I don't see professional wedding photogs 'test themselves' by shooting an entire wedding with a 300mm f/2.8, for example.
    or a sports photographer covering a football match using a UWA throughout, in order to 'test his skill'.

No assumption required.

The point is that it's not really logical to intentionally limit your equipment in order to test yourself. The final result is what matters. You use the appropriate equipment that you can obtain, to get the result that you want.
    I don't see professional wedding photogs 'test themselves' by shooting an entire wedding with a 300mm f/2.8, for example.
    or a sports photographer covering a football match using a UWA throughout, in order to 'test his skill'.
    That's absolutely right.
    Why let the equipment limit your creativity and end results? Get the best equipment that you can afford to and utilize it to create the photos you desire.
    If want to test yourself, you can participate the international level photo competitions like the WPPI print competition or target to get a great testimonial from your clients after delivering your photos to them.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

No assumption required.

difference is that the wedding photographer, sports photographer and michael schumacher are all paid. travel photography is very seldom paid unless you're commissioned, hence you have no obligation(except to yourself) to perform. This is akin to your analogy to an F1 race.

limiting yourself to a certain restriction can be a good learning tool and a good test of skill. i took a class when i was a beginner and one of the very first lessons i've learned was to use a DSLR without metering and autofocus, and it pretty much forced me to learn the basics and when I finally had my camera meter and focus for me again, I had a greater appreciation and understanding for its use. there's the test of skill right here. I agree with getting the best equipment to produce the best images you can. But you first need to learn the equipment somehow. And this is with regard to your analogy to Michael Schumacher.

To OP: I'd recommend getting a 35mm f/1.8 and not to worry too much about the lens.
    Team FX Nikon
    Pet peeve: The word is 'lens', not 'len'

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    That's absolutely right.
    Why let the equipment limit your creativity and end results? Get the best equipment that you can afford to and utilize it to create the photos you desire.
    If want to test yourself, you can participate the international level photo competitions like the WPPI print competition or target to get a great testimonial from your clients after delivering your photos to them.
    Sorry I may be abit off topic, but from your sig you only use prime lenses mainly. Do you have any thoughts to share?
    If I sold my 14-24 and 24-70 I'd probably be able to afford the 24/50/85 combo...

difference is that the wedding photographer, sports photographer and michael schumacher are all paid. travel photography is very seldom paid unless you're commissioned, hence you have no obligation(except to yourself) to perform. This is akin to your analogy to an F1 race.

limiting yourself to a certain restriction can be a good learning tool and a good test of skill. i took a class when i was a beginner and one of the very first lessons i've learned was to use a DSLR without metering and autofocus, and it pretty much forced me to learn the basics and when I finally had my camera meter and focus for me again, I had a greater appreciation and understanding for its use. there's the test of skill right here. I agree with getting the best equipment to produce the best images you can. But you first need to learn the equipment somehow. And this is with regard to your analogy to Michael Schumacher.

To OP: I'd recommend getting a 35mm f/1.8 and not to worry too much about the lens.
    I can see where you are coming from but IMO, there are some effects a 35mm alone cannot produce (perspective of wide angle shots, etc) as it is not just a matter of moving back and forwards with a fixed focal length, so to some extent having the proper lens is important to me.

That's a big assumption that all wedding and sport photographers are paid How about another one? Birders?
    But anyway you're entitled to your opinion about learning through intentionally 'handicapping' yourself, so let's just agree to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicAngelz View Post
    Sorry I may be abit off topic, but from your sig you only use prime lenses mainly. Do you have any thoughts to share?
    If I sold my 14-24 and 24-70 I'd probably be able to afford the 24/50/85 combo...
    14-24 and 24-70 are excellent lenses. It all depends on your shooting styles and needs.
    I use prime lenses because I have get used to them for shooting weddings since day 1 and I have been developing my own styles with these prime lenses. Other wedding photographers use 14-24 and 24-70 as their main lenses too and they have created amazing photos with these lenses.
    Hence, you may shoot more to discover which lenses suit your needs most. Nobody can advise you what are the best combo to be used.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

For me the set up that works quite well is a DX body+18-200 VR+12-24 f4+50 mm f1.8. This is fairly light, fits in my backpack with clothes & covers the entire spectrum of focal lengths I want giving up some image quality. My 18-200 was bit soft on my D80, but on my D7000 with proper tuning its quite sharp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast